Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you deal with the heat?

• 17-07-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've just come from a shift at a café and I'm sitting here just about to hop in the shower in a pool of sweat. My uniform stinks and is drenched with sweat. I have a headache from dehydration and my arms and face feel like they're sunburnt. Basically, my message is I just can't deal with heat, my body is not equipped to do it. I'm off to have a shower and put my head in the fridge for a couple of hours.

People of AH, can you deal with the heat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I despise this heat with what last, functional, un-roasted fibres of my being I have left :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 jack willis

this heat is killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif]It's hot. The butter in my pocket is melting![/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Looks like rain. The weather in this feckin' country is shyte.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I like the heat but after walking about 8 miles over the course of the day, I think I'm overloaded on vitamin D.
    Sweating like a pig and feeling dizzy at the minute but at least there's a cool breeze. I pity those without air conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Yes I think I'm used to it. Where I work is very hot. I hate the cold though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Below 30 is OK, but once it goes above it starts to get uncomfortable. Uncomfortable weekend coming up here as well.

Oh I love it sooooooo much.

I only don't love running in it. I like all the other things in it though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Drink more water OP.

Lovin the heat. I can get the legs out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

Dress appropriately and it'll be fine! That said if you work in a cafe I bet you wear black..why do they all wear black

It's not great for the testes though. It can kill a lot of the sperm.

Daveysil15 wrote: »

Wooohooooo \o/

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Nope, I can't stand it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Love the heat. I love being able to wear a nice dress or skirt and not worry about the rain ruining it.

Only issue I have is if I'm in work in this heat, because my uniform is thick tights, a long skirt and a heavy hoodie, while I have to stand under a skylight for 8 hours. That kills me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

Love the heat. I love being able to wear a nice dress or skirt and not worry about the rain ruining it.

Only issue I have is if I'm in work in this heat, because my uniform is thick tights, a long skirt and a heavy hoodie, while I have to stand under a skylight for 8 hours. That kills me!

A hoodie for a uniform? Are you a drug dealer!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hate the heat. Hate, hate, hate it. I don't know if I have a high metabolism or a glandular thing or what but I sweat so much so easily (sexy, I know) so on hot days I'm just miserable.

I remember last year working during that heatwave in a greasy-spoon kind of café, between the dishwasher, the fryer and the oven - all within about five feet of each other - I thought I was going to pass out. I used to have to stop in Tesco on the way home and just stand in the fridge aisle for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

bobrawn20 wrote: »
    A hoodie for a uniform? Are you a drug dealer!?

Technically, yes. I sell nicotine :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭james66

45 degree Aussie heat is much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

endacl wrote: »

Nothing wrong with the weather in this country it's the people that are never satisfied that make it sh1te ;)

As a rule a mans a fool
    When it's hot he wants it cool
    When it's cool he wants it hot
    Always wanting what it's not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I agree with green.

I also like the summer because of all the dresses and skirts :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Did you ever hear the saying "One swallow doesn't make a summer"

Hate the heat, the swallows are grand if they keep their nest clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am sick of sweating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bloody love it TBH. Moar heat please.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Yes. On a daily basis from mid June to mid September :D

Today a cool 28 C but next week is 32 C+

Bring it on baby, bring it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Heat is grand.. the humidity is what kills me. Sweat just won't evaporate enough to cool you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I love the sun shining on me, not too bothered how hot it is but anything very late twenties and on is less fun especially if working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

endacl wrote: »

No it's not. Try living in North Canada, or most of Africa. We have a well balanced climate here. Of course you have the moaners
    "It's so cold"
    "It's so wet"
    "It's so hot"
    How many years are you living here now? You should have an idea by now about what the weather will be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The humidity is killing me. I wash my hair every morning and as soon as I've blow dried it I can feel the sweat trickling down my back before I even leave the house. My feet are sore from rubbing in my shoes or sandals from my damp feet and I hate that unpleasant heaviness in the air.

I was in a gp waiting room last week with a bottle of mineral water against the back of my neck to try to stop sweating, mortifying:o Then there's the sickening smell of putrifying dog sh8t in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

I hate the heat when it's in Ireland because the country isn't equipped to deal with it. The heat wave last year drove me insane, mostly because of the insects and lack of a/c everywhere and because there's no a/c, you have to open all your windows and a load of moths and spiders get in. Whereas when I went to california a bit back, the heat didn't bother me at all because there's air conditioning everywhere including in the house I was staying in and all the houses over there have mesh insect screens over all the doors and windows so bugs getting in just isn't an issue. I only saw one in the house the entire time I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Yeah the heat is a real killer. The fan on my rig starts becoming just about audible, which interrupts my days on the internet. As least there's no sunshine to ruin my screen with glare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

So have a lot of blowjobs instead until your mini heatwave is over. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I work in an industrial laundry so multiply what your feeling outside by about ten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I work in an industrial laundry so multiply what your feeling outside by about ten

That would be considered a heatwave where I live. 30 celsius or more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Sorta do and I don't, don't like anything too hot, early 20's is best. It was 27 here today, the thermostat in my apartment said 29, not so fun when you're trying to get work done. Have to have my fan heater on cold these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I change into shorts once I finish work and work is temperature controlled so no issues there.

