Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

sudden decompression at that altitude would have meant instant death. Your arteries and capillaries would have exploded within seconds of the plane being hit. The passengers wouldn't have known a thing.

That's not true and wouldn't happen even if you were exposed to the vacum of space. The passengers would have had 15-30 seconds useful consciousness. Depending on the rate of fall and fitness of individuals, some may have regained consciousness before hitting the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

sudden decompression at that altitude would have meant instant death. Your arteries and capillaries would have exploded within seconds of the plane being hit. The passengers wouldn't have known a thing.

Near instant to immediate unconsciousness definitely for some due to drop and rapid change in blood pressure. Instant death definitely not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Obama response was a bit strange 'looks like it may be a terrible tragedy'.
    Whether it had been an accident or as we know blown out of the sky, it is a terrible tragedy.

Not really, America have shot down a passenger airliner in the past so coming out with anything more strongly critical would appear, at the very least, hypocritical.

Hopefully they catch those responsible, and if it was Russain weapons supplied to the rebels (must have been pretty heavy weaponry to take out a plane at forty thousan feet) that they're suitably punished.

This will probably spell the end for Malaysian Airlines as well, regardless of it not being their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I was watching the rolling coverage of this after work yesterday evening. The first-hand evidence of the American freelance journalist at the scene to CNN made me feel physically ill. I cannot imaging the horror of coming on that scene.

This is a huge international incident and I would be worried about the crash site being compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Unconfirmed reports that someone working for Apple in Cork were on the plane with their family.Supposedly they were being transferred by Apple to Singapore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Unconfirmed reports that someone working for Apple in Cork were on the plane with their family.Supposedly they were being transferred by Apple to Singapore.

If its off Twitter then take it with a pinch of salt. The Dept of Foreign Affairs have said that there is no indication that any Irish were on board at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is that the body of a child lying to the left of the firefighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

gandalf wrote: »
    If its off Twitter then take it with a pinch of salt. The Dept of Foreign Affairs have said that there is no indication that any Irish were on board at this stage.

We'll soon find out.They may not be Irish.Apple would have a multi national workforce here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Already on my FB I'm seeing the conspiracy theories roll out; Passengers were fake, Israel shot it down, Illuminati were responsible, signs of the occult and satanism are all over this, New World Order, etc.

Is that the body of a child lying to the left of the firefighter?

There was one particularly heart wrenching picture I saw on Twitter last night of a nearly naked dead baby lying face down in what appeared to be a ploughed field.

The person who pressed the button firing the missile and the one who gave the order should be made to look at the photos of the aftermath of their act every day for the rest of their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Already on my FB I'm seeing the conspiracy theories roll out; Passengers were fake, Israel shot it down, Illuminati were responsible, signs of the occult and satanism are all over this, New World Order, etc.
    unfortunately, that's because a lot of people are utter fcuking idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Its like people just cant accept reality and have to make up sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

vibe666 wrote: »
    unfortunately, that's because a lot of people are utter fcuking idiots.

A glance over at sister site theJournal.ie confirms.

That place is the dark side of crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not really, America have shot down a passenger airliner in the past so coming out with anything more strongly critical would appear, at the very least, hypocritical.

Hopefully they catch those responsible, and if it was Russain weapons supplied to the rebels (must have been pretty heavy weaponry to take out a plane at forty thousan feet) that they're suitably punished.

This will probably spell the end for Malaysian Airlines as well, regardless of it not being their fault.

When did the US shoot down a passenger airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

I remember the first thing I said to myself when I saw the wreckage video on liveleak was "those body's look fake"

They almost looked like manikins but what would I know, I've never seen a plane wreckage before...it just looked very surreal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

murpho999 wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

keith16 wrote: »
    Was just reading online. The aircraft had it's first flight on the 17th of July 1997 and crashed on the 17th of July 2014, exactly 17 years later flying as MH17.

Incredible co-incidence.
    And July 17th was Angela Merkel's 60th birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

skeg16 wrote: »
    I remember the first thing I said to myself when I saw the wreckage video on liveleak was "those body's look fake"...

Most people would say that. Death has a very peculiar grey indeed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

26 years ago. Iran Air flight shot down by surface to air missiles from a US Navy ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I remember the first thing I said to myself when I saw the wreckage video on liveleak was "those body's look fake"

They almost looked like manikins but what would I know, I've never seen a plane wreckage before...it just looked very surreal

So you really think somebody had fake bodies on standby in that area on the off chance that a plane came down.

I saw the video too and they looked real to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

90s in the Persian gulf. Mistook it for a Iranian fighter. To be fair they didn't go all trigger happy on it like these clowns in Ukraine.

There's a aircrash inveatigation documentary on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So you really think somebody had fake bodies on standby in that area on the off chance that a plane came down.

I saw the video too and they looked real to me.

I wish I hadn't seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's hard to imagine what victims of a plane crash look like to most people. It's not something they'd be used to seeing and not something even Hollywood could recreate, the sheer brutality of it.

At the moment everything I have seen suggests that the Pro-Russians are responsible thinking they were firing on a Ukrainian AN-26, a model that they had already shot down on the 14th (and the Ukrainians reported that it was taken down by a missile "larger than a handheld anti-air missile").

They posted right after the Malaysian plane disappeared from radar that they shot down a Ukrainian plane only to delete the post when the mistake was realised.

Today more pictures have emerged of Pro_Russian Separatists moving a Buk Anti-Aircraft system on trucks in the days preceding the shooting down in an area where the missile is suspected of being fired from.

The Ukrainians are reporting that the system has been smuggled across the Border into Russia overnight (although I would take that with a pinch of salt unless it is verified by others).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Watched that Liveleak video:(

opening up the passports for the camera was a very nasty thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

gandalf wrote: »
    At the moment everything I have seen suggests that the Pro-Russians are responsible thinking they were firing on a Ukrainian AN-26, a model that they had already shot down on the 14th (and the Ukrainians reported that it was taken down by a missile "larger than a handheld anti-air missile").

They posted right after the Malaysian plane disappeared from radar that they shot down a Ukrainian plane only to delete the post when the mistake was realised.

Today more pictures have emerged of Pro_Russian Separatists moving a Buk Anti-Aircraft system on trucks in the days preceding the shooting down in an area where the missile is suspected of being fired from.

The Ukrainians are reporting that the system has been smuggled across the Border into Russia overnight (although I would take that with a pinch of salt unless it is verified by others).

Its all pointing in one direction alright.

Though (personally) I think the missile system was captured by the rebels from the Ukrainian army..... Rebel leaders were boasting about its capture.
    The Ukrainian gov seem embarrassed to admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Most tasteful contribution so far:
    "Is it another sign to consider life insurance? #PrayForMH17."

- Australian life insurance marketing company, reported in The Sydney Morning Herald.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

There were some newspapers ( russian and foreign ) reporting that Putins plane might have been the target. I'm sorry I can't post any links , wouldn't let me as I am new .( always browse , rarely comment)
    . I honestly find it hard to believe that it was pro russians that shot the plane , yes , they did shoot a few low flying military ukrainian aircraft , but considering there is a 24-7 war in those areas , this passenger plane going down is the last thing they need .
    As it was shot down in the area , it is obvious the finger would point at pro russians , so to me it could have been done by ukrainians.
    Anyone saying that ukrainians dont have the ammunition or training to shoot down plane at 10km , in 2001 they accidentally shot down a plane full of russian israelis over black sea , nearly 100 people died.

. And how quickly they came out with apparently intercepted phone calls between the " terrorists " and screen shots of the rebels celebrating bringing down the plane .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Inquitus wrote: »
    I wish I hadn't seen them.

I'm glad I haven't.

Some things should be left unseen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Most tasteful contribution so far:

- Australian life insurance marketing company, reported in The Sydney Morning Herald.

ah here

Advertisement