Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

what price will Di Maria be when he joins united ? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet - there were 3 games that ended 1-0 and in each of these games a defender from the loosing team got bonus points (Pieters 2, O'Brien 2 and Ferdinand 1).

Does anyone have a clue what was the reason for this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

Lemlin wrote: »
    I can't see Rodgers going straight 4-4-2 though. I have a limited knowledge of Liverpool's tactics I'll admit but even last season was one of Suarez or Sturridge not generally forced out to the wing?

I had thought myself that Balotelli had sometimes played in a number ten role for City playing off a striker but perhaps I'm wrong.

Maybe he'll go 4-3-3 with Balotelli and Sterling on the wings off Sturridge.

If Balotelli does finalise this move to liverpool, in the long run I could see them using the man city style 4-2-2-2 with sterling/lallana/markovic/coutihno playing off the front two of sturridge and balotelli.

In order to incorporate mario into the first 11 i firmly believe rodgers will have to change his system . He is a no9 and nothing else, he cant play on the wing or as a 10. He doesnt have the know how/football brain like a coutihno for example.

If anything for the long run this move has to put me off the supporting liverpool players like sterling etc.. Balotelli if purchased will prob be assured of a starting spot and if hes not starting he will sulk. Can see sturridge playing off him at times which does not suit sturridge or least its not his favoured spot.

A transfer 1 too many perhaps for liverpool. we shall see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

If Balotelli does finalise this move to liverpool, in the long run I could see them using the man city style 4-2-2-2 with sterling/lallana/markovic/coutihno playing off the front two of sturridge and balotelli.

In order to incorporate mario into the first 11 i firmly believe rodgers will have to change his system . He is a no9 and nothing else, he cant play on the wing or as a 10. He doesnt have the know how/football brain like a coutihno for example.

If anything for the long run this move has to put me off the supporting liverpool players like sterling etc.. Balotelli if purchased will prob be assured of a starting spot and if hes not starting he will sulk. Can see sturridge playing off him at times which does not suit sturridge or least its not his favoured spot.

A transfer 1 too many perhaps for liverpool. we shall see

He did start out as a winger with inter but yeah at this stage it doesn't seem to suit his game any more. Strange signing by Liverpool I think their team would be stronger without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

cant see how balotelli can impact Sterling. It'll be much similar to when Suarez was there last year.

Sterling will still assist and score a bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

zarquon wrote: »
    4-3-3 is certainly the other possibility. Pool still have Coutinho, Markovic and Lallana to accommodate so it will be interesting to see how Rogers manages this.

You'd have to imagine that Sturridge and Balotelli will be first choice

With CL and a couple of cup runs though, he'll have plenty of games to accomodate them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

wonski wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet - there were 3 games that ended 1-0 and in each of these games a defender from the loosing team got bonus points (Pieters 2, O'Brien 2 and Ferdinand 1).

Does anyone have a clue what was the reason for this?
    This is a pretty good article about defender BPS: http://development.totalfpl.com/Articles/312/defender-bonus-point-weekly-gw1

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

With CL and a couple of cup runs though, he'll have plenty of games to accomodate them all.

I think this is the main issue for Liverpool this season. Liverpool's front 6 was pretty consistent last year through necessity and it's arguable that Hendo missing the last few games cost Liverpool the league because the squad was too thin.

With CL thrown in this year, the squad had to be deepened, and an element of squad rotation introduced. I've Sterling in my team, but once Lallana and Markovic are fit those positions behind the striker(s) are going to get extremely competitive.

With Balotelli joining we could see the diamond formation used again, with 2 up top, making the person deployed "in the hole" even harder to predict.

Trying to figure out which system Liverpool will use from week to week will be hard too, Rodgers has shown himself to be very pragmatic rather than rigidly sticking to one formation.

Balotelli is certainly a signing I wasn't expecting. Perhaps Rodgers heard he was available on the cheap and decided to go with it.

I still think that Sturridge will always play through the centre for Liverpool so either its a switch to a two man frontline or Balotelli coming in from the wing.

I always thought they had wanted Remy because he could play on the wing. I still think Liverpool will go with 4-2-3-1, if Balotelli isn't in the number ten, perhaps he'll be in a wide position. Did he not play that wide position for City before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

New players added:
    Rojo DEF (MUN) £6.0m
    Fer MID (QPR) £5.5m
    Fernandez DEF (SWA) £5.0m
    Play: http://bit.ly/FantasyPL

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Very true. Rodgers has talked at length at buying players who are flexible and can play centrally and out wide. He is a big fan of the diamond formation. At home against the weaker teams, I could see Coutinho playing in midfield with Sterling in the hole behind two strikers.

