Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FreeVoipDeal

• 17-07-2014 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

hi there,

Im really happy with goldfish as my provider, from what i read people sign up to something like freevoipdeal for outgoing calls.

Am i reading there call charges correctly, € 0.017 for an irish mobile, i read that as 1.7 cent a minute?

Also free calls to landlines as long as i top up €10 every 4 months? (at those rates im not sure i can spend €10 in 4 months!!)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You are, but don't forget vat and transaction fees.

Only negative thing is this: But they are most likely route several times and through the US, making them very susceptible to wire tapping etc, not something I would like. The terminations are not as direct as with Goldfish, call quality may not be as good but you can always test it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Thanks for the reply,

The quality is something to think about, i guess i will stick a tenner on it to see.

I might try irishvoip.com as well, i would prefer to use an irish company if possible, anyone have any experience with them?

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

The quality is something to think about, i guess i will stick a tenner on it to see.

I might try irishvoip.com as well, i would prefer to use an irish company if possible, anyone have any experience with them?

I got a free trial with them and found them good. Apparently they use EU based providers so quality would be much better. Ireland routes all it's traffic through the UK so probably tapped. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

hi there,

Im really happy with goldfish as my provider, from what i read people sign up to something like freevoipdeal for outgoing calls.

Am i reading there call charges correctly, € 0.017 for an irish mobile, i read that as 1.7 cent a minute?

Also free calls to landlines as long as i top up €10 every 4 months? (at those rates im not sure i can spend €10 in 4 months!!)

Yes the rates are as you think and yes free landline calls to lots of destinations for 4 months .... including Aus, USA & Canada as well as most of Europe.

The only limitation appears to be a limit on time spent per period ..... I have long forgotten the details but something like xxxx minutes per week/month ....... details will be buried somewhere in their terms of service.

I have had very occasional trouble ... called person claiming to not hear me very well ..... but at those rates a recall is quite acceptable to me.

It is designed for personal use and is not suitable for businesses.

One of the good things about this service is that not only are the rates very low, but there is no set up charge per call like there is with some competing providers.

There is often a small delay .... like there would be when calling Aus by landline, due no doubt to the routing as mentioned by Mr. G.

For home use the service is more than adequate for me .... and the price is right! :) €0.02 per minute to a mobile phone in Ireland (including VAT) is fine by me! :D

BTW ..... a €10 payment is increased by VAT at payment time, so the deductions from the €10 credit on the account are at the rates without VAT, shown on the site. Just an explanation of how the account works ..... it can be viewed on line at any time.
    Those rates do change from time to time.

One last thing ...... you can set up an outgoing caller ID, so that it is your incoming number that is shown. Very useful as you can have more than one number registered with them, so if you wish you could have your mobile number shown.

Yes I have been using this service for some time and have not been tempted to stop or change.

You can also use a mobile phone which is connected to (wireless) internet to make calls via VoipDeal.

The only thing they lack, from my point of view is incoming call functions ....... but the good thing is that my VOIP 'number' can be used for others to call me free of charge from any other provider. There are providers who do not allow this.

Sorry for the length of the post ... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

thanks for the response, lots of good info,

One thing i would love to use it for is to forward my landline number to mobile when im out, at 1.7c a min that would be totally acceptable as i live in the country side so have patchy mobile data.

Poking around in the n300 settings i can set up a number of different 'connections' would i just change my outgoing server in the goldfish connection to freevoips settings

It would also allow friends and family to call a landline instead of a mobile. (i may even rent a uk number as well if this works)

• Advertisement

thanks for the response, lots of good info,

One thing i would love to use it for is to forward my landline number to mobile when im out, at 1.7c a min that would be totally acceptable as i live in the country side so have patchy mobile data.

Poking around in the n300 settings i can set up a number of different 'connections' would i just change my outgoing server in the goldfish connection to freevoips settings

It would also allow friends and family to call a landline instead of a mobile. (i may even rent a uk number as well if this works)

You can divert an incoming call on a VoIP connection to another phone number.

So if you divert the landline to a mobile, you will be billed by your landline provider, not your VoIP provider. If you divert the VoIP line it will be forwarded through a VoIP provider you specify under Telephony > Call Divert.

If you are setting up another provider, you will need to add a new Connection and input the username, password, server and outbound server (which are the same) and click Set. One connection for each provider. You can then set up call routing to have automatic failovers to the landline, calls to 083/085/086/087/089 to be put through FreeVoipDeal, and the rest through Goldfish for instance. This can be set up through Telephony > Dialling Plans, click Add. You can choose to block numbers at the phone there.

Goldfish and FreeVoipDeal might even be able to set up a dial plan for you so any calls made locally will have the area code and country code respectively added manually when calling. By default, FreeVoipDeal require you to dial 00353 before the number. Instead of getting Goldfish and FreeVoipDeal to add your area's dial plan, you can always configure it there. Let me know if you need any help with it.

Manual can be downloaded here. See page 152.

Advertisement