Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Yeah it's always hand to have 0.5 or 1.0 in the bank so you can easily transfer in whoever rips it up in GW1.

Have you posted up your team recently, out of interest?

De Gea

--Terry
    Pieters
    Van Aanholt--

Fabregas--Ramsey--Mata--Sigurdsson

----Sturridge---Rooney---Jelavic----

SUBS: Gilks, Taylor, Moore, King(could be any £4.5 mid)

Overall i'm happy with things but the Hazard/Fabregas and Sturridge/Costa choices are doing my head in. Money is not a problem with either moves as i've money in the bank and more than happy to change Jelavic to either Fletcher/Bojan etc to free up an extra .5 also.

Sooner things kick off for better or worse i'll be all the better for it myself! I usually WC at the international break anyway. Had a **** start to last season though and found it tough to catch up so hoping for a better start this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

When UTD playing teams outside the top 6 like they will be for the first few weeks of the season the wing backs will play very high up the pitch, Young will have plenty of attacking chances and I think he's worth it at 5.5 because he'll shoot up in price if he grabs a goal or an assist, he's a good player, he wants to prove himself and he's in form.

Who's uniteds other wing back? If he's not a midfielder just pick him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Who's uniteds other wing back? If he's not a midfielder just pick him.

Exactly!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Is there a precedent for a player playing in a more defensive position than FPL have awarded him proving to be good value. You are losing one of your midfielders for 5.5m which is enough to buy a premium defender (wing back if you want) who will get 4 points for a clean sheet. I'm baffled as to how this could be sensible. As well as this who is genuinely confident that Young will start every week??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Oviedo was down as midfielder last season was he not? Got a few games when Baines was injured I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Lukaku, Koschielny, and Coleman all doubtful (75%) risk em or transfer. My bench is solid at best.

What are Remy's chances of playing against Hull?

I'd say close to 100%

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Oviedo was down as midfielder last season was he not? Got a few games when Baines was injured I believe.

Yeah, he was peoples 4.4 cheapie though right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

CSF wrote: »
    But he is unlikely to score a few goals in the opening games because he is playing in defence. Don't let the massively more open pre-season games confuse you on that. Swansea and Sunderland won't be set up anything like the teams United played in pre-season.

For all the hype about Coleman, and he did great last season, he only scored 6 goals last season from that position. On what basis are you expecting Young to exceed that by enough to make the precious midfield space he is taking worth it?

Here, its pretty obvious you havent an actual clue about united's formation. Young is basically going to operate as a LM , LWB (hardly any defensive duties) when defending, he will be their only outlet on the wing, they will depend on him to dominate that side of the field and he has delivered massively in pre season against quality opposition such as roma, inter and real madrid so yeah in my opinion a guy who is gauranteed to start the first month at a club like united with those fixtures are so easy is quite brilliant value actually at 5.5! Anyone who does not agree thats ok - just watch him rake me in those points in the first 6 gameweeks, while i transfer him back out after those games ;)!

You are comparing him with coleman !?!? a guy who plays as a rigid Full back in a 433 with another winger in front of him!? Coleman is part of a defensive united , a back 4 , he has huge ability and pace , thats what gets him into attacking positions, not the position he actually plays. Young will play in a 3-4-1-2 formation , occupying the left flank, with little defensive responsibilty. Just informing you there on some basics about formations mate so ya know for future ;)

Here, its pretty obvious you havent an actual clue about united's formation. Young is basically going to operate as a LM , LWB (hardly any defensive duties) when defending, he will be their only outlet on the wing, they will depend on him to dominate that side of the field and he has delivered massively in pre season against quality opposition such as roma, inter and real madrid so yeah in my opinion a guy who is gauranteed to start the first month at a club like united with those fixtures are so easy is quite brilliant value actually at 5.5! Anyone who does not agree thats ok - just watch him rake me in those points in the first 6 gameweeks, while i transfer him back out after those games ;)!

You are comparing him with coleman !?!? a guy who plays as a rigid Full back in a 433 with another winger in front of him!? Coleman is part of a defensive united , a back 4 , he has huge ability and pace , thats what gets him into attacking positions, not the position he actually plays. Young will play in a 3-4-1-2 formation , occupying the left flank, with little defensive responsibilty. Just informing you there on some basics about formations mate so ya know for future ;)

Saying a LWB is the same as a LM is one of the most laughable things I've heard on this forum.

If you're going to post in a condescending manner at least say things that aren't completely stupid.

Yeah, he was peoples 4.4 cheapie though right?

Yeah he was cheaper alright. Scored a couple of goals too.

• Advertisement

Saying a LWB is the same as a LM is one of the most laughable things I've heard on this forum.

If you're going to post in a condescending manner at least say things that aren't completely stupid.

Also it's not a good thing to come onto a forum of this standard talking the Johnny big balls talk with a finish outside the top 1.5 million last year.

Get good at the game, then talk the ****e.

Comparing Coleman an orthodox RB who plays with someone ahead of him is one to Ashley Young in uniteds formation is one of the most laughable things Iv read on this forum.

When united defend Young has little responsibility , there are 3 solid centre halfs for that , he merely tucks back into a LWB position. When united attack he is a LM - as high up the field as Mata most of the time. Is that clearer for you bro? x

Yeah he was cheaper alright. Scored a couple of goals too.

That's grand though because of the role he plays at that price. Akin to what people are considering in Isgrove, Albrighton this year.

Young is too expensive to play that role.

Also it's not a good thing to come onto a forum of this standard talking the Johnny big balls talk with a finish outside the top 1.5 million last year.

Get good at the game, then talk the ****e.

I didnt play last year , had a serious illness from Jan- april so was unable to do pretty much anything.

Any advice for this team.

Howard

Gibbs
    lovren
    felipe luis
    debuchy

coutinho
    fabregas
    Ramsey
    Henderson

Costa
    Rooney
    Subs- krul ----bojan
    Bruce
    besic

Who should be my captain and any changes I should make?

I didnt play last year , had a serious illness from Jan- april so was unable to do pretty much anything.

You're aware that I can see where you finished the last 8 years and know you're in no position to be condescending about anything FF related.........right?

That's grand though because of the role he plays at that price. Akin to what people are considering in Isgrove, Albrighton this year.

Young is too expensive to play that role.

I don't necessarily agree with that point at this particular moment in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

A wing back is between a full back and a winger in terms of position. Hence the name. Saw enough of Young pre season to have him in my team anyway, latest news has just cemented that decision. He will get into forward positions a lot. United will score goals. He may well benefit from new bp system also. He might not be 100% reliable in the long term, but getting points on the board is the most important, and I fancy his chances in the short term at least. Definitely in my gw1 lineup

MarkSRFC21 wrote: »
    Any advice for this team.

Howard

Gibbs
    lovren
    felipe luis
    debuchy

coutinho
    fabregas
    Ramsey
    Henderson

Costa
    Rooney
    Subs- krul ----bojan
    Bruce
    besic

Who should be my captain and any changes I should make?

Rooney. I'd ditch Gibbs as he's made of glass and Arsenal have a tough start. Maybe get Evans in if he's fit or a United wing back, I hear they are playing so high up the pitch they get nose bleeds ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I don't necessarily agree with that point at this particular moment in time.

BqmFDueCEAAxNe_.jpg
    Are you talkin' to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Quit arguing and just get Mata lads! ;)

Rooney. I'd ditch Gibbs as he's made of glass and Arsenal have a tough start. Maybe get Evans in if he's fit or a United wing back, I hear they are playing so high up the pitch they get nose bleeds ;)

Cheers will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I think its harsh to bring peoples past scores into a debate but as CSF said you've played the game for 8 seasons and have never finished in the top 300,000, so I would assume you would happily class yourself in the 'casual player' category? This isn't the soccer forum, we aren't debating Youngs football skills! If he's playing out of position (in the wrong direction) it would take very special circumstances to justify playing him, and I've never seen a situation where this was +EV. Also, there's no guarantee he will play the first few games.

FYI - you aren't necessarily wrong in picking him, but your thinking is pretty flawed. Manual Man summed up his reasoning in 3 sentences better. And comments like below won't get you much respect around here... most regular posters finish in the top 0.5% in the world on a regular basis.
    Anyone who does not agree thats ok - just watch him rake me in those points in the first 6 gameweeks, while i transfer him back out after those games ;)!

Personally I wouldn't go near Young, especially if he's playing OOP. I can understand MM's thinking but its a totally unnecessary risk. I would love to see him in any rivals team in GW1! I would instantly be offering them bigger odds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Eriksen or Coutinho? Both are the same price. Im maybe leaning more to Eriksen because of Liverpool's hard opening fixtures but I'm just worried about price rises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

What is spurs defensive line up going to be for GW1, and 2,3,4 etc? Any fans here?

