Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 cabbageandtay

Classy stuff from the Russians there.

International politics is rarely cut and dry but to me, blame for this can be laid with confidence at the feet of those in the Kremlin. They not only goaded separatists in eastern Ukraine but actually gave them the weaponry used to commit this outrage.

Why would Russians want to do this? How would they benefit?
    Why would you kill people just for the craic? Why?

The situation that led up to this is Russia stealing territory from a neighbouring country and then stirring up unrest in that neighbouring country and arming, instigating and training rebels to incite a civil war to use as a pretext to invade eastern Ukraine.

Unfortunately for comrade Putin, his henchmen in Ukraine shot down an international civilian airliner.

When did Russia steal territory from a neighbouring country?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Why would Russians want to do this? How would they benefit?
    Why would you kill people just for the craic? Why?

There are people in this world who kill other for the Craic (compulsive serial killers for a start) ... but this is not what happened here.

Some irresponsable guys were likely told Ukrainian airplanes are the enemy and given heaving weaponry to take care of that enemy. Only problem is these people had no clue about what they were doing and got the wrong target.

But whats the alternative,stand around and let the corpses rot?.Action needs to be taken fast.The rebels just seem to be covering and marking where the bodies are.

There are hundreds of bodies rotting in the sun in Gaza. Action need to be taken FAST....right?

When did Russia steal territory from a neighbouring country?

I see you just woke-up from hibernation and are catching up with the latest world events. Welcome back and congrats on the successful experiment.

• Advertisement

rockbeast wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if the "insurgent" that gave the order and/or pushed the button that shot down that flight hasn't already had a bullet through the head on the side of a road. I don't believe anybody wanted this.

It certainly benefits some.

Airliners flying at 10 kilometres above are not accidentally shot down. Whoever shot this plane down wasn't firing at clouds for fun. They knew they were shooting down a plane. What's more, they knew they were shooting down a passenger plane.

So for you to think that some dolt fired his pea-shooter in the air...up to 30,000 feet ...you know where planes look like specks when overhead, and was then taken aside and whacked is laughable.

The plane was shot down on purpose.

The only questions are by whom and why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Terrible tragedy. One that makes me genuinely angry. Doesn't help that I am flying back to Sydney from Kathmandu next week with the same airline.

The current situation is one you get when Europe outsources it's foreign policy might to the US and the current US leadership is the weakest since Jimmy Carter. I wonder will RBB and his lefty bleeding heart friends in the Irish anti war movement be protesting the slaughter of 298 civilians.will they ****! Too busy blaming the US and Israel for all the ills of the world. Idiots.

RIP to all those on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

WTF is wrong with you?

Edit, just twigged you've only signed up. I think your intentions are quite clear.

Got it in one...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Terrible tragedy. One that makes me genuinely angry. Doesn't help that I am flying back to Sydney from Kathmandu next week with the same airline.

The current situation is one you get when Europe outsources it's foreign policy might to the US and the current US leadership is the weakest since Jimmy Carter. I wonder will RBB and his lefty bleeding heart friends in the Irish anti war movement be protesting the slaughter of 298 civilians.will they ****! Too busy blaming the US and Israel for all the ills of the world. Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

jank wrote: »

Yes, a plane was shot from the sky in Ukraine, let's slate Boyd Barrett and the "loony left".

That statement is bizarre tbh.

• Advertisement

old_aussie wrote: »
    The United Nations said 80 of the 298 aboard were children.

That's numbing.

Fairly normal statistic. I would imagine that out of the 298, approximately 140 to 150 were females.

Bob24 wrote: »
    While this type of reasoning s is mostly irrational ... I think you have a point. I was surprised to see quite a number of people saying they wouldn't fly with them anymore on social media.

How big an actual impact it will have, I don't know.

Also I don't know how significant it is, but I am assuming losing 2 airplanes and crews and managing these events has cost them a good bit of money and is hitting the morale of their staff.

American Airlines have I believe the 3rd worst safety in history. Who's going to stop flying on their horrible buckets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

American Airlines have I believe the 3rd worst safety in history. Who's going to stop flying on their horrible buckets?

Look....you are pushing your agenda so hard it is getting embarrassing

galwayqqq wrote: »
    I cant believe they haven't recovered the bodies yet.
    I made the mistake of looking at some of the graphic pictures from the crash site. There was one of a little girl , face down in the mud. There was nothing else around her , no other victims , no plane parts, just her little body all alone.
    She was obviously ripped from her mothers arms as the plane went down.
    Couldn't sleep last night thinging about it and now to hear on Sky News that the bodies are still there and are now being looted!!!

What the fcuk is wrong with us as a species.

Ripped from her mother's arms? How? By an explosion 7 miles up in the sky?

Take a watermelon and drop it from 2 storeys up..ok? Now take that same watermelon and drop it from 10 kilometres up. Little watermelon, dead but intact in the mud?'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Given that the internet as we know it was pioneered largely by the US military, you should probably stop using it.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I definitely think the type of people who are posing for a picture as the one below (and have obviously been gathering people's belonging, see the right part of the picture) would do something like this, yes.

Very sad and indeed I dare to hope not too many people around here would be doing such thing, but this is the world we live in.

By what stretch of the imagination is a guy holding up a stuffed toy in anyway indicative of people robbing corpses? And if that pile of immaculate luggage just went through an explosion at 30,000 feet and then plunged to earth then I would love to know who the manufacturer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Samsonite of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

I think one of the most heartbreaking things about this is that all those poor people are still laying out there in those fields. I can't imagine knowing my loved one was laying out there in that state, without dignity. I keep thinking of the parents who put their 3 kids on the plane with their grandad. To lose them in this way is bad enough but to think of them being left there. I just can't take the sadness.

fedor.2. wrote: »
    What are you on about?

I'm "on" about the bizarre claims of people looting corpses.

They're as unbelievable, though just as disgusting, as the bullsh1t claims made by tabloids that Liverpool football fans robbed corpses on the pitch at Hillsborough. A sickening claim.

Where is the evidence that people are robbing corpses from this plane wreck? I doubt there is ANY evidence, yet someone or ones have broadcast it and now it's all of a sudden true, regardless of whether or not it's true. Nobody's job will be lost as a result of this spurious claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

By what stretch of the imagination is a guy holding up a stuffed toy in anyway indicative of people robbing corpses? And if that pile of immaculate luggage just went through an explosion at 30,000 feet and then plunged to earth then I would love to know who the manufacturer is.

Have to say I thought the same about those piles of luggage how are they in such good condition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Have to say I thought the same about those piles of luggage how are they in such good condition?

The luggage is stored in large steel containers...

Depending on the point of missile impact, the containers not immediately obliterated may well have smashed apart on impact leaving the pretty robust suitcase relatively intact.

I don't see a conspiracy here, I can't imagine the Russian forces in the area pulling off such a hoax.

I think being within overhead bins which themselves are within the cabin makes luggage on of the most protected thing on the plane. I guess amongst the belonging of 300 passengers a few of them would remain in decent condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Behaviour of the rebels with the International observers is shocking. Obviously hiding a lot. Just let the observers do their jobs ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

If this was not the work, albeit accidental, of russian supplied separatists, Putin would have come out with the evidence rather than let himself get backed into o a corner by every country and the strong allegations from the us and Europe. He would have satellites trained on that region 24/7....it is his war after all. He knows exactly what happened. And his silence....his inability to counter any of the accusations, says an awful lot.

All of a sudden he is very conciliatory....calling for talks and an end to the Ukrainian crisis. A sudden change of tone. He knows his Ukrainian adventure has turned into a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Banned - again

By what stretch of the imagination is a guy holding up a stuffed toy in anyway indicative of people robbing corpses?

Let me add a few more details that might be less obvious on the picture but I managed to see:

an armed guy posing holding up a stuffed toy next to a stack of dead passenger's belongings.

I would also add that this same man was seen as part of a group which prevented the international investigator's team from exploring the site, and was described by them as "impolite", "unprofessional", "slightly drunk", and having fired guns in the air to scare them away.

Indeed, how could people think this group of people would be robbing copses?
    And if that pile of immaculate luggage just went through an explosion at 30,000 feet and then plunged to earth then I would love to know who the manufacturer is.

So what are you saying about this luggage exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

If this was not the work, albeit accidental, of russian supplied separatists, Putin would have come out with the evidence rather than let himself get backed into o a corner by every country and the strong allegations from the us and Europe. He would have satellites trained on that region 24/7....it is his war after all. He knows exactly what happened. And his silence....his inability to counter any of the accusations, says an awful lot.

All of a sudden he is very conciliatory....calling for talks and an end to the Ukrainian crisis. A sudden change of tone. He knows his Ukrainian adventure has turned into a disaster

And if this is the case he must face justice accordingly. I suspect he won't though. I think Putin has too big an ego to admit to such a grave error. That error being arming lunatic rebels to the teeth which has resulted in such a devastating loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They're russians by all accounts

Oh, of course they are because Russian s are bad and Ukrainians are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Even though you cannot apportion blame to Malaysia Airlines, there will be a certain reluctance among many people to fly with them again. I think that the airline will have to undergo some sort of transformation to remain as a viable airline - even simple things such as changing the name.

In addition, pretty much everyone now knows what a Malaysia Airlines plane looks like; and hence it'll be associated with death and disaster, so they should really change that too. It's unlucky that the airline had to suffer two freak accidents in 5 months but to prosper like before they'll have to make these small alterations. Through a new identity, it'll help battle perceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Twitter has more 'updates' on this including accusations that the credit cards of victims may have been used, that access is on the road only and not on the site by order of whoever the people on site is (rebels or whatever) but the latest is by a crowd called CCTV News saying MH17 "was told to fly lower by Ukrainian air traffic control."

The Transport Minister also feels the site isn't secured. Tbh, this investigation has been compromised since the start.

Advertisement