Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Midweek games next week. We will have team news for 6 games before the deadline so hold your transfer till 7 on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Midweek games next week. We will have team news for 6 games before the deadline so hold your transfer till 7 on Tuesday.
    The fact there are 3 game weeks in such quick succession makes me less inclined to take the -8 I was going to !
    Also it's very very bad if Baines missed another 7 days as that's 3 games with a lot of money on the bench as I've to get rid of Moses too amongst others!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

FHFC wrote: »
    I'd do it for sure.

I've gone for it. I normally wait to make my transfers but did it last night as I figured I would convince myself to do something else otherwise! Have a habbit of over thinking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is there anyone there thinking of holding onto Clyne, or any Southampton player over their bruising run? I've had him from the start, so will find it hard to bring him back in afterwards!

AdMMM wrote: »
    Is there anyone there thinking of holding onto Clyne, or any Southampton player over their bruising run? I've had him from the start, so will find it hard to bring him back in afterwards!

I was going to but then ADM & Austin became too appealing. I think Clyne might well be worth holding as there isn't really anyone in that price bracket jumping out as a great replacement. I think Tadic would be the one to keep lots of options up front to replace Pelle.

• Advertisement

Clyne and Bertrand are the two easiest to keep as you can bench them the odd week due to most only picking 3 from a back 5 and if I had Clyne I'd be in no hurry to sell. I have Forster and just sold pelle which is a different story as these two along with tadic are players that most squads will be relying onto start every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Alot of people will be plumping for Charlie Austin early at the weekend though after his hat trick against Leicester :D

Ive both him and Bertrand, already shipped Pelle for Austin. Torn between a - 4 for berty to a Chelsea def, or to upgrade Chadli to anyone 8.8 or below.

With the gws coming thick and fast, now I'll probably hold off and swap Moore out for someone who gets his game like Dummet.

Either way, I'll be holding on to Clyne til January, even if he'll be on the bench most weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm keeping Bertrand! He's been good to me and I still wouldnt put it past Southampton to keep the odd clean sheet in the upcoming run in. He's always good for BPs and assists too!

Lemlin wrote: »
    Alot of people will be plumping for Charlie Austin early at the weekend though after his hat trick against Leicester :D

I hope they do!

$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Holding until I need the cash to fund a different move or have the cash to upgrade him to a Chelsea def. I'd be happy to start him GW15-18 if I still have him.

That's true Austin owes me after last weekend I have him vice captain at the minute and have been considering the armband.

That's true Austin owes me after last weekend I have him vice captain at the minute and have been considering the armband.

I've given him the armband and I'm not changing. With the exception of Aguero at the weekend, I have a pretty decent record with captaincy's so I am expecting at least an assist! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I have yet to use my Wildcard and was just wondering when does everyone reckon the most beneficial time to use it would be? I have never been in this position before as I have always used on the first international break. Was happy with my team this year so did not feel the need.

At this rate I feel I can make it to the January wildcard without activating. Would it be better to hold off til later in the season or maybe use it before the xmas period.

Thoughts as I have no idea what to do!

I have yet to use my Wildcard and was just wondering when does everyone reckon the most beneficial time to use it would be? I have never been in this position before as I have always used on the first international break. Was happy with my team this year so did not feel the need.

At this rate I feel I can make it to the January wildcard without activating. Would it be better to hold off til later in the season or maybe use it before the xmas period.

Hard to say really. If we have a very snowy January there could be some big dgws between matches being called off and fa cup ties etc and a well planned WC around then can be very profitable.

If your team doesn't need wholesale changes. Then you don't need to use it. Sounds like you just want to use it because you have it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Rikand wrote: »
    If your team doesn't need wholesale changes. Then you don't need to use it. Sounds like you just want to use it because you have it

No I don't plan on using it I was just wondering if there is a beneficial time that it can be used from someone who was in this situation before. I won't be using it for the sake of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

No I don't plan on using it I was just wondering if there is a beneficial time that it can be used from someone who was in this situation before. I won't be using it for the sake of it!

As has been said, double game weeks in the latter part of the season are a great time to use a wildcard if it's available to you. However this season there will be only 1 or 2 double gameweeks which is less than most previous seasons so a lot of people have opted to use it early me included.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

jebforever wrote: »
    As has been said, double game weeks in the latter part of the season are a great time to use a wildcard if it's available to you. However this season there will be only 1 or 2 double gameweeks which is less than most previous seasons so a lot of people have opted to use it early me included.

So should I use mine tomorrow? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

So should I use mine tomorrow? :P

Up to you but don't be surprised seeing my boys raise their game against your new recruits. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

If it's any comfort to you, I used my WC very late (after GW30) the season before last and the one before. My plan was to take advantage of the (sometimes) huge DGW close to the end of the season. It worked both times. But to do so it took me more time and more hits earlier in the season to get the "template" team. Thing is, like you I felt there was no urge to use it and then I never needed more than 2-3 transfers to readjust my team (so thought there was no need for WCing). I ended up on 19k and 16k these 2 years. I don't know if I could have been higher had I played it earlier...

Anyway, since there's no immediate cash profit to be made this year, there's no real benefitial time to use your WC, like the first 2 international breaks in the previous seasons. Personally when I "need" 12 pts hit or more I activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

jebforever wrote: »

Let's be fair very few people took into account the expected number of DGWs when playing their wildcards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Roy Keane gone from villa as assistant manager

KevIRL wrote: »
    Roy Keane gone from villa as assistant manager

Probably for the best - for everyone

jimmii wrote: »
    Hard to say really. If we have a very snowy January there could be some big dgws between matches being called off and fa cup ties etc and a well planned WC around then can be very profitable.

A bad Winter has been predicted for Britain for a few months now. Whether it actually comes is another thing.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/520672/Winter-weather-2014-UK-forecast-cold-snow-November
    January is currently showing signs of temperatures hitting “record-breaking” lows meaning parts of the country could see the mercury plunge to -27C (-17F).

In regard to the wildcard, I think it loses its value somewhat after a period. I know someone who held it late into the season and felt it was a waste in the end. I've always used it pre GW6. Also, I find it hard to concentrate while its available because you're always aware, it's there. Just ask Mr P!

A bad Winter has been predicted for Britain for a few months now. Whether it actually comes is another thing.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/520672/Winter-weather-2014-UK-forecast-cold-snow-November

fingers crossed! I have often waited for the DGW then it comes and some how everyone who didn't have a WC still ends up with 8+ DGW players!!

jimmii wrote: »
    fingers crossed! I have often waited for the DGW then it comes and some how everyone who didn't have a WC still ends up with 8+ DGW players!!

Don't talk to me about DGWs. Last season I was flying in the top 300 in the world and then the DGWs came. I took out players like Yaya and Hazard and brought in DGW players like Tom Ince and Kevin Noble.

Never again will I be fooled by the false pretenses of a DGW!

Don't talk to me about DGWs. Last season I was flying in the top 300 in the world and then the DGWs came. I took out players like Yaya and Hazard and brought in DGW players like Tom Ince and Kevin Noble.

Never again will I be fooled by the false pretenses of a DGW!

Its such a horrible tease! Last season it was a disaster I was not doing great I think just a shade inside 100k but I thought have my WC the DGWs are coming up I can still sneak into the top 10k or so or at least 20k dear god it went horrible come GW38 I had to have a good week to get a top 250k finish yuck!! For some reason I haven't learnt and will be doing the same again this year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Any prem league teams DONT have under soil heating?

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    Any prem league teams DONT have under soil heating?

I think Blackpool were the only ones not to have it a few years back and even they do now. according to this article "Olympic Park has been built without the under-soil heating required in England to stage top soccer matches." so it seems they may now be obliged to have it although wikipedia disagrees with that. Its pretty costly to have to call off a match so I would have thought they would all now have it to try reduce the risk of matches being called off. Its normally the surrounding area that causes matches to be off though not the actual pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

That website is a pain in the hole, a lot of the skill is being taken out of the game, where will it end?

I must be good because one of my next planned transfers is a a Chelsea defender and the squad optimiser told me to bring in Cahill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Anyone wanna help me pick my two other starting defenders? :P

Dummett, Duff, Bertrand, Wisdom,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Anyone wanna help me pick my two other starting defenders? :P

Dummett, Duff, Bertrand, Wisdom,

Dummett and Duff seems a no brainer to me.

• Advertisement

Dummett and Duff seems a no brainer to me.

Not that clear cut. Burnley 6/4 to keep CS so duff should be a cert. Southampton and newcastle both 3/1 and WBA 4/1. Bertrand is more of an attacking thread so I'd be inclined to give him the second spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

qwabercd wrote: »
    Not that clear cut. Burnley 6/4 to keep CS so duff should be a cert. Southampton and newcastle both 3/1 and WBA 4/1. Bertrand is more of an attacking thread so I'd be inclined to give him the second spot.

Do you happen to have the odds for Villa and Arsenal handy...

Clean sheet odds (paddypower) for those interested (descending order):

Chelsea 10/11
    Man U Evens
    Swansea 13/10
    Liverpool 7/5
    Arsenal 6/4
    Burnley 6/4
    West Ham 7/4
    QPR 9/5
    City 21/10
    Spurs 23/10
    Villa 5/2
    Leicester 13/5
    Newcastle 3/1
    Southampton 3/1
    Everton 16/5
    Palace 7/2
    WBA 4/1
    Stoke 9/2
    Sunderland 13/2
    Hull 17/2

Interesting stat from squakwa twitter page:

Dusan Tadic has created the most chances (39) in the Premier League this campaign. Fabregas (37), Downing (34), Di Maria (31), Sanchez (30).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Only came across this now and it doesn't have anything to do with FF but it's just so hilarious I had to post it.

David James Fail | BT Sport - http://lockerdome.com/bbcsporf/6169461380096065/7192679624879380

• Advertisement

qwabercd wrote: »
    Interesting stat from squakwa twitter page:

Dusan Tadic has created the most chances (39) in the Premier League this campaign. Fabregas (37), Downing (34), Di Maria (31), Sanchez (30).

Sanchez creating all them chances for himself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Would you lads start Chambers (at home to Southampton) or Boyd (at home to Newcastle) midweek?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Paully D wrote: »
    Would you lads start Chambers (at home to Southampton) or Boyd (at home to Newcastle) midweek?

I've a similar quandary at the moment barring a further transfer
    wisdom home to west ham or Boyd
    I played Boyd yday. from highlights he was not very dangerous looking
    have a look at Southampton today I suppose and decide then
    I'd be leaning towards Boyd to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Paully D wrote: »

Play Chambers. I have Boyd but see him as a guy to come off the bench when another player unexpectedly doesn't play. I don't see him as a player I deliberately play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Will falcao start now against stoke or when can we expect him to start and get full 90 mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lol just noticed something about my work H2H league. There are 17 teams in it so each week one team ends up playing 'average' ie the overall average score for that game week. So far 'average' is 6th in the table. Shockingly bad standard in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

KevIRL wrote: »
    Lol just noticed something about my work H2H league. There are 17 teams in it so each week one team ends up playing 'average' ie the overall average score for that game week. So far 'average' is 6th in the table. Shockingly bad standard in the league

It'd be nice to playing "Average" on the run in to the title when loads of casuals have jacked it in.

I'm still 24 points ahead of second and 68 ahead of 5th in my private league.
    That's after I've had a GW rank of 3m & 1.7m in the last 2.
    If I don't win that €200 I should be shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Just as if to show the fickleness of H2H leagues, 2nd in the Boards H2H Pay League has 660pts overall score with 26pts in the H2H. 37th (next to last) in the same league has 734pts overall score but just 9pts in the H2H. Talk about getting the run of things (or not!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

manual_man wrote: »
    Just as if to show the fickleness of H2H leagues, 2nd in the Boards H2H Pay League has 660pts overall score with 26pts in the H2H. 37th (next to last) in the same league has 734pts overall score but just 9pts in the H2H. Talk about getting the run of things (or not!!)
    There is a bit of that, but if a H2H was your main league with money you cared about (which in my case it nearly enough is) there is alot of strategy involved in terms of when to take point hits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

CSF wrote: »
    There is a bit of that, but if a H2H was your main league with money you cared about (which in my case it nearly enough is) there is alot of strategy involved in terms of when to take point hits etc.
    100% agree. I'll even add that when you're in this kind of league, you can't play the overall rankings in the meantime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement