Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

floggg wrote: »
    Would it be any less horrible if they were of different nationalities?

Like it or not, and this goes for anywhere in the world, generally people will feel something more deeply the closer to home it is. It's a kind of defense mechanism in a way. First comes family, then friends, then acquaintances, then countrymen and it sort of fans out from there. If we didn't have this, we'd never want to get out of bed in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Big time. Twitter needs better censorship when events like this occur.

I actually too afraid of what I'd see, so I'm refusing to log into my Twitter. Horrible enough seeing the few pics some guy posted in A+A

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's much more anti-dickhead I can assure you.

Take a trip to the politics forum and start a thread "The Long Term Consequences of Israel and Malaysia Airliner Crash".

I'm pretty sure he's banned from politics for his inane ramblings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

beks101 wrote: »
    You know the answer to that.

Obviously this one has hit a lot closer to home and the likelihood of Irish/British/European passengers and of many boardsies actually knowing people on board is a lot higher than say MH370.

True. Flew that route in the opposite direction with Malaysian some years ago on the way home from Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Or not censorship only does one thing, Its never a good idea in regards to real life events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

6541 wrote: »
    Really disturbing pictures on Twitter.

I don't want to see them. The dead deserve at least a shred of dignity.

Heart breaking story, those poor people :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Planes will have to avoid Ukraine arispace from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

reports that a separatist leader posted online that he had shot down a Ukrainian military aircraft , the post were taken down shortly after it became known that it was civilian

anyone else hear this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Ah here. It's a discussion about a horrible tragedy in which an awful lot of poor people lost their lives. It's not the right thread to peddle personal agendas.

I'm not peddling personal agenda's. I'm giving my personal opinion. But you know what, I'm finished discussing this airline crash, the issue in Gaza, and any other issues people are debating lately. I'm finished with boards,ie. People have taken upon themselves to attack me every post. Good for you, but I'm not going to be a whipping boy for anybody. You will no longer hear my opinion anymore. I'm finished with this place for good!!!!!!!!!

dj jarvis wrote: »
    reports that a separatist leader posted online that he had shot down a Ukrainian military aircraft , the post were taken down shortly after it became known that it was civilian

anyone else hear this ?

the Sindo is reporting that it was rebels that shot it down

a bit premature i think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

To be fair, alot of them are stills from a news channels footage that was broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

Why. It's in bad taste but people have the right to share this info.

I'm sure there are others who would equally argue that discussing the issue where and speculating on causes, responsible parties, missile types is equally in bad taste.

This is how the world communiques three days.

Arfuably the posting of real time info is a good thing in incidents like this as it enables some scrutiny of the official narrative. Given that the wreckage is likely in a war zone and accessible only to the perpetrators they may be the only way we can ever see what rely happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Conas wrote: »
    I'm not peddling personal agenda's. I'm giving my personal opinion. But you know what, I'm finished discussing this airline crash, the issue in Gaza, and any other issues people are debating lately. I'm finished with boards,ie. People have taken upon themselves to attack me every post. Good for you, but I'm not going to be a whipping boy for anybody. You will no longer hear my opinion anymore. I'm finished with this place for good!!!!!!!!!

Do you really think you're that important?

Nobody cares.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ya think? What I'm seeing looks like it was fairly intact, though things are sketchy.
    That usually means it broke up before it hit the ground B. An intact airliner hitting the ground at near terminal velocity does so with much more speed and force than the smaller pieces that come down after a midair breakup. PLus any fuel on board will ignite in an intact aircraft and you end up with a huge fireball. The pictures that have so far come out show bits of the plane laying like they were just placed there and no sign of fire damage.

EDIT now pics seem to show a main crash site where the bulk of the aircraft came down and it looks more intact.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Chinese involvement?

Sophisticated weaponry, arm some rebels in an area already full of conflict and get retribution on the airline that "lost" a 777 full of Chinese people...?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

anyone else hear this ?

Yes heard that:
    posted by Igor Girkin - snapshot: here

take all of these with pinch of salt though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

anyone else hear this ?

http://i.imgur.com/MONFjLI.jpg

Translation -
    "17.07.2014, 17:50 MSK. Militia reports: "In proximity of Torez an AN-26 has just been shot down, currently lies somewhere behind the "Progress" mine. We made a warning not to fly in "our sky". And here's video proof of yet another "birdfall". The "bird" has fallen behind the landfill, did not hit the residential area. No civilian casualties.
    There are also reports of a second plane being shot down, seems to be a SU"

Tarzana wrote: »
    Like it or not, and this goes for anywhere in the world, generally people will feel something more deeply the closer to home it is. It's a kind of defense mechanism in a way. First comes family, then friends, then acquaintances, then countrymen and it sort of fans out from there. If we didn't have this, we'd never want to get out of bed in the morning.

It is true, and unfortunately the world will pay more attention because Europeans were involved.

But that doesn't make it more horrible. It just resonates more.

The poster even acknowledged the poor choice of wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Chinese involvement?

Sophisticated weaponry, arm some rebels in an area already full of conflict and get retribution on the airline that "lost" a 777 full of Chinese people...?

It was Israel, haven't you heard? They needed to distract Sky News from reporting on Gaza. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 loosetongue

Why do so many people think that Putin is a shrewd clever leader. He is just a bully like Soviet Russia always aspired to be. Putin criticise the west for getting involved in other conflicts and and is people talk of him like he is a genius. Yet clearly Putin has instructed Russian forces to assist separatists in Ukraine and that is ok. He does not seem clever, he is just a bully that likes to clench and drag his knuckles.

Russia is very corrupt country where several journalist have been severely beaten and murdered in the past.

"It is estimated that 21 journalists have been killed since Russian President Vladimir Putin came to power in March 2000. In the great majority of cases, no one has been convicted and sentenced for the murders."

search journalism in Russia on wikipedia for the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

you're leaving boards? awh no, really puts the whole plane deaths in perspective..

Poor you. It's a lonely job cheerleading a tyrannical dictator who uses war and oppression as political policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

From the pictures on the ground it looks like a midair explosion. Hopefully it was quick for the passengers and crew aboard (as callous as that sounds, a quick death is preferable to a 9/11 scenario for the passengers in my eyes).

Wibbs wrote: »
    That usually means it broke up before it hit the ground B. An intact airliner hitting the ground at near terminal velocity does so with much more speed and force than the smaller pieces that come down after a midair breakup. PLus any fuel on board will ignite in an intact aircraft and you end up with a huge fireball. The pictures that have so far come out show bits of the plane laying like they were just placed there and no sign of fire damage.

EDIT now pics seem to show a main crash site where the bulk of the aircraft came down and it looks more intact.

Was gonna say it's surprising how poor the coverage is so far but I suppose it's not exactly a media-friendly area to report from. The big black smoke plume looks like a fairly intact plane hit the ground but there's an awful lot of unverified photos around and some don't make sense considering other ones.
    It's a properly **** thing to happen whatever the specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's looking from the pics that are coming out that it broke up in midair.

I wouldn't be so sure. The remains of the plane are going to look pretty fooked even if it all hit the ground intact. For a mid-air break-up, there would be a wide spread of wreckage.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

RIP to all who died, what a horrible and terrifying way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Fook me pink

A guy posts a pic before take off with the harmless comment that if it disappears this is what it looks like....and sky manage to exaggerate the comment with their own opinion as if the dude was expecting to get lost

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I flew this yesterday am devastated and was going to be on it but changed to a day sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Specialun wrote: »
    Fook me pink

A guy posts a pic before take off with the harmless comment that if it disappears this is what it looks like....and sky manage to exaggerate the comment with their own opinion as if the dude was expecting to get lost

I'm sure that's pretty common these days with smart phones and all that with anyone going on a long trip.

• Advertisement

I just stuck my wife and kids onto a plane not 2 hours ago - makes you think :(

Advertisement