Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

karma_ wrote: »
    I'm not sure what they would tell us other than it was definitely struck by a missile.

In fairness, this one seems clear cut and it can only be the separatists.

Is it? Has anyone reported a missile launch? Or see the aircraft explode in the sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Just saw a pic of some bodies amongst the wreckage on twitter.

Rip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

RIP to all onboard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Is it? Has anyone reported a missile launch? Or see the aircraft explode in the sky?

Well given they claimed to have shot down a Ukrainian military plane at around the same time, and no Ukrainian plane was downed... and those claims subsequently being distanced, yeah it seems clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ah jaysus I just seen a pic of a dead child still strapped in its seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There seem to be loads of pics popping up on twitter of people finding pieces of wreckage but are there any emergency services or police on the scene? Surely it's best for the evidence not to be disturbed and to be recovered ASAP so that it can be determined what exactly happened.

Jesus that's heartbreaking, what kind of person would post such a picture. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Russian terrorists have admitted shooting down 2 planes in that area today.

Conveniently that story stopped running as soon as the Malaysian plane was reported missing

TheZohan wrote: »
    Just saw a pic of some bodies amongst the wreckage on twitter.

Rip.

Ive been watching a Rssian news report, jesus, the coverage is very graphic. Like something from a horror movie :(

I have to ask, why on earth are camera crews allowed so close to a crash site. Who knows what evidence they could be trampling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    There seem to be loads of pics popping up on twitter of people finding pieces of wreckage but are there any emergency services or police on the scene? Surely it's best for the evidence not to be disturbed and to be recovered ASAP so that it can be determined what exactly happened.

There is some...

TV showing what appears to be a fire crew on site putting out the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

If the images are correct the identification process has been made a whole lot more difficult by removing the passports and possibly personal items (this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91320908&postcount=192) from bodies or near the bodies. At the very least the site would be mapped and separated into squares and all items, bodies, body parts, wreckage parts, etc. would be recorded in relation to each other to provide the best advantage for identifying the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

I'm actually afraid to log into twitter in case I see something, It's horrible putting those pictures up, what if a family member seen :( Really hoping that it happened so fast that noone suffered:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Scene hasn't yet been cordoned off and a Russian news agency is the first press to the site. They've been posting pictures and video, body parts and passports and tickets strewn across the place, I saw a 'Guide to Bali' book in one shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Jesus that's heartbreaking, what kind of person would post such a picture. :mad:

It really brings home what has happened. All you can see on Sky News is black smoke and not the total devastation of the crash. It's horrible but a photo will make people angry and want answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

With respect to the plane actually breaking up - if it broke up either at the point of contact of the missile or mid-air, then wouldn't you expect a greater spread of the wreckage? Judging from the photos on Twitter, the wreckage seems to be collected as if it crashed without breaking up; at an angle of course.

The debris is spread over a 15km long area...

There is some...

TV showing what appears to be a fire crew on sirmte putting out the fire.

Well at least that's something. It just seems to be a free for all right now. Apparently Russian news has shown a video of the passports being opened and the identities shown clearly, some of them children. That's just wrong.

beks101 wrote: »
    Scene hasn't yet been cordoned off and a Russian news agency is the first press to the site. They've been posting pictures and video, body parts and passports and tickets strewn across the place, I saw a 'Guide to Bali' book in one shot.

I saw that too. Its nuts how people are running around this site. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

God. The poor passengers and crew. Very sad. And I really, really hope it wasn't a shootdown.
    The debris is spread over a 15km long area...

That makes a shootdown. The aircraft came apart bit by bit.

Shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Crikey,there could have been multiple airliners shot down.Emirates,Etihad,Singapore and Kazakh airlines were all in the immediate area and all carried on.On C4 news now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The black boxes will hopefully reveal something, or at least rule certain events out.

That's if they ever retrieve them, I can imagine they'll be stolen too or destroyed

Sick bastards that take and post these pictures, like seriously they need to get a serious life:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭spillit67

Jake1 wrote: »
    Ive been watching a Rssian news report, jesus, the coverage is very graphic. Like something from a horror movie :(

I have to ask, why on earth are camera crews allowed so close to a crash site. Who knows what evidence they could be trampling on.

um this area is pretty much an ungoverned warzone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Crikey,there could have been multiple airliners shot down.Emirates,Etihad,Singapore and Kazakh airlines were all in the immediate area and all carried on.On C4 news now.
    Russia Today just claimed that Putins plane was in the area :confused: Bizarre deflection claim maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

Conas wrote: »
    Good description of George W Bush and Barack Obama alright.

Didn't you storm off in a huff?

And agreed.

They are not half as bad as Putin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That makes a shootdown. The aircraft came apart bit by bit.

Shit.

More than likely at this stage but it's the only possible explanation for a plane breaking up at high altitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

From a journalist at the crash scene:

@NoahSneider
    At crash site of #MH17. Bodies everywhere, organs splayed out. Too gruesome to post photographs. This is an absolute disaster. #ukraine

They need to cordone the site the fcuk off, it seems it's a free-for-all at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

spillit67 wrote: »
    um this area is pretty much an ungoverned warzone.

that's what I would fear. The possibility of a fair and impartial air crash investigation is slim at best. We may naver know what exactly what happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its a free for all as the police and military can't get to the scene as the militants won't allow them. Its a real mess and a tragedy. Perhaps Putin will use some sense and talk to these militants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

@NoahSneider
    At crash site of #MH17. Bodies everywhere, organs splayed out. Too gruesome to post photographs. This is an absolute disaster. #ukraine

They need to cordone the site the fcuk off, it seems it's a free-for-all at this point.

problem: who is they?

It would be best if people didn't post links to Twitter or news feeds with graphic content. Also really don't need to read posts describing graphic images :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

@NoahSneider

Ukraine is the largest country in Europe, and this happened in a relatively remote area in which an active conflict is underway.

Plus the wreckage probably covers an area of a few dozen miles. It's not just as straight forward as emergency services showing up and instantly closing the crash site off.

Advertisement