Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do we have many heavy metal fans on After Hours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Since it's Geezer Butler's birthday today, can't leave the occasion pass without some Sabbath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Love rock and heavy metal.. Best concert in a long time was rammstein.. Will listen to anything in between though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I like some metal, but it's not what I mostly listen to.
    Anyone like a bit of Periphery?

Oh and you guys HAVE TO see this video :D ****ing Maximum The Hormone are unreal, but this video is just, well, you watch it all the way through ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Links234 wrote: »
    You know, if you're into your power, symphonic, gothic metal, have you listened to Versailles? Might be up your alley ;)

<Vid removed>

dat bass @ 3.28 aww yiss :D

Excellent stuff there Links. Not familiar with their stuff but that ^^ was good.
    McChubbin wrote: »
    "The Open Door" is one of my favorite albums. All the tracks are great but I have a particular soft spot for "Lithium".

Same as that. Love "Lithium". "Bring Me To Life" is my fav Evanescence album though.

@Links234: I'll see your "Versailles" and raise you a Floor Jansen special...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭dasdog

blade1 wrote: »
    Aahh.. Those were the days!
    McGonagles and the Top hat!
    5 hours on the bus Cork to Dublin.
    My first gig in the Top Hat was Suicidal Tendencies/M.O.D.
    Can't remember who I saw first in McGonagles but here's some that I did just to name a few.
    Death
    Carcass
    Acid Reign
    Xentrix
    Gang Green
    D.R.I.
    Sacred Reich
    Bambi wrote: »
    there was all sorts of killings at sacred reich, think that was the last metal gig i went to in McGonagles
    Fcuk! That's going right back. I'm sure I was at one or 2 of those. Maybe D.R.I.

But thats a savage collection of gigs right there. Serious scene back then when you think about it.
    The Suicidal/M.O.D. Gig was 1988 or 89.
    I also saw Kreator and Sepultura in the Top Hat.

Aside from not being able to get in to DRI with a forged ticket I was at all of the above and a good few others. Megadeth in 1988 was probably the best of the lot. Metallica were as up there own hole 26 years ago in Dun Laoghaire as they are now. Still can't get my head around how popular they became to the point of being a household name.

Mickey H wrote: »
    @Links234: I'll see your "Versailles" and raise you a Floor Jansen special...

They're pretty damn amazing live ;)

Saw 'em with Tarja Turunen, and then with Anette Olzen when they played in Vicar Street a few years back. Did you catch them then?

And glad you like Versailles! :D

This was the last band I saw live, they were incredible live and put on one hell of a performance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

They're pretty damn amazing live ;)

Saw 'em with Tarja Turunen, and then with Anette Olzen when they played in Vicar Street a few years back. Did you catch them then?

And glad you like Versailles! :D

Nope. Hadn't heard of them then! I'm assuming that Tarja was brilliant live?

• Advertisement

Mickey H wrote: »
    Nope. Hadn't heard of them then! I'm assuming that Tarja was brilliant live?

Yeah, but I'd nearly they were better with Anette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I seem to be the only Napalm Death fan in the village.

Nodin wrote: »

I dunno, I'd say if you posted a thread up on that forum, you'd find a couple more ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

That makes Two of us :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I love ND, got to see them before, great show. One of the last gigs I've gone to in Whelans, after that it seemed most were in the Pint, and now they seem to be shifting towards the Voodoo Lounge. Bigger capacity I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

No, not at all.

LIES!!!!
    Bought the scum album in Tower Records London when it came out!:p

I did see Napalm Death at a festival once!

They're not really my thing though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

No, not at all.

Great song, the 2 seconds just fly by. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Behold! The ultimate Heavy Metal charity record!

NONE MORE METAL!!

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This thread could use a bit of Lordi

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Listening to these guys at the minute. Two of the members of the black metal band Anaal Nathrakh are in this band too.

The only sludge band I've really listened to is eyehategod, would there be any other bands you'd recommend for that genre?

Angron wrote: »
    The only sludge band I've really listened to is eyehategod, would there be any other bands you'd recommend for that genre?

Jesus I'm no connisseur but definitely check out the Melvin's heavy as fcuk,there used to be another band called buzzov-en who I remember as being in a similar vein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Angron wrote: »

crowbar have their moments

and seeing as how we're on about napalm death, blood from the soul

and not sludge but **** it sure, the mighty, mighty neurosis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Any love for kraut-rock?

The obsessed are pretty sludgey too come to think about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Used to be a big fan, not so much anymore.

I like the old more musically-driven kind as opposed to the modern kind where there's a high emphasis placed on technique as opposed to what sounds good. Don't want to sound pretentious but as a guitar player I just don't find metal attractive, I just feel there's a lot more distortion/gain to hide behind compared to other genres.

I think a lot of modern metal acts could learn a lot from the "less is more" attitude, I just don't see the appeal in listening to some guy play 300 notes in 10 seconds as opposed to playing 3 or 4 that sound good.

This is a huge issue in metal right now. Some use it well. Some don't and each song sounds the same.

Example Dragonforce epically fast but it all sounds the same. And I don't know what happens in the studio magic maybe but live they are very sloppy.

Steve Vai is not only fast but musically gifted. Petrucci, Michael Angelo Batio are fast but have something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

May not be heavish metal sounds but musically he is as good as jazz musicians.

The second clip is art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Thanks for coming out After Hours, you're keeping the scene alive!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Was introduced to Gojira by a friend recently, and am loving their stuff. They have a very unique sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I like Lawrencium a lot.

Mercury Iridium and Osmium are good too - but I can't stand crap like Iron. WTF IRON - YOU ARE NOT HEAVY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Some of Irelands finest right here:

Primordial - Death of the Gods: http://youtu.be/3ePGo0wY1bE

Does anyone remember an Irish band called cursed earth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

No, not at all.
    beano345 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember an Irish band called cursed earth?

Were they originally called Custard but it wasn't evil sounding enough?

Bafucin wrote: »
    This is a huge issue in metal right now. Some use it well. Some don't and each song sounds the same.

Example Dragonforce epically fast but it all sounds the same. And I don't know what happens in the studio magic maybe but live they are very sloppy.

Steve Vai is not only fast but musically gifted. Petrucci, Michael Angelo Batio are fast but have something else.

Saw Dragonforce twice and yeah, they are real sloppy live :(

Don't really listen to much of the solo guitar player stuff, but Petrucci is great because Dream Theater had some great songs. I prefer their older stuff, 'cos I think they've dissapeared up their own asses years ago. They kinda just devolved into one of the wankiest bands out there, and have the most obnoxious fans ever. Still love a lot of their earlier albums though :p

• Advertisement

Were they originally called Custard but it wasn't evil sounding enough?

I don't know,I just remember hearing a few of their songs and they were pretty decent never really made it though bit like kerbdog.

Bafucin wrote: »

It's an argument that's been going on since the 80's. You had the new punk hard core influenced bands vs the old school too much coke bands (eg van halen one donnington gig had two-three 15 minute guitar solos).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

No, not at all.
    Oh and you guys HAVE TO see this video :D ****ing Maximum The Hormone are unreal, but this video is just, well, you watch it all the way through ;)

I have no idea what is going on but I am EXCITED! Seriously, what was that "winny upload" bit? Completely caught me off guard!

I have no idea what is going on but I am EXCITED! Seriously, what was that "winny upload" bit? Completely caught me off guard!

Haha! :D It's one awesome video, isn't it! :D

Winny is a file sharing program, kinda like the Japanese napster and they're basically taking the piss out of bands and people who are so strongly against it. Like at the end of the video, the drummer is basically saying (I think) how you're scaring everyone off to the singer.

you might enjoy this video as well! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I like Heavy Metal. I love BABYMETAL. 私は日本が大好き

I love BABYMETAL.

We know! ^_^

• Advertisement

Anyone hear the new Overkill? Its good, so it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Do not watch this video, The Fox God Kitsune-sama has taken the form of 3 young ladies from Japan. Their music has the power to consume your soul leave you powerless to resist. Get away now while you still can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

No, not at all.
    So this turned up on my Recommended Viewing list on Youtube just now... I like it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

So this turned up on my Recommended Viewing list on Youtube just now... I like it! :D

I love their version of that song! Although I prefer Howard Jones' vocals there are some catchy songs on their most recent album.

• Advertisement
Advertisement