Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice bread dublin

Options
  • 17-07-2014 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apart from supermarkets, where can i get some of the nicest nice bread in dublin, crusty brown bread with seeded crust etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

M y mother in law gets the most gorgeous bread and cakes in Clarkes in Phibsborough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

janja wrote: »
    M y mother in law gets the most gorgeous bread and cakes in Clarkes in Phibsborough!

Thanks tried there before, am interested in other places, anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The Natural Bakery - few shops around town (only southside I think). Gorgeous, really good breads, but very expensive.

The Bretzel in Portobello. Get there early! Their sourdough is the best I've ever tasted. Never manage to get past it, so can't actually answer for their browns, but I can only imagine that they're very good indeed.

I was a fan of Lidl breads for a while but kinda sick of them now, and not convinced they're not parbaked Cuisine-de-France-style. But their browns are very good - a lovely German rye tang off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

There's an Italian Bakery on Hanover Quay, ilvalentino.ie
    Fallon & Byrne have excellent bread

The Bretzel Bakery in Portobello
    Let Petit Parisien on Wicklow St

I've not had much luck with Donnybrook Fair bread, to be honest.

PS: Lidl's bakery is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Cakes & Bakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

The Green Door on Manor St- Stoneybatter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Not Dublin City but Country Bake in Dalkey do the nicest seeded Brown Bread, it's called a Rustic Loaf and is the business. Bit far to travel for you mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Red Hare wrote: »
    The Green Door on Manor St- Stoneybatter
    Was just going to post this, great bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Roly's in Ballsbridge bakes fresh tasty brown breads daily.

I've had mixed luck with Il Valentinos bread, but their desserts are great.

Also consider Avoca and Fallon & Byrne in city centre as well as Hansel & Gretel near the National Gallery.

Krust on Aungier Street is new and haven't tried it yet but must soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LIDL's GI Cob is very nice, but I haven't seen it in every shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If you have transport, try visiting some of the farmers markets around the county, I got a Garlic and Tomato Crusty seeded Brown in the one in Dún Laoghaire recently and while it sounds a bit Rank, it was actually delicious with real butter on it.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

St Catherines Bakery on Meath St does some good old-school, Dublin favourites (such as turnovers, batches etc) - no fancy stuff at all though (other than the cakes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 UniqueBakes

A Disgrace wrote: »
    St Catherines Bakery on Meath St does some good old-school, Dublin favourites (such as turnovers, batches etc) - no fancy stuff at all though (other than the cakes)
    The original Catherine's Bakery opposite St Catherine's church on Thomas Street did the most amazing turnover loaves. I remember stopping in there in the 1970's to get bread and nibbling on it in the back of the car on the way home. My father would go out of his way to get it. It was that good. Catherine's Bakery on Meath Street seem like they are keeping the tradition alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I was a fan of Lidl breads for a while but kinda sick of them now, and not convinced they're not parbaked Cuisine-de-France-style. But their browns are very good - a lovely German rye tang off them.

They bake them from deep frozen, no idea where they make them and how long they are stored though. I like them, but I've no illusions, it's processed food...

Farmers markets usually have a stall or two, I slice breads and freeze them. It's easy to toast a slice or to pop it in the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Village bakery around the corner from Fitzmaurice road in Glasnevin/ Ballygall has excellent soda bread. They also have white bread that never gives my mother heart burn whenever other bread gives her heartburn

• Registered Users Posts: 40 c_murph

I think my favourite breads are from Arun bakery - he sells at the Honest 2 Goodness market in Glasnevin on Saturdays (about 2 mins walk from Woody's DIY).

I think you can get his breads in Fresh too. The olive oil and rosemary sourdough is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

++ for Green Door Stonybatter - I have only had absolutely flawless baking to date.

Also second the Arun and Bretzel recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tartine-Organic-Bakery/488713484479884?ref=ts&fref=ts

I get my weekly treat of bread from these guys at the Green Door Market in Newmarket. Its amazing stuff!!

Advertisement