Only thing is looking out the huge windows at blue skies.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Sounds like you are offering. Classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I despise the heat when I'm working. Enjoy it when its a day off. "Dressing appropriately" has different meaning in an office than it seems to have in a heat wave, but cheers for the advice.

I walk to work every day and Dublin is an interesting city in that the Liffey runs from west to east, on a line with the sun, morning and afternoon so there is practically no shade on my normal route. Not an issue in most Irish weather, is an issue these days.

I literally end up altering my route to go north/south as best I can, trying to find some shade from the remorseless ball of flame that is slowly giving me skin cancer as I go to and from work. But there is "hot zones" where there is quite literally no shade and I fry as I race to the next piece of cover. After struggling through a couple kilometres of this I end up in work wishing I could just go home and take a shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

:confused: Heat?

Eighteen inch thick, stone walls. Tin over thatch roof. 71.6F as I type this.

What's not to like?

Oh, and I just stepped outside. Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

The hotter the better, extremes are good ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

What really annoys me about the nice weather is how everyone feels the need to stand outside. I mean, okay, fair enough, that's a silly thing to be annoyed by; but I'm a shallow person I guess.

Every day, M-F, I ride my crappy bicycle into my crappy job. I sit at my crappy desk and I do crappy work. Except for about 45 minutes. I leave my crappy desk and I go and get lunch. Lunch isn't great, but it's not bad either.

When it's cold, I get lunch.
    When it's raining, I get lunch.
    When it's windy, I get lunch.

But then a sunny day comes along and, everywhere I look, it's people. PEOPLE EVERYWHERE! I mean, where did they all come from? They seem disorientated, perhaps by the light....staggering about in a zombie like state. Large groups of them just 'stop' and stand in places. Sometimes they sit down. Just standing there.

The restaurants that are normally empty are now overflowing with people. A lot of them don't seem to understand how restaurants work. 'How many?' is met with a blank stare, followed by 30 seconds of counting on fingers....often with a bit of a story, '......how many? OH, yes, how many are going to be eating. That's right - this is a restaurant. Well, let's see, it's me and Emma, and her boyfriend, that's three, but there are two more coming! So, three and two, that makes five. Yes, five of us!'.

Getting home from work isn't much better. When it's hot, everyone has to stand around outside. Preferably with alcohol, right? So every 3rd block, there is some pub with far too many people standing around outside, spilling out into the road.

I guess my life is pretty good if this is my biggest complaint, but really.....I don't get it. It's just sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

One of the things I've noticed about sunshine is it seems to make people want to climb on things for some reason. Soon as it's sunny I start noticing people sitting on roofs, jumping off walls and stuff. That last patch of good weather I was sitting upstairs in the café at the corner of Eyre Square, nearly got a heart attack when I glanced outside and there were a rake of teenagers sitting on top of the public toilets opposite. There are trees overgrowing it so their faces were just appearing out of the branches

What? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What heat? It's just slightly warm out.

Half the worlds population would consider our current weather to be a cold spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

thelad95 wrote: »
    I've just come from a shift at a café and I'm sitting here just about to hop in the shower in a pool of sweat. My uniform stinks and is drenched with sweat. I have a headache from dehydration and my arms and face feel like they're sunburnt. Basically, my message is I just can't deal with heat, my body is not equipped to do it. I'm off to have a shower and put my head in the fridge for a couple of hours.

People of AH, can you deal with the heat?

You're not trying to deal with the heat. Being dehydrated means you weren't drinking enough water. It takes little time to fill up a glass of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just had a couple of beers out the back with the folks, listening to good music and getting a bit of a tan as the garden's a bit of a suntrap. It was lovely. Not too hot as the evening draws in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

In the uk atm and it's like a mediterranean country over here. I find this weather absolutely miserable. Much prefer a cool temperature with the odd shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Im glad to be alive to enjoy the weather whatever shape its in ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Amboise

Reckon I'm just not made for heat either - can't go outside without factor 50, the heat rash is driving me mad and its so warm I can't sleep at night. Still prefer it to all the rain though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Will everyone with malfunctioning thyroids please feck off and live in Spain or somewhere so we can all us normal people can moan about the stifling heat in peace. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement