Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you deal with the heat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Well la dee da to you traveller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Getting hot again here, didn't drop below 20 degrees last night, and it's low/mid 30s for the next few days at least. Can't leave the ****in windows open, so the whole house just gets gradually hotter until the next thunderstorm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm in the mojave desert. It's 27 degrees in the morning and it was 40 by 6 pm. I work outdoors. It's hell!

Have you seen any aliens or Elvis or anything cool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Eh, if he does, then its time to find some shade and water. And fuggin' quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Has anybody tried moving your mattress to the floor?

Apparently, it's cooler at lower levels. Probably wouldn't work on carpet, but I bet it would work with wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nope. Just dirt and pine trees and rocks.

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Has anybody tried moving your mattress to the floor?

Apparently, it's cooler at lower levels. Probably wouldn't work on carpet, but I bet it would work with wood.

Hot air rises. It's why 99 percent of houses out here are bungalows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

I love it. It seems I have the most energy, and am feeling healthiest if its warm from about 22 to 29 degrees and when it's crispy cold from 0 down to -10.

I'm just not built for the usual Irish climate at all. When it's cold and damp (not cold or damp), drizzly, etc, I can't sleep, my allergies flare up and I am way more susceptible to becoming sick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Waking up exhausted from it being too hot to sleep properly is just awesome :(

**** this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The funny thing is, you do get used to it. I've gone for long walks in medium-hot places, including Houston in summer and Dubai in winter, in temperatures well over 30°C. I knew to cover up and drink plenty of water, and ... that was good enough.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

100% humidity here at the moment, sick of it. My hair looks like a ball of frizz within a few hours, despite blow drying and straightening it every morning. I'm weary all the bloody time with the damned humidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm all for hot weather but this sticky humidity is too much. I'm sweating straight after a shower and I've no appetite. Doing the hair is a no-go.

Heading out to Spain on Tuesday though; I'll take their version of 30 degrees happily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I think there is approx 3 days a year that no one can complain about...

It's too hot

It's too cold

It's too bright

It's too windy

It's too wet

It's too dry

and so on, and so on, and so on...

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm pretty sure it was hotter last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As stated previously, the temperature it's self is not the real issue. Its the humidity. Yesterday morning it rained in dublin city, after the shower I checked the weather gauge - 17 degrees (grand) and 94% humidity (not grand). Pure energy sapping. Find it very difficult to sleep too which is dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I need to change my answer, I cannot handle the heat :P It was about 33 today, I had to have a cold shower and keep my hair wet every so often by running the cold water over my head :o It's unbearable, the temperature inside hasnt gone below 30 yet today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Wish I could enjoy it. I have pompholyx on my feet and it BURNS it itches so bad and I can't scratch it because the skin will crack. Its aggravated by heat, shampoo and detergent... So the nights that are warm, I've washed my hair and changed the sheets are the worst (usually enjoyable for most people). I love being cosy and warm so this sucks now that its flaring back up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's already 28 Celsius here and will rise to mid 30's by lunchtime. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

Can't stand it. I get overheated really easily so I sweat from morning to night which is horrible. My house has a huge window in the hall/landing so it turns into a sauna when the temperature is above 15. I don't think I've ever been so excited for winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

^^ that was me last night could not sleep with the heat and added to the fact that I have a bad back injury made it very uncomfortable :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I could stand if it was fecking sunny as well as sweltering, at least it could be called beach weather and the sea would look very very inviting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Where is this heat?

Its a 16c outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

awec wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it was hotter last summer.

Deffo - we've only had one 30+ day this year, had about 10 by this point last year.

25-28 for most of the next week, happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭james66

**** this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Over 30 in the afternoon in Laos and humid too.

Went for a cycle and climbed and mountain.

Ye've all gone soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did all these threads appear last summer? or in 1995?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Whats the big deal - its hot outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Over 30 in the afternoon in Laos and humid too.

Went for a cycle and climbed and mountain.

Ye've all gone soft.

