Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do we have many heavy metal fans on After Hours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

No, not at all.
    IM

THE

DE-VIL

I

LOVE

ME-TAL
    No-one can destroy the metal!
    The metal will strike you down with a vicious blow!
    We are the vanquished foe of the metal!
    We tried to win
    For why
    We do not know! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I like some metal, but it's not what I mostly listen to.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y24MmylTeY4
    Seriously though, I'd place money on somebody with a Sepultura t-shirt as being about 1000 times more likely to be sound than somebody without one. Metalheads are always the best crack.

BTW, I don't care for any era Metallica really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

****ing love metal, the heavier the better!!

Used to be a big fan, not so much anymore.

I like the old more musically-driven kind as opposed to the modern kind where there's a high emphasis placed on technique as opposed to what sounds good. Don't want to sound pretentious but as a guitar player I just don't find metal attractive, I just feel there's a lot more distortion/gain to hide behind compared to other genres.

I think a lot of modern metal acts could learn a lot from the "less is more" attitude, I just don't see the appeal in listening to some guy play 300 notes in 10 seconds as opposed to playing 3 or 4 that sound good.

You sound like you need some doom! It's not all about speed

Can't stand it, too much noise and shouting without any real rhythm or beat or even lyrics you can understand.

Ah here now, that's only rubbish, metal is easily one of the most beat/rhythm-driven genres, behind only rap and the electronic genres, I'd say.

Try this (or ANY of the tracks I've posted, for that matter!). The whole album is wonderful tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

7 pages and no Lamb of God, Gojira or SOAD. Disgusting.

No, not at all.
    This thread just reminded me: I was watching the Download festival highlights on Sky Arts a few weeks back and eagerly awaiting Linkin Park to come on. In the meantime, we sat through a Bring Me The Horizon song and it was literally just the lead singer screaming like a banshee into the microphone, bent over double like he was tearing his diaphram in two. My aunt just looked at me like I had ten heads and went "You call this music?!" I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the screamo- brand of metal outside of Slipknot but I *do* like this track:

It's currently the only Bullet For My Valentine song I regularly listen to. Never bothered to look up more but if anyone can give me recommendations, that would be super.
    Incidently, I managed to get my aunt into both Linkin Park and Rob Zombie. Give me a few weeks- I shall turn her to the dark side! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Megadeth. I love Megadeth.
    The're the guys who did a cover of "Schools out"

These guys covered it back in 1994

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

No, not at all.
    McChubbin wrote: »
    This thread just reminded me: I was watching the Download festival highlights on Sky Arts a few weeks back and eagerly awaiting Linkin Park to come on. In the meantime, we sat through a Bring Me The Horizon song and it was literally just the lead singer screaming like a banshee into the microphone, bent over double like he was tearing his diaphram in two. My aunt just looked at me like I had ten heads and went "You call this music?!" I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the screamo- brand of metal outside of Slipknot but I *do* like this track:

It's currently the only Bullet For My Valentine song I regularly listen to. Never bothered to look up more but if anyone can give me recommendations, that would be super.
    Incidently, I managed to get my aunt into both Linkin Park and Rob Zombie. Give me a few weeks- I shall turn her to the dark side! :pac:

Used to be a big BFMV fan, their album "The Poison" is brilliant.

Cringey song titles but.. Try "Hand of Blood", "Room 409" and "Hearts Burst Into Fire" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Anyone like Portal? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

One of my favourite albums of all time:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nimr wrote: »
    Ah, the heaviest of them all. Serious hardcore stuff that is.
    http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Library/Implsion.html
    The convergent shock wave of an implosion can compress solid uranium or plutonium by a factor of 2 to 3.
    So could get up to 60g/cm3 - seriously heavy

• Advertisement

btw, Ghost ;)

What an absolutely fantastic video too :D

And this one's for you McChubbin ;)

No, not at all.
    I was trying to find a song I heard in Clerks 2 and thanks to the spooky yet brillaint pre-empting of the Youtube search bar, I finally found it.
    Bit of King Diamond, any one? :D

EDIT: Jaaaaaaysus, Links. Haven't heard that since about 2001! :eek: I used to be such a weeboo when it came to Gackt, the sexy androgynos bastard! :D
    I see your Redemption and raise you Lust For Blood- my favorite track by him.
    This thread makes me so very happy!

This also needs to be seen by EVERYONE!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No, not at all.
    I like a bit of metal. Mainly drone, doom, thrash and a bit of black metal.

Favourite bands would be Black Sabbath, Boris, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Electric Wizard and Megadeth.

EDIT: Jaaaaaaysus, Links. Haven't heard that since about 2001! :eek: I used to be such a weeboo when it came to Gackt, the sexy androgynos bastard! :D
    I see your Redemption and raise you Lust For Blood- my favorite track by him.
    This thread makes me so very happy!

Were you a time traveller in 2001? 'Cos Redemption was 2006 ;)

But yeah, Gackt is one gorgeous mofo :o

No, not at all.
    Hahaha! Links, I was just about to post that! :D
    In a similar vein:

Edit: 2006? Jaysus, I thought it was older than that. Sure, I graduated from secondary school in 2005 and really got into the whole otaku thing. Sure, I was 17 and very wet behind the ears... ahh, you've made my night with that, Links234! Cheers for the nostalgia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

No, not at all.
    Big Spinal Tap fan me.

Edit: 2006? Jaysus, I thought it was older than that. Sure, I graduated from secondary school in 2005 and really got into the whole otaku thing. Sure, I was 17 and very wet behind the ears... ahh, you've made my night with that, Links234! Cheers for the nostalgia!

There's so much awesome music coming from Japan, why'd you give up? :pac:

Also, seriously, why with this many folks who enjoy metal is the Rock & Metal forum not utilized more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Bit of King Diamond, any one? :D

Me listening to King Diamond

For fans of the slow and heavy stuff ;)

No, not at all.
    Magaggie wrote: »
    Big Spinal Tap fan me.
    Haven't seen that in years! Personally, my big go-to movie(s) for metal/rock-based comedy happens to be Wayne's World.
    A little Bohemian Rhapsody, anyone? :pac:

A little Bohemian Rhapsody, anyone? :pac:

Bad News perfected it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Opeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Warrant, Winger, Nelson, Trixter, White Lion, Poison...

You BET I'm a heavy metal fan!!

• Advertisement

No, not at all.
    Links234 wrote: »
    That was ****ing woeful. Truly. :eek:

On the subject of rock-themed movies, anyone here ever see Airheads? I have vague memories of being strangely attracted to Steve Buscemi's glorious main of hair...

I haven't seen Airheads in years, only kinda bits of it when I was a kid. must try see it again properly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Yes

No, not at all.
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

No mention of Dio yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I wonder sometimes, how many people who wore Motorhead T-shirts back in the '80s actually bought any of their records.

Not many, I'd guess.

No, not at all.
    Don't forget Ozzy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

This thread has me listening to old classics again,as much of a loose cannon that Dave mustaine was he's a genius with a guitar,had this album cover as a back patch.

No, not at all.
    Me right now. :pac:
    This thread is not good for my hard-drive- I've barely got 85GB left! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No, not at all.
    Retired from the mosh pit many moons ago. And my stage diving days are over. Buy yeah - partial to the odd bit of metal in my old age.

No, not at all.
    Not the biggest Maiden fan but I quite enjoy this one:

EDIT: This popped up on my FB feed just now. Looks intriguing...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Was at Soulfly last friday in whelans, listenin to coal chamber earlier then the prodigy and now die antwoord, bit of everthing here

No, not at all.
    Soulfly? Jaysus, there's a name I haven't heard in quite a while. Reminds me of when my brother was a dreadlocked metal-head who looked like yer wan out of Rage Against The Machine and he used to blast Slayer, Sepultura and Pantera tracks through the house much to everyone else's annoyance. Fun times.
    My brother was the one who got me into metal in the first place- he stuck on KoRn's "Issues", I heard "Blind" and I instantly GOT it.
    He also got me into anime by way of Akira but that's a story for a different thread.
    Really loving how all this talk of bands and music is bringing back fond memories of growing up listening to metal in the mid-to-late 90s during the rise of nu-metal. Simpler times. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Not much mention of the uber-80's cliché: Glam Metal.

This is the music I love. It's my "go-to" music. It's just insanely fun. It's catchy as hell. It gets a lot of bad press from a lot of quarters due to being silly, overblown and "wuss-metal".

Fair enough on the "wuss-metal" charge; this kind of heavy metal was insanely commercial. It was not as heavy as other heavy metal out there at the time. It was not as "metal" as some liked. But Glam Metal paved the way for heavy metal becoming one of the most popular musical genres in the world. Metal was suddenly sexy and popular.

On the other charges (being silly and overblown), however, that's a moot argument. Isn't all heavy metal inherently overblown and silly? Even the most seemingly un-silly metal bands actually are, if you dissect them down a bit more.

This much maligned genre of heavy metal has given us some of the biggest legends of heavy metal, and some of the more (in)famous moments of heavy metal history. Bands like Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Ratt, Dokken, Twisted Sister, Europe, WASP, White Lion, etc. all came from the glam school. Sometimes, it can be argued that they weren't, but for the most part, they were. Even bands like Van Halen and Judas Priest succumbed to the glam bandwagon and tarted their image up in the mid-80's in order to capitalise.

Also, glam metal is home to some of the greatest so-called "guilty pleasure" songs that people love. Think:

'The Final Countdown'
    'Livin On A Prayer'
    'You Give Love A Bad Name'
    'Pour Some Sugar On Me'
    'Home Sweet Home'
    'Is This Love'
    'Here I Go Again'
    'I Wanna Rock'
    'We're Not Gonna Take It'

and so on.

It has not been mentioned much, some people think it's silly and undeserving... but glam metal/hair metal/whatever is as much a piece of the intricate history of heavy metal as thrash, nu-metal, grunge or black metal. In fact, it was the era of glam metal that brought heavy metal fully onto the public consciousness and contributed hugely to the status that heavy metal enjoys today. Even for people who hated it, it spurred them on. Bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer (even though they, in their early days, wore makeup!), etc. were all formed as a metallic response to the glam bands, in order to give metal legitimacy again (in their own eyes anyway).

Fair enough, it DID become awfully predictable and formulaic towards the tail end of the 1980's and the music had become stale. The glam bands based their successes upon teenage girl fans. Winds of change (both societal and hormonal) meant they were building a house of straw. Underground bands (grunge bands) had built incredibly strong grassroots fan bases by the late-80's/early-90's. It was only a matter of time before one or more of them broke big.

There was never a genre in the history of music like glam metal; it was so huge, so popular, sold so much, had so many fans... and then *POOF*. Overnight, it was gone. It was staggering. It evaporated from the airwaves and the public consciousness in an instant. It was like a mirage. Very few glam bands survived the onslaught intact. Arguably only Bon Jovi weathered the storm, being perennially popular for the last 20-odd years or so, regardless.

Despite its meteoric rise, and ignominious fall, glam metal is forever engrained upon the psyche, as a stereotypical piece of the 1980's.

Despite all its flaws, it was actually brilliant and I think it's time to give Slippery When Wet a blast! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not the biggest Maiden fan but I quite enjoy this one:

EDIT: This popped up on my FB feed just now. Looks intriguing...:pac:

Never really cared for that track as a kid,

I have a weird compulsion to play the title track offa powerslave a lot these days though

Most of the stuff in this thread makes me want to vomit, all that poxy sugarcoated gothic cabaret metal. Its come to a sad pass when someone calls that metal. Marilyn mansauce has a lot to answer for, de bollix.

Cetlic frost had all that nonesense beat back in the 80s while worshipping bryan ferry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

No, not at all.

Drone/Doom Metal FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

No, not at all.
    DazMarz, there's nowt wrong at all with some Def Leppard and Whitesnake tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Magaggie wrote: »
    DazMarz, there's nowt wrong at all with some Def Leppard and Whitesnake tracks.

Seeing as they're my two favourite bands... I would be inclined to agree with you! :D

I love glam metal, btw. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No, not at all.
    *raises hand* Yup!!! I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Awful lack of Dream Theater in this thread. :pac:

I prefer prog, power, folk and symphonic metal (have a serious preference for clean vocals), but will listen to just about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

No, not at all.
    calanus wrote: »
    Also, just been listening to a bit of this.

Yes! The Mantle is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Also the last 4 minutes of this are just immense:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Can't beat a bit of pirate metal either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Some of my absolute favourite metal bands are from Ireland, and I think deserve a bit more attention. Ye probably know already, but for those who don't........

I'll Eat Your Face, from Cork, were a duo who invented their own genre, SUPERGRIND. The song names still make me laugh. Extremely catchy riffs with massive groove and rhythms hopping all over the place. They could do it all live too! So disappointed when they broke up, definitely in my top-10 bands, of any genre.

Altar of Plagues, also from Cork, and also dead, often called black metal. I dunno what to call them tbh, after they released their last album. Again, a very original sound. Just fantastic music.

Slomatics, very much still on the go, from Belfast. Spacey doom, for the listner who likes his ceol slow, loud, and heavy. Wonderful stuff altogether.

Advertisement