Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

calex71 wrote: »
    BBC reporting AP had witnessed a BUK launcher in the hands of rebels today :eek:

Wonder where they got that, Not like you can go into a shop and buy one. And you need proper training to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

BBC reporting AP had witnessed a BUK launcher in the hands of rebels today :eek:

I had to ask Jeeves, Google.. Wiki sorted me out.
    The Buk missile system (Russian: "Бук"; beech, /bʊk/ BOOK) is a family of self-propelled, medium-range surface-to-air missile systems developed by the former Soviet Union and Russian Federation and designed to engage cruise missiles, smart bombs, fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft, and unmanned aerial vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buk_missile_system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sorry, what am I looking at there?

A very sharp and a fast decent of an aircraft :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    I had to ask Jeeves, Google.. Wiki sorted me out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buk_missile_system

Yeah unlikely the kind of kit joe the untrained rebel could operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think that 'decent' is actually the plane taking off.

It shows it climbing to and maintaining an altitude of 33,000 and then data stops being transmitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

GPS positions, as reported by the plane. Last one at 1:13pm BST, at pretty much the same position shown in my earlier link.

http://goo.gl/maps/JebWi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's (apparently) the flight in question being tracked. Some time between 13:11 and 13:13 the feed stops - likely the plane stopped transmitting. It's a pretty cold, impersonal way of viewing hundreds of deaths. :(

I think that 'decent' is actually the plane taking off.

It shows it climbing to and maintaining an altitude of 33,000 and then data stops being transmitted.

Oh you are right I think , I read that backwards :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

This is terrible, especially if it was shot down as some are reporting. Assuming that it was shot down from some distance, it does not give those on board much of a chance... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

at what time? the last time shown is 13:11 and an altitude of 33000 feet.

ninja'd by another poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Christ, the poor sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Local news reporting it was shot down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

God bless those poor souls.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I wonder how the US Administration and European Politicians will react to this. So many vested (economic) interests..

There are so many drawbacks to having an 'unstable' Russia, unwilling to behave normally, in the region. Really quite unsettling.

Watching the CNN coverage & an interview with a NTSB spokesperson, she said it was unlikely that a scheduled flight @30,000ft would be mistaken for a military aircraft.

(Amazingly, she also did have to point out that this isn't the missing Malaysian flight from several weeks ago!)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Just happened after a Ukraine jet shot down yesterday.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28345039
    If either party are to blame for this one, things are going to get very messy.

The only party that should be to blame is the Malaysian pilot/flight planners.
    Imagine flying over an active war zone where militiary aircraft are being shot down (one was shot down yesterday!), civilian air traffic control and military air force may not be communicating with each other (especially if on opposing sides of the war!). It may have been mistaken for a spy plane.
    I mean, how stupid can you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stupid me thought it was the one missing for ages :o

God love them all RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Amalgam wrote: »
    I wonder how the US Administration and European Politicians will react to this. So many vested (economic) interests..

There are so many drawbacks to having an 'unstable' Russia, unwilling to behave normally, in the region. Really quite unsettling.

Obama has shown himself to be completely toothless so far.. I wonder if this will change that.

Interesting and scary times ahead I'd say =/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Doubt that the Russians will let themselves face the blame (blame separatists) but if it is proved that they are responsible and that there are US or EU citizens on board then you wonder what sort of action (if any) should be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

who_me wrote: »

(Amazingly, she also did have to point out that this isn't the missing Malaysian flight from several weeks ago!)

What is so amazing about that? The missing flight was Malaysian, and also a Boeing 777 and who on earth would fly over an active war zone where an aircraft was shot down yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Christ what a messed up world. All that's on the news these days are wars, killings and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Jesus it would never have entered my mind the thought of being shot down on a commercial flight. It's really shocking stuff if confirmed.
    If true the best anyone can really hope for is that they didn't know much about it. :(

The only party that should be to blame is the Malaysian pilot/flight planners.
    Imagine flying over an active war zone where militiary aircraft are being shot down (one was shot down yesterday!), civilian air traffic control and military air force may not be communicating with each other (especially if on opposing sides of the war!). It may have been mistaken for a spy plane.
    I mean, how stupid can you get?

I doubt if it's possible to avoid flying over warzones in many parts of the world. I'm sure there are even flights taking off from/landing in many warzones at the moment. And "East Ukraine" is a big area to fly around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jesus it would never have entered my mind the thought of being shot down on a commercial flight. It's really shocking stuff if confirmed.
    If true the best anyone can really hope for is that they didn't know much about it. :(
    It's rare, only ones I can think of are the Vincennes (Iran) and the Soviets shooting down a Korean flight, both in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

What is so amazing about that? The missing flight was Malaysian, and also a Boeing 777 and who on earth would fly over an active war zone where an aircraft was shot down yesterday?

It's amazing that someone would think a plane missing for the last few months and presumed lost would miraculously appear on the other side of the world in the middle of an armed conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wonder where they got that, Not like you can go into a shop and buy one. And you need proper training to use them.

Russians I guess.

If this does turn out to the the case, what will the repercussions be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Rebels mistook it for a government troop transport?

And it wouldn't be the first time Russian forces or Russian backed forces have downed a civilian airliner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Yep, a lot of Europeans likely to be on this.
    :(

That's what Dutch news is reporting. Lots of Dutch and Europeans. No survivors.

This is hitting very close to home. The scotch will be getting an airing in this house tonight.

Advertisement