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »
    I think its harsh to bring peoples past scores into a debate
    Fair enough yeah, I was just annoyed by his ignorance.

FWIW, I wouldn't bring it into an actual FF debate, I wasn't using that to say I was right and he was wrong (everyones opinion is as valid as the next whether you won the thing last year or are starting out for the very first time), I was using it in response to the condescending manner he was using towards me, when he clearly is in no position to do so.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Eriksen or Coutinho? Both are the same price. Im maybe leaning more to Eriksen because of Liverpool's hard opening fixtures but I'm just worried about price rises

Continuo has been on fire in pre season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I would go Eriksen. Coutinho has never really been consistent enough for me, and as you say the opening fixtures aren't great. I think Southampton will put up more of a fight than people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I thought this was a pretty good article about Eriksen and how he'll fit into Pochettino's system: http://www.espnfc.us/club/tottenham-hotspur/367/blog/post/1983117/christian-eriksen-will-follow-the-same-path-as-luka-modric-and-gareth-bale-all-the-way-to-madrid

He's been in pretty much all my drafts since his PPG in the second half of last season was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

roryc wrote: »
    I would go Eriksen. Coutinho has never really been consistent enough for me, and as you say the opening fixtures aren't great. I think Southampton will put up more of a fight than people think.

That's my problem with him too. He could bag a goal and an assist and than disappear for three games. I probably go with Eriksen and then reassess for the usual International break WC

• Advertisement

MarkSRFC21 wrote: »
    Continuo has been on fire in pre season

Yea he was superb against Dortmund the other day. He played behind Sturridge in the first half and played some great through balls. He had a terrible shot to goal ratio last season so that can only improve and I expect him to get a lot more assists this season.

The problem in fpl terms is that Liverpool change formation a lot and Coutinho can go from playing in the hole to playing deep as a link up player which will be annoying. If he starts playing behind Sturridge regularly though he'll be straight into my team. To answer the original question I would go for Eriksen as he has shown the form consistently and you know what your getting from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Giroud and Eriksen

or

Sanchez and Austin

Thoughts ???

Macker1 wrote: »
    Giroud and Eriksen

or

Sanchez and Austin

Thoughts ???
    Sanchez and Austin. You've the flexibility of shifting Austin around for a number of other guys then whenever it takes your fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Yea he was superb against Dortmund the other day. He played behind Sturridge in the first half and played some great through balls. He had a terrible shot to goal ratio last season so that can only improve and I expect him to get a lot more assists this season.

The problem in fpl terms is that Liverpool change formation a lot and Coutinho can go from playing in the hole to playing deep as a link up player which will be annoying. If he starts playing behind Sturridge regularly though he'll be straight into my team. To answer the original question I would go for Eriksen as he has shown the form consistently and you know what your getting from him.

These quotes from Rodgers after the Dortmund game indicate that he'll continue in the off the striker role, and one of the main reasons I'm thinking of playing him, for GW1 at least, ahead of Eriksen/Lamella.

‘He is so gifted and the fans appreciated it because of the level of the opponent,’ said Rodgers. ‘His ability is just magical. His ability to get out of tight situations, his view of the game. That’s his best position too — playing between the lines, he tempts defenders out.
    ‘You saw that with the ball he played around the corner for the first goal. It’s about sustainability with him now. He’s lit up this country with his quality. We are now going on to a big stage in Champions League and he will have chance to show that there, too.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2721057/Daniel-Sturridge-Dejan-Lovren-score-Liverpool-cruise-4-0-win-Borussia-Dortmund-final-pre-season-game.html#ixzz3AJ6rTo9M

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

The official FPL 14/15 is in the App Store now for anyone on iOS. It's €1.79.

I had it last year and it looks from the screen grabs like there are a few new features. I'll be getting it anyway and will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

Okay...

The UI has been updated and looks great. The big addition this year seems to be the ability to receive push notifications:

Gameweek deadline: 2 hours before a gameweek deadline.
    Bonus points: all points for the day have been added.
    Tables: league and mini-league tables updated.
    The scout preview: when published.
    The scout review: when published.
    Double gameweek: 48 hours before a DGW.
    No team fixtures: no team fixtures this gameweek.
    Fixture changes: fixture moved to a different gameweek.

I've bought it on the iPhone but there doesn't seem to be an iPad version.

For €1.79 I reckon it's well worth having, you might gain a few extra points, and you won't be driven demented checking every 5 minutes whether the tables have updated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

At the minute am going with both with Fabregas, Mata and Jack Rodwell 5m as my midfield. Rodwell has a lot to prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Apologies if someone brought this up earlier today but with Shane Long moving to the Saints what will their starting strike force be for first few weeks?

Fair enough yeah, I was just annoyed by his ignorance.

FWIW, I wouldn't bring it into an actual FF debate, I wasn't using that to say I was right and he was wrong (everyones opinion is as valid as the next whether you won the thing last year or are starting out for the very first time), I was using it in response to the condescending manner he was using towards me, when he clearly is in no position to do so.

Yeah look i apologise for previous comments re young! I am a united fanatic and in general a premiership fanatic but im not by any means a fantasy football fanatic as you rightly guessed from previous scores, but what got me into these threads is that im after entering a league this year for the first year ever for actual real money amongst my friends (winner will receive over 500 approx) so i plan to be as fanatical as possible this year and hopefully i will drastically improve my score from previous years, I would by in large consider myself a bit of a footie nerd , whether this translates into ff success we shall see. I will continue posting and reading the thread . Sorry about the young fiasco was bit childish on my behalf alright

Yeah look i apologise for previous comments re young! I am a united fanatic and in general a premiership fanatic but im not by any means a fantasy football fanatic as you rightly guessed from previous scores, but what got me into these threads is that im after entering a league this year for the first year ever for actual real money amongst my friends (winner will receive over 500 approx) so i plan to be as fanatical as possible this year and hopefully i will drastically improve my score from previous years, I would by in large consider myself a bit of a footie nerd , whether this translates into ff success we shall see. I will continue posting and reading the thread . Sorry about the young fiasco was bit childish on my behalf alright
    Sorry aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Apologies if someone brought this up earlier today but with Shane Long moving to the Saints what will their starting strike force be for first few weeks?

I admittedly have no real idea other than guessing from reading articles that say he'll play a 4-3-3:
    Long
    Tadic

Pelle

Long and Tadic as wide forwards, Pelle as the main striker.

FHFC wrote: »
    These quotes from Rodgers after the Dortmund game indicate that he'll continue in the off the striker role, and one of the main reasons I'm thinking of playing him, for GW1 at least, ahead of Eriksen/Lamella.

‘He is so gifted and the fans appreciated it because of the level of the opponent,’ said Rodgers. ‘His ability is just magical. His ability to get out of tight situations, his view of the game. That’s his best position too — playing between the lines, he tempts defenders out.
    ‘You saw that with the ball he played around the corner for the first goal. It’s about sustainability with him now. He’s lit up this country with his quality. We are now going on to a big stage in Champions League and he will have chance to show that there, too.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2721057/Daniel-Sturridge-Dejan-Lovren-score-Liverpool-cruise-4-0-win-Borussia-Dortmund-final-pre-season-game.html#ixzz3AJ6rTo9M

That's interesting, hadn't seen those quotes. It sounds like he might be thinking of using Coutinho to provide the creativity that Suarez provided. As a pool fan and for fpl I hope he does play him there. I think I might have a punt on him too. He could be the best way into Liverpool attack given that Sterling and Sturridge have gone up a couple of million in price this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Luke Shaw out for 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Yeah look i apologise for previous comments re young!
    Sorry aswell.

:)

tumblr_m6lp6oBJcV1qlxt27.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I switched him out a long with a few other minor players. If he doesn't go before the game I don't to risk it messing with his head. If he does go, he'll need time to gel and doubtful he'll get a full game.

Luke Shaw out for 4 weeks

Up to 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Up to 4 weeks.

Guardian say he's expected to miss the first 4 EPL games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Any word on Johnny Evans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Girlfriend organised a surprise camping trip in the wilderness from tonight until saturday afternoon.

Me out loud: 'Yay, thanks'!

Me to myself: 'God-dammit, now I have to pick my fantasy football team by tonight, and on top of that I won't hear any last minute injury news or be able to do any last minute tinkering with my team'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Any word on Johnny Evans?

Or do any Utd fans know who will fill the 3 CB spots without him? (Assuming ye stick with 3/5 at the back...)

Advertisement