You're equipped for the heat in foreign countries, you expect it. Businesses, offices, hotels etc. have air-con which most places don't bother with in Ireland because it's not worth installing for a handful of days. Most people posting here are sitting in a stuffy work-place with a head like a tomato, shirt stuck to them in 13 different places, and scrotum glued to left leg by sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

thelad95 wrote: »
    scrotum glued to left leg by sweat
    :pac::pac::pac:

I love this weather, me happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Deffo - we've only had one 30+ day this year, had about 10 by this point last year.

25-28 for most of the next week, happy out.

it seamed much more pleasant last year - the past 2 weeks have been horribly humid - close at night - hard to sleep - hot dry weather is grand - but i hate the humidity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I'm LOVING IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I work in a job where i'm not allowed to say what job i do (security reasons i'm told). But, as part of my job, i need to wear a very specific "waist-coat" which may or may not have the ability to prevent pointy things going through said "waist-coat". Anyway, the heat in the South East today combined with that "waist-coat", in a uniform which was not designed with this weather in mind, coupled with the fact that i'm ginger, well, you can imagine the state of me today. The van told me 40 degrees celcius at one point. Probably slightly higher than it was, but it sure felt like it! Took me exactly 2 minutes to change the colour of my shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Heat is brilliant. Its the ba*tarding humidity that kills me. Specially when the sun comes out after a heavy shower turns the air into a sauna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Heat is brilliant. Its the ba*tarding humidity that kills me. Specially when the sun comes out after a heavy shower turns the air into a sauna.

Arent you saving on leisure fees with a free sauna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Loving it, adjusted very quickly to the heat! And humidity too..long may it last

• Advertisement

I'm down from the desert and am in redondo beach at the minute. Each day is hotter than the last but every so often you get the beach breeze come across and it's the nicest thing in the world.
    I feel for you guys in the icky humidity!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

What you call hot 25 c ? ,would be quite cool where i am .Here at least 33c every day ,and it might go down to 28c at night.(if we are lucky ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I hate this humidity. It's too much and it's exhausting. My feet are cut from rubbing in my shoes. I can't snuggle up with my husband at night as it's just too humid, so there's a big gap in the middle of the bed. As soon as I put clothes on I feel sweaty. I'm not getting much sleep, can't actually remember the last time I got a good nights sleep.

Today we're going to Limerick to do some shopping and I'm dreading it. I could really do without trudging around in the sticky, oppressive heat. I hate this weather, I can't wait for Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I can deal with the heat. What I cant deal with is working in.this heat. Also, the ones complaining about the weather. In a month or two they'll be saying 'sure we barely had a summer'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm down from the desert and am in redondo beach at the minute. Each day is hotter than the last but every so often you get the beach breeze come across and it's the nicest thing in the world.
    I feel for you guys in the icky humidity!
    See, that's the thing.. Its not the heat, it's the humidity that makes us uncomfortable. If it weren't for that I'd be happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

deco nate wrote: »
    See, that's the thing.. Its not the heat, it's the humidity that makes us uncomfortable. If it weren't for that I'd be happy :)

So how high is your humidity ?.Here in Chiang Mai its 57 % at now 3 pm .When i first came to Thailand i struggled ,but i do prefer heat to the cold .
    Take plenty of fluids ,cover your head ,and try not to exert yourself too much during daytime.a/c is not required but do have a fan or two indoors .
    Its over 40 c in central Australia and parts of the middle east .That extreme i could not stand .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The weather is bítchin, just buy a fan if your finding it hard to sleep at night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

anto9 wrote: »
    So how high is your humidity ?

It seems to range between 70-95% every day around Ireland.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Arent you saving on leisure fees with a free sauna.

Imagine being at the gym and not being able to get out of the sauna, not so leisurely!

Sexy bit of sun this morning in Galway though. B)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Can't wait for it to rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Can't wait for it to rain.

Today, sometime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's actually a bit cooler today, more like a typical summer day in Ireland rather than this Mediterranean sh*te we've been getting the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

40 mins to an ice cold beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Kill. Me. Now. One small fan in work. Glass ceiling. I am literally a walking puddle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 jack willis

Way to warm like 25 degrees nah cant cop ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement