Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dónal wrote: »
    I'm very nervous about the midweek games.

There could be absolute carnage over the next few days.
    An awful lot of -4's and -8's triggered already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I hope Sanchez gets injured
    There I said it :p

km79 wrote: »
    I hope Sanchez gets injured
    There I said it :p

I have him and tbh I wouldn't mind a 3-4 GW injury!!!
    It would make my future transfers a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

PARlance wrote: »
    I have him and tbh I wouldn't mind a 3-4 GW injury!!!
    It would make my future transfers a lot easier.

Ye me too I'd be happy sanchez to adm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Just had a look at the links from AdMMM post,

Best bench (=> http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/269641/event-history/10/) is exactly why I'm a strong advocate of the 8th attacker playing bench fodder. I also feel he has too many big guns in defense. Selection headaches most weeks which turned into a disaster this week (despite his good score).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

iroced wrote: »

Best bench (=> http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/269641/event-history/10/) is exactly why I'm a strong advocate of the 8th attacker playing bench fodder. I also feel he has too many big guns in defense. Selection headaches most weeks which turned into a disaster this week (despite his good score).

I was a little annoyed losing 2 pts by playing Bertrand over Clyne; couldn't handle the heartbreak over situations like the above. He's still beating me overall though.....

Don't know why it annoys me as I don't know the guy from Adam... but I'm really not a fan of this type of retrospective analysis!

The guy made 2 transfer for a -4 hit:
    Sterling -> Sanchez was genuis
    Siggy -> Brunt (how had 2 good returns previously) was probably needed to free up funds.
    Personally, I agree with the 8th bench fodder route, but before last week you can forgive him for thinking that he would rotate Brunt & Downing... it's only really after this weekend that most people see Downing as a legitimate starter....and that may backfire.

This guy clearly rotates his keepers, a popular choice amongst many! Not for me personally. Favouring the home keeper was his plan and that could be considered standard. It was looking very good up until the 60th minute with Begovic.

Another "mistake" he made was keeping Terry, it's not in vogue at present but Terry could very well become an important player to have. I'd like to have him from now to the New Year. I certainly wouldn't have taken another -4 (-8) to get rid of him if I was that guy.

He got Baines and Chambers spot on... as it turns out.
    I think Terry at home to QPR vs Clyne away to Hull was probably the correct decision before the GW commenced.

I'm laughing at myself here, defending a total randomer :D

Hindsight will make fools of us all given time ;)

For some reason this popped into my head straight after posting :)

So Jay Clark...if that's your real name (http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/269641/event-history/10/)
    This one's for you buddy :)

@PARlance: I think you got me plain wrong here. I was not having any dig at all at the guy. I just commented on the facts and took his misfortune as a shining example for what I believe is a way too risky and heartbreaking approach to play this game.
    And I know for sure how he must feel. I've been playing the game this way for long (my first 2 seasons I'd say) and as I'm repeating everywhere on this forum (:pac:) I'm now convinced this approach is not worth it. You lose more than you gain over a full season.
    I mean rotating keepers is fine. Rotating cheap defenders is fine. Rotating mid-priced def why not? But rotating keepers, mid-priced def and midfielders is too much IMO. Too many selection headaches and too much bound to tears.

- edit -

If only Al Pacino could talk to my team like that every week :pac:...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Dice75 wrote: »

Brilliant...

I love no 6.

6. Stewart Downing’s Good Form Has Got You Questioning Everything You Thought You Knew About Football

@PARlance: I think you got me plain wrong here. I was not having any dig at all at the guy. I just commented on the facts and took his misfortune as a shining example for what I believe is a way too risky and heartbreaking approach to play this game.
    And I know for sure how he must feel. I've been playing the game this way for long (my first 2 seasons I'd say) and as I'm repeating everywhere on this forum (:pac:) I'm now convinced this approach is not worth it. You lose more than you gain over a full season.
    I mean rotating keepers is fine. Rotating cheap defenders is fine. Rotating mid-priced def why not? But rotating keepers, mid-priced def and midfielders is too much IMO. Too many selection headaches and too much bound to tears.

- edit -

If only Al Pacino could talk to my team like that every week :pac:...

Sorry iroced, wasn't meant to be a dig at you, as I knew you weren't having a dig at him... Shall I keep digging :)

Just seen a few posts of teams that had GW disasters of late and they don't sit right with me... But don't mind me, I'm just sh1tting it as my good run is due to end and it could be me being the subject :)

But getting back to the "risk" he's taking.
    I really don't think that team is a risky team.
    He has Baines, that's standard enough, he also has a 2nd expensive defender that isn't as standard... currently... but I could see that changing, the lidl defence is a fairly recent template.
    We all know that defence is usually the last place we usually look to when making a transfer. Personally I don't mind Terry in there, Jose usually gets his team in good shape at the back and we all may be looking for cover there soon.
    At worst I would say that he has taken a little longer to adjust rather than saying it's a risk.

Having Downing and Brunt is certainly not something I would do, but again, I don't think it's a risk. The rotation of those players didn't work this week but they cost the same as Siggy & Boyd and that didn't work this week either.
    It's not a headache I would want but it's far from a risk imo.
    If people are prepared to rotate goalkeepers, and that's commonly accepted as a standard move, then I don't really see how this situation is much different.

I completely agree with you on the heartbreaking element of it though!
    I couldn't be putting myself through that.

I do #7 way too often :o

#28 You know Stoke's preseason friendly schedule.

FHFC wrote: »
    #28 You know Stoke's preseason friendly schedule.

#29 The League Cup isn't a small meaningless competition anymore

or more importantly, that

#30 Us United fans still have an interest in the Champions League

• Advertisement

#31 You probably know when a player is one yellow from a suspension before the actual manager

#32. You know far better PL players than your domestic league (Ligue 1) ones.

I mean I know the Burnley backline, who knows the Evian Thonon Gaillard one :pac:?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

You get really annoyed with "Pottechino" for not resting the best players in the Europa league, despite you being a Spurs fan and that competition being a genuine chance for them to qualify for the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

You get really annoyed with "Pottechino" for not resting the best players in the Europa league, despite you being a Spurs fan and that competition being a genuine chance for them to qualify for the champions league

Amen brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Dice75 wrote: »
    Brilliant...

I love no 6.

6. Stewart Downing’s Good Form Has Got You Questioning Everything You Thought You Knew About Football

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at No. 7!

All too familiar and has me questioning my morals most weekends

• Advertisement

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at No. 7!

All too familiar and has me questioning my morals most weekends

Thats why I much prefer not having strong feelings for any Premier club when playing this game.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Thats why I much prefer not having strong feelings for any Premier club when playing this game.....
    I actually find there's a correlation between who someone supports and how they're doing. I'm a west ham fan, had Sakho ahead of the curve this year.

Last year I fell well behind my Liverpool-supporting friends (Mignolet/Sterling?Suarez), while way ahead of my United-supporting friends (Mata/RVP).

This season the Liverpool-supporters are sticking with Lovren/Sterling too long and are falling back, while my private league is being led by a Arsenal fan who has captained Ramsey and then Sanchez for their big hauls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I actually find there's a correlation between who someone supports and how they're doing. I'm a west ham fan, had Sakho ahead of the curve this year.

Last year I fell well behind my Liverpool-supporting friends (Mignolet/Sterling?Suarez), while way ahead of my United-supporting friends (Mata/RVP).

This season the Liverpool-supporters are sticking with Lovren/Sterling too long and are falling back, while my private league is being led by a Arsenal fan who has captained Ramsey and then Sanchez for their big hauls.
    Mostly the players that fall into this analysisare those that wouldn't have been super likely to do well in the game anyway, good players are willing to take the glasses off.

I do agree though that you'd have an insight into someone like Sakho from watching him more, and you might get in there earlier, but the reverse should not apply in terms of having a team full of West Ham players who aren't doing the biz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

#33: You wake up one morning and discover you now support Norwich :pac:

I loved the Steven Fletcher one.

I loved the Steven Fletcher one.

I didn't. Had the fecker for first three gws. :mad:

I didn't. Had the fecker for first three gws. :mad:

I played him over Siggy first match :(

For those without sanchez Ill leave this here.
    These are his stats so far this season
    Premier league 9 games 7 goals 2 assists 12 BPS
    the 3 games he blanked in were everton away when he only played the first half, spurs at home when he only came on for the last 28 mins and chelsea away when they struggled in a 2 0 defeat.
    Champions league 6 games 3 goals 1 assist.
    He blanked away to dortmund in a 2 0 loss and besiktas 0 0 draw and anderlecht away.
    To sum up he is a massive goal threat as he has shown throughout his career and is basically getting attacking returns in every game bar some of the tougher games Chelsea and dortmund away and a couple of games at the start when he was getting limited gametime due to his extended world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

the 3 games he blanked in were everton away when he only played the first half, spurs at home when he only came on for the last 28 mins and chelsea away when they struggled in a 2 0 defeat.
    He blanked away to dortmund in a 2 0 loss and besiktas 0 0 draw and anderlecht away.
    To sum up he is a massive goal threat as he has shown throughout his career and is basically getting attacking returns in every game bar some of the tougher games Chelsea and dortmund away and a couple of games at the start when he was getting limited gametime due to his extended world cup.

He cost me a goalkeeper after Mannone being dropped so hopefully he delivers enough to cover for no keeper this gw.

Stop tempting me into a silly (on paper) -4 :mad::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

So he's scored V Palace, Burnley, Hull, Leicester and Sunderland (and Man City)
    Didn't score V Spurs, Everton, Chelsea

The City goal aside, he's only scored against teams in the bottom 7.

Between now and January, he plays 10 games, 5 of which are against the top 7.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a no-brainer, just trying to give some food for thought.

He's 10.7 now, bout the same as Yaya peaked at last year. and I had Yaya for most of last season. My conundrum is whether to ditch ADM or Cesc

Shedite27 wrote: »
    So he's scored V Palace, Burnley, Hull, Leicester and Sunderland (and Man City)
    Didn't score V Spurs, Everton, Chelsea

The City goal aside, he's only scored against teams in the bottom 7.

Between now and January, he plays 10 games, 5 of which are against the top 7.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a no-brainer, just trying to give some food for thought.

He's 10.7 now, bout the same as Yaya peaked at last year. and I had Yaya for most of last season. My conundrum is whether to ditch ADM or Cesc

Id nearly discount the everton and spurs games as he didnt get close to a full game. In days gone by the likes of lampard, gerrard, fab were in and around the 11 million mark if I remember correctly. Id class sanchez as at their FF standard and well worth the money.

He did score in big games in Spain though, notably en El Clasico. So there's no reasons he would not in big EPL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Who is Arsenal's penalty taker in Arteta's absence. Acording to FFS it's Giroud and then Ozilbut I can't see Ozil ever getting one again.
    Sanchez would seem the obvious choice but then again Arteta wouldn't particularly jump out at you if you knew nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Who is Arsenal's penalty taker in Arteta's absence. Acording to FFS it's Giroud and then Ozilbut I can't see Ozil ever getting one again.
    Sanchez would seem the obvious choice but then again Arteta wouldn't particularly jump out at you if you knew nothing.

Maybe Ramsey

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Zaki!

It's hilarious. I was dumping a few ancient notebooks at work and I had the tendancy to sevote a pace on a friday morning to my team.

I had Zaki in with all the big guys at the time and I thought...who the fcuk is Zaki! Checked him on wikipedia - what a legend he was!!!

Walcott if he's on the pitch. Otherwise, I would hope it would be Sanchez since I don't think I trust Welbeck to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It's hilarious. I was dumping a few ancient notebooks at work and I had the tendancy to sevote a pace on a friday morning to my team.

I had Zaki in with all the big guys at the time and I thought...who the fcuk is Zaki! Checked him on wikipedia - what a legend he was!!!

If my memory is ocrrect he started really well, maybe first 10 games he scored like 8 and then went right off the boil, what a hero though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He did score in big games in Spain though, notably en El Clasico. So there's no reasons he would not in big EPL games.

That opener on the last day decider in La Liga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

FutureGuy wrote: »

I can't believe you'd forget Zaki. He went missing on international duty later in the season iirc and was dropped by Bruce.

Speaking of Wigan, I was talking to a lad the other day at work about Roberto Martinez's poor buys. Anyone remember Mauro Boselli? Now there's a lad I'd like to forget, even if he was only one GW in my team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

No updates from me this weekend, house broken into, laptops, iPads and iPhones all robbed :(

Jesus, that's rough. Hope they catch the f**kers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

W*nkers. Tough break fhb

KevIRL wrote: »
    W*nkers. Tough break fhb

Think of all those fist pumping moments you'll have this weekend :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

No updates from me this weekend, house broken into, laptops, iPads and iPhones all robbed :(

That's ****. Get onto your house insurance ASAP.

Make a log of everything that was taken and get whatever proof of purchase you can for the goods - receipts, credit card statements, pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

Log in here quick, for all the people with iphones and i pad, to locate iphones and ipads, people sign up for these things and dont even realise upon initial registration

https://www.icloud.com/

Very sorry to hear that Finnharpsboy! I know the feeling only too well.

A warning for the rest of us, crimbo approaching...these kn*ckers will be in overdrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

Sorry to hear of your misfortune F.H.B,hope you can track your phones and tabs as mentioned above.Listen to Lemlin, he's experience in issues like this.

Tough luck finnharpsboy.

Hope you get sorted with insurance etc.

Thanks for all the concern and advice folks, much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement