Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

bilston wrote: »
    That was reported earlier but VP of Malaysia Airlines Europe went through the manifest in nationality terms and didn't mention any American passengers. 154 Dutch, 27 Australian, 23 Malaysian, 11 Indonesian, 6 UK, 4 France plus some Germans and a Canadian. He did say there were others whose nationality he didn't know so maybe they are Americans.

47 of unconfirmed nationality

Confirmed:
    154 Dutch
    15 Malaysian crew
    23 Malaysians
    27 Australians
    6 British
    4 Germans
    4 Belgians
    11 Indonesians
    3 Filipinos
    1 Canadian

French Embassy says 4 of their citizens were also lost. There's also been reports of 23-25 Americans onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Selfish or not, let's hope no Irish involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Jake1 wrote: »
    Ive been watching a Rssian news report, jesus, the coverage is very graphic. Like something from a horror movie :(

I have to ask, why on earth are camera crews allowed so close to a crash site. Who knows what evidence they could be trampling on.

It doesn't matter how realistic the movie's makeup is, seeing a pic of an actual dead body is far more disturbing, especially after a violent death such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Who says that lightening never strikes in the same place twice? Whether or not Malaysia Airlines can be assigned any fault in either of these incidents, I don't think they will survive this. Probably the two biggest (in terms of circumstances of the loss of the aircrafts) civilian airline incidents since 2001 within five months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

It doesn't matter how realistic the movie's makeup is, seeing a pic of an actual dead body is far more disturbing, especially after a violent death such as this.
    Absolutely.

I opened a page about the crash and scrolled down very slowly...first view of one of the poor victims and straight to the x on the tab.

I urge people not to be curious and go for a look. It's not beneficial to see those images.

You see dead bodies quite a lot in the news regarding war and famine etc, but something like this is on another level I think, and those images get burned into your memory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Selfish or not, let's hope no Irish involved.

Ridiculous statement.
    Why does an Irish person you never meet mean more than an Brit, American, Malaysian etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Fudge You wrote: »
    Ridiculous statement.
    Why does an Irish person you never meet mean more than an Brit, American, Malaysian etc??

Who are you to decide it's a ridiculous statement? It's up to them to decide who means more to them.

Ridiculous statement.

Erm. It doesn't.

It just makes it closer to home if any Irish (and therefore possibly someone I, or someone I know, know) Were involved.

Fcuk sake. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ukraine say they have recordings of 2 rebel officers discussing shooting the aircraft out of the sky.....not sure how much creedance we should give this

mada82 wrote: »
    Who are you to decide it's a ridiculous statement? It's up to them to decide who means more to them.

And who is the poster to dismiss people's lives, that have just died.

Not everyone on this website is Irish.

• Advertisement

Erm. It doesn't.

It just makes it closer to home if any Irish (and therefore possibly someone I, or someone I know, know) Were involved.

Fcuk sake. :rolleyes:

Save your rolleyes.
    There was no need for your comment. And you know there wasnt.

was it terrorism ? just found out now trying to find the truth here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

appears on basic look to be a grade A f**k up by Russian trained/supported rebels in Ukraine..

No one knows for sure what it was as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

He hasn't dismissed anyone's life? He's simply stated his opinion that he hopes no Irish are among the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

was it terrorism ?

If it was in fact shot down by anyone (goverment or militia) then yes, it was terrorism.

Save your rolleyes.

Hi.

If you could possibly point me towards where I inferred that any life lost this afternoon, was any less tragic than an Irish life, go ahead.

Todays event was tragic, I stand by my opinion though that I hope no Irish were involved.

That doesn't have any disrespect to any other nationality that did unfortunately die. You're simply looking for something that isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

this is shocking, so many people gone...

On a side note, i'm not sure what to make of Malaysia airlines now, surely their reputation will be in tatters??

Save your rolleyes.

well, there was no need for your's either.

Ah children settle down :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

skeg16 wrote: »

On a side note, i'm not sure what to make of Malaysia airlines now, surely their reputation will be in tatters??

Well having one of their planes shot down, is hardly their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Too much of a coincidence for me that Israel start a ground offensive into Gaza to wipe out much of the Palestinian militants, and on the exact same day, the top news story for global media is instead taken by a shot down plane story.

Conspiracy theory maybe but what are the chances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

skeg16 wrote: »

what ever about the other flight (was it ever found after?)

there is pretty much nothing they could have done about this....it would be harsh on them if this ruined them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Well having one of their planes shot down, is hardly their fault.

That doesn't matter. I'd be seriously skeptical if someone says they haven't taken a massive hit after MH370. This could nail the coffin shut. Much like Pan Am were struggling, but the image of the second section of that blue and white jumbo jet (an airplane that never would have existed as it did without Pan Am pushing and moulding its development) lying on the ground in a debris field nailed the coffin shut for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

stooge wrote: »
    Too much of a coincidence for me that Israel start a ground offensive into Gaza to wipe out much of the Palestinian militants, and on the exact same day, the top news story for global media is instead taken by a shot down plane story.

Conspiracy theory maybe but what are the chances?

Except 2 Ukrainian planes were recently shot down as well around that area, So Conspiracy theory's can stay just that. Someone in that area that's not the Ukrainian army has an advanced SAM system. And the training to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

And the training to use it.

And possibly not enough training ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Bob24 wrote: »
    And possibly not enough training ...

That's a tough one as a few passenger planes have been brought down by these kind of systems, various army's. fear orders to shoot anything down number of contributing factors. Its not as easy as pushing a red button.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

what ever about the other flight (was it ever found after?)

there is pretty much nothing they could have done about this....it would be harsh on them if this ruined them

It would be harsh and personally I'd fly with them tomorrow but I think they'll be doing well to stay afloat over the next few years.
    (Pun not intended btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Listen lad, to put it fcuking bluntly you're on an Irish website and its completely fcuking acceptable to say I hope there was no Irish killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

From The Telegraph "We reported earlier that the Ukrainian security services had released what they say are recordings proving that Russian military intelligence ordered MH17 to be shot down (20.16), and later the English transcript of that call (21.00). Here's the recording again with full English subtitles included this time"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VnuHxAR01Jo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10974050/Malaysia-Airlines-plane-crashes-on-Ukraine-Russia-border-live.html

Advertisement