It will be interesting to see who the core players are this year for Liverpool. Every team has its players that are immune to rotation to a certain extent. Right now, I would say Lovren and Henderson are they players. Liverpool have a lot of flexibility in Lallana, Markovic, Sterling and Coutinho so as above with all the extra games, there could be a lot of rotation especially in the attacking midfield positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think this is the main issue for Liverpool this season. Liverpool's front 6 was pretty consistent last year through necessity and it's arguable that Hendo missing the last few games cost Liverpool the league because the squad was too thin.

With CL thrown in this year, the squad had to be deepened, and an element of squad rotation introduced. I've Sterling in my team, but once Lallana and Markovic are fit those positions behind the striker(s) are going to get extremely competitive.

With Balotelli joining we could see the diamond formation used again, with 2 up top, making the person deployed "in the hole" even harder to predict.

Trying to figure out which system Liverpool will use from week to week will be hard too, Rodgers has shown himself to be very pragmatic rather than rigidly sticking to one formation.

This would also be my thinking on it. I'd see liverpool going with a diamond 2 up top as their first choice team with the front 6 being Gerrard Hendo lallana sterling in the hole behind Balotelli sturridge. Overall I'd say it's bad for sterling if the move goes through as it's inevitable he will be rotated occasionally with Coutinho Markovic etc in a change of formation or due to freshness after cl games.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

I'd imagine he would come in around the 9.5 - 10.5 mil mark. most likely 10mil.

Can't see Rodgers starting Balotelli ahead of Sturridge if he is fit but he may play both of them in the same way as he did with Suarez.
    He's never scored more than 14 league goals at any club he's played for. He will come at 9million I think.

Balotelli is certainly a signing I wasn't expecting. Perhaps Rodgers heard he was available on the cheap and decided to go with it.

I still think that Sturridge will always play through the centre for Liverpool so either its a switch to a two man frontline or Balotelli coming in from the wing.

I always thought they had wanted Remy because he could play on the wing. I still think Liverpool will go with 4-2-3-1, if Balotelli isn't in the number ten, perhaps he'll be in a wide position. Did he not play that wide position for City before?[/QUOTE]

No he didnt ever play in a wide position before at city, as someone else said he played maybe a handful of games as a teenager at inter as a winger , he is an out and out no9 a centre forward that leads the line. He will not be played as a no10 or on the wing, trust me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

How can we trust you Arnold when you lied to us for years and years impersonating Principal Skinner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    How can we trust you Arnold when you lied to us for years and years impersonating Principal Skinner?

That was Armin

Ormus wrote: »
    That was Armin

I have checked it with a couple different websites , some say arnold , some say armin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I have checked it with a couple different websites , some say arnold , some say armin.

It was most definitely Armin, I assumed yours was a deliberate mistake:P Lets agree to never speak about it again

Anyway back on topic, what do ye think about Mata?:eek::D

It was most definitely Armin, I assumed yours was a deliberate mistake:P Lets agree to never speak about it again

Anyway back on topic, what do ye think about Mata?:eek::D

I have kept him, hoping for a big few weeks from him and rooney

• Advertisement

It was pretty clear Hull would be after someone after selling Long and losing Snodgrass.

Stay away form the Lancashire Messi please Brucey....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/21/hull-city-bid-jordan-rhodes-blackburn

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭SD1990

Henderson or Arnautovic this weekend? :-/

SD1990 wrote: »

Stoke play Hull who have Europa League tonight I think. I'd go Arnautovic.

SD1990 wrote: »

Drop Arnie at your peril;)

Seriously though for this week and with that choice DROP ARNIE AT YOUR PERIL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Interesting article on defenders from last week and worth following.

http://totalfpl.com/Articles/312/defender-bonus-point-weekly-gw1

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭John83

Trying to decide on whether to start Pieters (Hull away) or Debuchy (Everton away).

I'm leaning towards Pieters because I fancy Everton to score and I'm wondering will Hull be slightly distracted by the job they have to do in the Europa league next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

John83 wrote: »
    Trying to decide on whether to start Pieters (Hull away) or Debuchy (Everton away).

I'm leaning towards Pieters because I fancy Everton to score and I'm wondering will Hull be slightly distracted by the job they have to do in the Europa league next week.

Yeah plus Pieters got a few bonus points last week, despite conceding. Although Debuchy got an assist despite conceding so it is a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm just wondering, I currently have Lovren starting. However, due to the fact that Liverpool are playing against City I don't particularly fancy them to get a clean sheet. I have Cameron (STK), who are playing Hull, on the bench but he isn't a guaranteed starter, I think.

