Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you deal with the heat?

Comments

I'm really cold today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

bobrawn20 wrote: »
    Car temps read 6 or 7 degrees over constantly
    Well yeah, that's what I said

If you put the word my before car then yes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It's not the heat that's annoying it's the humidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Dry heat is bearable but high humidity simply saps your energy on all fronts. I was boxing in Cuba a few months ago and it was near 90% humidity and around 33 degrees. After a couple of rounds it felt like I was wearing a weights vest and I started to feel dizzy. Awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's true about the humidity, it's the feckin wet in this country that makes the weather so miserable outside of about a ten degree range. Same as during winter,even 5 or 10 degrees feels freezing and rotten because of the damp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I don't mind the "cold" that we experience in this country at all.

It's the horrible summer weather of all day dead heat which makes sleeping next to impossible that I hate . That and the fact that it gets bright out before 7 in the morning which never fails to wake me up.

Roll on autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

It's the horrible summer weather of all day dead heat which makes sleeping next to impossible that I hate .

Do you not have electric fans in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Do they make body sized fans that are completely silent and also don't just move the horrible humid air around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Only heavy metal fans......Do we have many heavy metal fans on After Hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Do they make body sized fans that are completely silent and also don't just move the horrible humid air around?

Yes. We have them here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yes. We have them here.

Oooh look at queen lah-di-dah over in Canada with her fancy Canada things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

No. Or A/C units. Standard electricity costs are too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    It's not great for the testes though. It can kill a lot of the sperm.

Love the heat, any excuse to break out the speedos, well flip flops and speedos are the only thing you need during hot weather. The beer gut hanging over them just add to the awesomeness. Yes some customers might be embarrassed while you make their sandwiches but tis the Summer.

And none of those testes problems your having either, the speedos cup them nicely like a second scrotum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

It's 31 degrees here. I can't leave the house for any length of time. Suffice is to say I am well insulated, like a baby seal. I am sitting next to a large fan and wearing a wife-beater.

Poxy foreign countries with their poxy foreign weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

well hydrated I'm sorted. I can concentrate well, do manual stuff outside etc. In this heat If I just decided to just have a cup of tea every few hours or so I'd probably be quite lethargic and lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

In general it's a pain in the ( sweaty ) balls.

On the plus side, the nice looking Chinese bird who lives in the room opposite mine (same building but there is a small courtyard between us) has taken to leaving her window and blinds open (no euphemism) and just hanging out (no jokes please) in her knickers.

Last night she had a good ol' finger blasting session.

(My window and therefore my eyeballs are about 20 feet from her window so I reserve the right to watch) (I like brackets)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If you put the word my before car then yes ;)

The fúck is this, Pedantic Friday?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes, we've 2 in the attic in Ireland but we never use them.

I've never seen air conditioners in houses in Ireland but most cars have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The weather is so changeable here it never lasts that long anyway, may as well make the most of it. It's better than wet and cold.

It apparently hit 32 celsius in parts of Britain today, that's what I want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What heat? It's just slightly warm out.

Half the worlds population would consider our current weather to be a cold spell.
    awec wrote: »
    It's not even *that* hot - wouldn't say the heat at the moment is particularly remarkable.

Anyway - heat is great. Beats rain and cold every day. The more the sun shines the better it is.
    KungPao wrote: »
    Dunno what you are all moaning about, unless it's been sizzling elsewhere in the country, but in Dublin it's just been nice out. Nothing more.

I agree with the above 3 posts. I don't think it's hot at all, it's nice. Not hot, not cold. I love sun holidays and I'm normally comfortable in heat up to about 35 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

BDJW wrote: »
    I agree with the above 3 posts. I don't think it's hot at all, it's nice. Not hot, not cold. I love sun holidays and I'm normally comfortable in heat up to about 35 degrees.

Very different humidity levels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Very different humidity levels though.

Completely agree, but have found zero issue while on holiday or at home with the heat/humidity.

I actually had to stop working for a little while today before my jelly legs failed me. **** this ****. Roll on -10 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It apparently hit 32 celsius in parts of Britain today, that's what I want.
    I wouldn't wish a Northern Line commute on a 32c day on my worst enemy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

It got very warm here yesterday,, I am in the Midlands (Portlaoise)

It had to be the hottest so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Hey, how bout this heat, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

We do, but all the fans do is blow more humidity onto you so it's pointless really using them. As was said, it's the high humidity that is the killer, trying to gasp for a breath.

Just checking out the flight price for 3 months return to Iceland, not bad at all, will book my flight next may and leave you all to this humid sweaty pong of a kip. I slipped up this year, but I won't next may...astalavista you sweaty feckers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It's 40 degrees c in Freiburg, Southern Germany.

You can fry an egg on a car bonnet it's that warm.

Augmerson wrote: »
    It's 40 degrees c in Freiburg, Southern Germany.

You can fry an egg on a car bonnet it's that warm.

Right 40°c there, but what is the humidity ?

Cork airport 89% humidity. Dublin airport 78%

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'm not sure about earlier but it's 54% now but it's almost 12. I get you on the humidity though, not so nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wouldn't wish a Northern Line commute on a 32c day on my worst enemy :pac:
    Been there, done that, in rush hour from Highgate station. Ladies were wilting like so many daffodils. My shirt was ruined by the time we got to Camden Town. At least the air is cool underground, and I would try and stand by the window at one end of the carriage, where some air would get in when the train moved.

I'm getting used to this heat at the moment. By the time I'm acclimatised, the heat will be gone, and it'll be back to the usual grey. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What heat? Its just about nice...

I mean seriously everything is so much nicer. Like playing golf in a tshirt or running around town on your motorbike in scandalously unsafe attire or just hanging out. I love it.

Having said that I do agree that - say - 23 degrees in Ireland somehow feels warmer than 23 degrees elsewhere, for example in Italy. But I still love it and in fairness 23 is hardly heat like I said above. I saw some of the Spanish students running around today in hoodies. Its all relative. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 savagebaja

right shower of baby's, try doing my job in this heat , I am a welder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The heat is unbearable at the moment. I'd hate to be in London right now. Though, I wouldn't mind a proper thunderstorm, unlike the disappointment of the one this morning.

The last few weeks, I've been lying on top of the sheets, rather than under them. Even when it was slightly cooler than now, I still felt too warm. Tonight isn't going to be the best for sleeping, I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nonkeymuts

i'm a snowman and its killing me slowly i'm typing here with one arm and one finger my legs are gone help !!!!!!!!!!! next will be my snowballs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Can only speak from a personal opinion. But I think tonight has been the hottest night this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Resonator75

Getting on me tats really at the moment, its not like a 'hot' heat, its a stuffy, oppressive, high pressure type heat that needs a good thunder storm.
    As soon as I do anything physical , like going to the fridge and then opening my beer, Im covered in sweat....terrible altogether... Must ring Joe.

Tell ye how bad the humidity was here in Tipp, theres an elevated 2ft wide strip of black, plastic lining covering a box in the yard. There was a puddle of water in it about an inch at its deepest after the rain this morning.

Its still there now after the heat and direct sun of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Think I'm the only person ever who doesn't mind a bit of humidity. :pac:
    Feels tropical!
    (Not saying I'd be able for it in New Orleans or somewhere though :)).

Would like a good auld downpour though - something very satisfying about it. The "storm" here last night was pathetic. A short heavy shower, that was it.

• Advertisement

savagebaja wrote: »

For the love of cornflakes...it's not the heat that is the problem... it's the HUMIDITY!!!. :mad:

Tuesday coming is going to be the real killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

93% humidity down south atm. There will be no sleeping done tonight I think. :(

For the love of cornflakes...it's not the heat that is the problem... it's the HUMIDITY!!!. :mad:

Tuesday coming is going to be the real killer.

No Bongalongherb, its reading your bloody username and remembering Im out and stranded untill Sunday :(
    The heat/humidity just makes me want to smoke....God Im weak....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

savagebaja wrote: »

well im a blowtorch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Can't hack this heat/humidity at all. I sleep best in a cool room but that's not happening tonight. My fan is pointless as its only blowing warm air at me. I love cold weather when you can get cozy in layers :D. This coming Tuesday looks like my idea of hell. Currently 17 degrees here with 90% humidity. Feck that!

Christ I love being Irish, too cold: pi$$ and moan, to Hot: pi$$ and moan! Maybe March and October are the Irish civilization's (dare I call it that?) months of perfection?

Where else would ye get it?

Well as I said earlier, I am not going to hang around here next may june july or august, I will be in Iceland with a few spliff's soaking up the cool fresh air, and they have natural warm water holes from the volcano there just for a dip with a fresh clean cool air-flow encompassing your body and mind.

It might be a good idea for all boards.ie ice-men and ice-women to go over next may, have a party on the volcano. Great place indeed. Will see you there folks next may. tee-shirts only and bikinis for the lady's. Happy days. :D

Who's up for it ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm in the mojave desert. It's 27 degrees in the morning and it was 40 by 6 pm. I work outdoors. It's hell!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Kevlar Bay

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm in the mojave desert. It's 27 degrees in the morning and it was 40 by 6 pm. I work outdoors. It's hell!

Quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Kevlar Bay wrote: »
    Quit.

Nah. I'll be somewhere different next week!

Advertisement