Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Eramen wrote: »
    And the Americans / Nato.. or maybe that is too 'out there' for you?

Neither are in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Neither are in that area.

If Victoria Nuland and the US state department can organise special operations in Kiev such as the firing on protesters by snipers, then I'm willing to bet that there are multiple intelligence elements operating from US/Nato side in Ukraine and the Russian border as we speak. It's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What is the flight path from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur?

murpho999 wrote: »
    So they can say 153 Dutch have been killed but not from another country.

Makes no sense.

You realise that some countries don't have as good communications networks as Europe and that some places are in different timezones? Different countries will have different protocols.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

That nutcase Putin will be the death of us all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

josip wrote: »

They led Khruschev quietly off to the rubber-room for a lot less than his carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

josip wrote: »

Hmm, from regular reading of current events I could have sworn that it was Obomba who might've taken the title of 'nutcase'. He did bomb (and is currently bombing) the sh*t out of several countries and tightened the vice-like grip of the US military in E/ Europe and Asia.. precisely the reason for the current 'stirrings' .. proxy war .. in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Number of passengers updated to 283 and Britons to 9

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hmm, from regular reading of current events I could have sworn that it was Obomba who might've taken the title of 'nutcase'. He did bomb (and is currently bombing) the sh*t out of several countries and tightened the vice-like grip of the US military in E/ Europe and Asia.. precisely the reason for the current 'stirrings' .. proxy war .. in Ukraine.

In that case you've nothing to worry about since Obama will be on his merry way at the end of his second term.
    Putin is there for life, similar to Mugabe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I've just read that allegedly the airspace closed to all traffic 10 hours before the plane filed its flightplan and took off:

URRV V6158/14 17JUL0000-31AUG2359 EST

DUE TO COMBAT ACTIONS ON THE TERRITORY OF THE UKRAINE NEAR THE STATE BORDER WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION AND THE FACTS OF FRNG FM THE TERRITORY OF THE UKRAINE TOWARDS THE TERRITORY OF RUSSIAN FEDERATION, TO ENSURE INTL FLT SAFETY, ATS RTE SEGMENTS CLSD AS FLW:

A100 MIMRA - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND),

B145 KANON - ASMIL,

G247 MIMRA - BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA),

A87 TAMAK - SARNA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You realise that some countries don't have as good communications networks as Europe and that some places are in different timezones? Different countries will have different protocols.

What communication networks? As in telephones? In this day and age?

Also, have you never heard of embassies located in the same country?

I stilll dont see why a country would want knowledge of their citizen's death being held back.

I stilll dont see why a country would want knowledge of their citizen's death being held back.
    Yes, not everywhere is perfectly connected. Even in this day and age.

Timezones and distances. If it's a country when the information is released at 2am their time then it'll take time to inform families. In Holland it's going be fairly instant. Also the possibility that for some people there are connecting flights afterwards which will make tracking family down a bit more difficult.

Just because we live in a time when we feel like we're entitled to information instantly doesn't mean we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

nm wrote: »
    I've just read that allegedly the airspace closed to all traffic 10 hours before the plane filed its flightplan and took off:

URRV V6158/14 17JUL0000-31AUG2359 EST

DUE TO COMBAT ACTIONS ON THE TERRITORY OF THE UKRAINE NEAR THE STATE BORDER WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION AND THE FACTS OF FRNG FM THE TERRITORY OF THE UKRAINE TOWARDS THE TERRITORY OF RUSSIAN FEDERATION, TO ENSURE INTL FLT SAFETY, ATS RTE SEGMENTS CLSD AS FLW:

A100 MIMRA - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND),

B145 KANON - ASMIL,

G247 MIMRA - BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA),

A87 TAMAK - SARNA

The aircraft was above the closed airspace and flying in operational airspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

They're updating the nationality lists by adding to the totals. It's now up to 45 Malaysians and 9 British, for example. They're informing the families first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Obomba??? Seriously what age are you? Get a grip. Make a valid argument and don't use ridiculous puns. It's painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

A video has been released on youtube purporting to show an intercepted call from Pro-Russia rebels in eastern Ukraine.

The audio recording, which has added English subtitles, claims to have been the result of an intercept from the Ukrainian Security Service (SBU), who released the recording on their website.

It claims militants of the group led by Igor "Bes" Bezler, using a Russian air-defense missile system, shot down a civilian airliner identified as a Boeing 777 belonging to Malaysia Airlines.

In the recording, two rebels can be heard talking about a plane that has been shot down - which they first presume is a military jet. However when the man known as "Major" reports back, he is unclear what kind of aircraft they have hit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10975218/Malaysia-Airlines-crash-Intercepted-call-suggests-rebels-to-blame.html

I don't speak rusky so it's all gobbledygook to me.

Ukraine a "no fly zone" till this situation is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So from what I've gathered you need a fairly large and sophisticated piece of artillery to shoot down a boeing 777 at 30,000 feet. Something like this: http://st.depositphotos.com/1015244/1209/i/950/depositphotos_12095209-Buk-M-mobile-anti-air-missile-launcher.jpg

It seems at the moment the most likely scenario is that it was shot down by pro russian forces using military tech they got from the russians, especially when you consider that over the last few weeks they've shot down several ukranian military transport planes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

From all the coverage and amount of speculation happening tonight, I believe the following things as most plausible..

1) There is no conspiracy
    2) Israel had nothing to do with this, but may have used it to their advantage with world media attention shifting.
    3) Rebels captured or were given by Russia the advanced SAM BUK system
    4) Rebels mistook the MH17 plane for a government troop transport

RIP to all those who died needlessly and most horribly. Hope their families will someday be able to overcome all this grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Was just reading online. The aircraft had it's first flight on the 17th of July 1997 and crashed on the 17th of July 2014, exactly 17 years later flying as MH17.

Incredible co-incidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

keith16 wrote: »
    Was just reading online. The aircraft had it's first flight on the 17th of July 1997 and crashed on the 17th of July 2014, exactly 17 years later flying as MH17.

Incredible co-incidence.

Not really ... You can probably look at any flight and find multiple recurrence of the number 17 (or any other number) in associated data. If not the time of service, it wil be the distance covered (in any possible unit you can thing of), the age of the plan (in days, weeks, months, or years), the period a lapse since take-of (in seconds, minutes , hours), the serial number of the plane, the model of the plane, the number of passagers, the number of crews, etc ...

The are so many numbers associated to a flight that finding a few which match the flight number is hardly a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

If Victoria Nuland and the US state department can organise special operations in Kiev such as the firing on protesters by snipers, then I'm willing to bet that there are multiple intelligence elements operating from US/Nato side in Ukraine and the Russian border as we speak. It's possible.

lol - rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

dj jarvis wrote: »
    lol - rubbish

What is? The comment that the US would have players on the ground in the Ukraine? Highly unlikely they wouldn't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Bob24 wrote: »
    Not really ... You can probably look at any flight and find multiple recurrence of the number 17 (or any other number) in associated data. If not the time of service, it wil be the distance covered (in any possible unit you can thing of), the age of the plan (in days, weeks, months, or years), the period a lapse since take-of (in seconds, minutes , hours), the serial number of the plane, the model of the plane, the number of passagers, the number of crews, etc ...

The are so many numbers associated to a flight that finding a few which match the flight number is hardly a coincidence.

He's not talking about numbers buried in some serial number or something though. To have crashed on the exact same date as it's first flight, the 17th of July, 17 years later is quite a coincidence.

Terrible tragedy, a route like that hits close to home. I know people who have taken that route to Asia in years past. I know it doesn't make this incident more important than what is going on in other parts of the world but it's just the closeness of it, that is so easily could have been someone you know on their way to backpack around Asia or start a new life in Australia. The poor families, I can only imagine what it must be like for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Those poor poor people , I'm nearly in tears in work just reading about it. All those children , families , couples I can only imagine their terror as the plane was coming down falling apart in mid air...

Somebody needs to be held accountable for this it cannot go unpunished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Those poor poor people , I'm nearly in tears in work just reading about it. All those children , families , couples I can only imagine their terror as the plane was coming down falling apart in mid air...

Somebody needs to be held accountable for this it cannot go unpunished.

sudden decompression at that altitude would have meant instant death. Your arteries and capillaries would have exploded within seconds of the plane being hit. The passengers wouldn't have known a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Truly awful. Worst nightmare for the families and loved ones of those affected.

The Obama response was a bit strange 'looks like it may be a terrible tragedy'.
    Whether it had been an accident or as we know blown out of the sky, it is a terrible tragedy.

Such a waste of life, now all we can hope for is justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

sudden decompression at that altitude would have meant instant death. Your arteries and capillaries would have exploded within seconds of the plane being hit. The passengers wouldn't have known a thing.

Doesn't really make it any better , but thanks for the info..:(

Advertisement