Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Amalgam wrote: »
    I wonder how the US Administration and European Politicians will react to this. So many vested (economic) interests..

There are so many drawbacks to having an 'unstable' Russia, unwilling to behave normally, in the region. Really quite unsettling.

We need to be careful. Even if this was Rusian kit and the idiot firing it is Russian or had Russian training, it is unlikely that Russia's intent was for people to shoot down passenger aircraft. Even they aren't that crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Christ what a messed up world. All that's on the news these days are wars, killings and death.

It's always been that way though I guess.
    I can't comprehend how someone like the US President could ever give the go ahead to bombing a country know that there will be many civilian casualties. Never in the world would I want someone killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Indo says no survivors ;-(

Surely the end of Malaysian Airlines

RIP passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Rebels mistook it for a government troop transport?

And it wouldn't be the first time Russian forces or Russian backed forces have downed a civilian airliner.

Quite possibly.

Russian News Source

Translation:
    Donetsk, July 17. / ITAR-TASS /. Militias proclaimed the People's Republic of Donetsk (DNI) near the town of Torez downed military transport aircraft An-26 Ukrainian Air Force. This is reported by witnesses from the scene. According to them, the plane was hit by a missile, and then began to lose altitude, crashed to the ground and burned.
    Militia proclaimed the People's Republic of Lugansk (LC) July 14, also shot down the AN-26 Ukrainian Air Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Russia will deny responsibility and the western governments will accept it as it's not in their interests to raise aggression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Awful news!

If Russia is to blame, why would they do it in the 1st place?
    What purpose does shooting down a passenger plane serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Ukraine and separatists blaming each other, but Russian separatists released a press statement claiming to have downed a military transport plane at the same time. - unconfirmed reports, Dutch news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

What is so amazing about that? The missing flight was Malaysian, and also a Boeing 777 and who on earth would fly over an active war zone where an aircraft was shot down yesterday?

It's pretty unlikely that someone could have stolen a 777, landed it safely, kept it hidden for several weeks despite one of the largest search and rescue operations in recent times, then taken off and flown thousands of miles to the Ukraine without anyone noticing it en route until it enters a border area in dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Would be nice to have some UN peacekeepers in that region at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jaysus there's a poster on the A&A Forum who changed his flight from this one to an earlier one. :eek:

**** me I'd be goosed mentally for a while if that ever happened me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91319021&postcount=62

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

If true, and it's looking likely, this could have the potential to finish the airline. If it's due to mechanical or pilot error any way.

I certainly would be apprehensive of flying with them now, (rightly or wrongly)

Yup, they're goners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

The world seems like a melting pot at the moment. So much madness going on all over. Has it been confirmed the flight was downed? Shocking if true and even more shocking considering Malaysian 'lost' a 777 a few months back which frankly I find very hard to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

It's fascinating how people react to a vacuum of information these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

BBC quoting a defence expert as saying that satellite imagery would be able to pick up if long range weaponry has been used. No doubt the US would have one trained on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

cson wrote: »
    Jaysus there's a poster on the A&A Forum who changed his flight from this one to an earlier one. :eek:

**** me I'd be goosed mentally for a while if that ever happened me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91319021&postcount=62

This assumes that this exact plane was deliberately targeted for many weeks in advance - this isn't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

There's already some creep on Twitter saying it was shot down to deflect the world's attention from Israel's actions in Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BBC reporting it has to have been an air - air missile, who knows, whoever pressed the button on the rocket is a bastard. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 loosetongue

Just listening to sky news and it said that questions will be asked as to why the planed was flying in middle of Ukraine as pilots have been instructed not to fly in that area.

It seems like the separatists probably assumed it was a Ukrainian military plane carrying a large number of Ukrainian soldiers possibly about to parachute down somewhere for military operations. They probably assumed it was not a passenger airline as they have been instructed not to fly in that area. From what sky news was saying its likely it was a surface to air missile as mobile RPG would not have the range to shoot it down 10,000 feet in the air. Seems highly unlikely that they just found such hardware lying around and that Russia did not supply it.

Pretty scary so close to Europe and really escalates the situation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Wow . Watching sky news now. Just heard about it . This must be bad for stock prices .

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

It's fascinating how people react to a vacuum of information these days.

Tell us more about the auld days Grandad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Wow . Watching sky news now. Just heard about it . This must be bad for stock prices .

That's your initial reaction? Stock prices? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

mal1 wrote: »
    Tell us more about the auld days Grandad.

Well in my day we would me much less ghoulish and wait for the facts to come out in the newspaper. Then we would discuss them rationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It crashed just over an hour ago and all the news channels already have weapons and military experts on for interviews. Can they not just wait until more details become clear before whipping up a load of fear and hysteria?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

This is hitting very close to home. The scotch will be getting an airing in this house tonight.

You're going on a whiskey bender because a plane you know no-one on was shot down?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Just listening to sky news and it said that questions will be asked as to why the planed was flying in middle of Ukraine as pilots have been instructed not to fly in that area.

It seems like the separatists probably assumed it was a Ukrainian military plane carrying a large number of Ukrainian soldiers possibly about to parachute down somewhere for military operations. They probably assumed it was not a passenger airline as they have been instructed not to fly in that area. From what sky news was saying its likely it was a surface to air missile as mobile RPG would not have the range to shoot it down 10,000 feet in the air. Seems highly unlikely that they just found such hardware lying around and that Russia did not supply it.

Pretty scary so close to Europe and really escalates the situation there.

It was flying at 10,000 metres, not feet. That is cruising altitude.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    You're going on a whiskey bender because a plane you know no-one on was shot down?

No. It's not for me. My partner started that plane up this afternoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

No. It's not for me. My partner started that plane up this afternoon.

Eh?

Im not being insensitive. Just genuinely confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The fighter jet pilot would need permission to take it down surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That is an unbelievable turn of events.

How can it happen that civilian airliners are flying over a conflict zone where ground-to-air engagements with sophisticated weapons are taking place. Absolute lunacy.

And for it to be another Malaysian plane is bonkers. A 10 on the Garth Brooks scale.

• Advertisement

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Eh?

Im not being insensitive. Just genuinely confused.

He's an ATC in Schiphol, start up control. He spoke to the pilots to give them start up instructions today. Gets home from work to hear this.

Advertisement