So my question is, if I start Cameron and he doesn't start, Lovren will then come into play, yes? I also have Dummet as an option. Thoughts?

Sorry, noob question :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I'm in defensive mess this weekend!

Chambers (possibly wont start/play 60 mins)
    Taylor (only played 45 mins last week)
    Bruce (down as a doubt)

Basically my defence this week consists of De Gea, Terry and two of the above. My other option is Van Aanholt against Utd.:o

Not predicting as good a result as last week!

So my question is, if I start Cameron and he doesn't start, Lovren will then come into play, yes?

Lovern will come in if Cameron plays zero minutes.

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering, I currently have Lovren starting. However, due to the fact that Liverpool are playing against City I don't particularly fancy them to get a clean sheet. I have Cameron (STK), who are playing Hull, on the bench but he isn't a guaranteed starter, I think.

So my question is, if I start Cameron and he doesn't start, Lovren will then come into play, yes?

If Cameron plays even 1 minute he'll stay in your team, otherwise the first defender on your bench (assuming you're playing three at the back) will come in.

So between Cameron, Dummett and Lovren, do ye think Lovren would be the best option?

Playing 3 at the back with Debuchy, Terry and Lovren.

Actually I have Neil Taylor starting at home to Burnley as well. I only noticed now that he only got 52 minutes last week. Was that due to being booked in the first half? Would he usually be expected to play longer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

John83 wrote: »
    Actually I have Neil Taylor starting at home to Burnley as well. I only noticed now that he only got 52 minutes last week. Was that due to being booked in the first half? Would he usually be expected to play longer?
    I was listening to the game and the commentators called this just beforehand due to the booking. He was getting taken to the cleaners and was walking a tightrope with every foul. He'll play unless something has come up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Liam2012

So between Cameron, Dummett and Lovren, do ye think Lovren would be the best option?

Playing 3 at the back with Debuchy, Terry and Lovren.

Dummett started last week and the defence didn't look that bad from what I saw and have read in the meantime. Villa are very unpredictable. So I'd say he has the best chance of a CS of those 3. If he doesn't start he's unlikely to come on as a sub so if you have Lovren 1st defensive sub he'll come in there. Cameron is unlikely to play at any time barring injury. So putting him 1st defensive sub wouldn't be the worst idea either if you're convinced Lovren won't get points v City. I know Lovren's goal threat isn't great and I myself don't fancy a CS for Liverpool but he should play the 90.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

West Brom sign Samaras.
    https://twitter.com/WBAFCofficial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

F1ngers wrote: »
    West Brom sign Samaras.
    https://twitter.com/WBAFCofficial

Feck me WB are going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Whats the story with Isgrove? Was going to get him in but FFS not having him as starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Naismith at home to arsenal or colochinni away to villa - what do you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Smartguy wrote: »
    Naismith at home to arsenal or colochinni away to villa - what do you reckon?

I'd go Naismith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Cheers, was thinking that alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

caulker (away to spurs) or Hutton (home to Newcastle )?
    also have chambers but not considering him for selection......

Gone Dummet instead of Lovren in the search for a clean sheet, hope it pays off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Looks like Bruce is being shipped out (or is already gone but FPL site not updated yet) to Blackburn, any suggestions on picking up a replacement £4m defender? I already have Wisdom so was thinking maybe Hutton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Anyone know if Bojan looked promising last weekend? I didn't see any of the highlights and he was a popular choice for 3rd striker before 1st match.

Have him on the bench but wondering if anyone else here who has him are thinking about replacing him in coming weeks?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if Bojan looked promising last weekend? I didn't see any of the highlights and he was a popular choice for 3rd striker before 1st match.

Have him on the bench but wondering if anyone else here who has him are thinking about replacing him in coming weeks?

From the highlights he had a couple of chances and BBC Live Text praised him a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

He was a popular choice because he was 5.5m. Other than that he is not special.

Stoke has good fixtures ahead - having him on the bench might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Caulker away at Spurs or Van Aanholt home to United. Wouldn't surprise me if Caulker popped up and scored against his old club so I'm leaning towards him at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Looks like Bruce is being shipped out (or is already gone but FPL site not updated yet) to Blackburn, any suggestions on picking up a replacement £4m defender? I already have Wisdom so was thinking maybe Hutton?

Do you mean being sold to Blackburn?

Dummett an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

My head to head guy has oshea and Ferdinand. I've collicini, caulker and Aanholt. Not sure which 3 to play, have aanholt on the bench currently, can't see any of them scoring highly but just in case should I match my his sunderland and qpr defense?

He also took a four point hit and I scored 10 points more than him last game week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement