Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone leaving out Chelsea defenders v W Ham?
    Really tempted to play Dawson v Aston Villa in a WBA double up again.

Madness or clever?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

dahat wrote: »

Madness or clever?

Yes, I'm leaving Terry on the bench. He's even my second sub. I just can't decide whether to put Clichy (Leics H) in my starting 11 - he might come on for a 1 pointer.

At the moment I'm playing Rose (DGW) - Bellerin (QPR A) - Dawson (Villa A)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Madness or clever?

People get wrapped up in you can't bench x because he plays for so and so or he costs x million you should play the players you think are going to get the most points regardless of who they play for and how much they cost once they are in your match squad them how much they cost is irrelevant.

EDIT: Having said that I would 100% be playing Terry over Dawson in this spot. Terry more likely to get a cleansheet and a lot more likely to chip in with attacking returns!

Posada wrote: »
    Yes, I'm leaving Terry on the bench. He's even my second sub. I just can't decide whether to put Clichy (Leics H) in my starting 11 - he might come on for a 1 pointer.

At the moment I'm playing Rose (DGW) - Bellerin (QPR A) - Dawson (Villa A)

I'd play those 3 as well, just hoping for some sort of clue from Jose tomorrow regarding team selection.
    At the moment I'm playing Dawson but whether I'm brave enough to follow through is another matter.

jimmii wrote: »
    People get wrapped up in you can't bench x because he plays for so and so or he costs x million you should play the players you think are going to get the most points regardless of who they play for and how much they cost once they are in your match squad them how much they cost is irrelevant.

Plain and simple I fancy Villa not to score more than West Ham not scoring.

Surely Chelsea will have some sort of lag after the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd go with your Chelsea defender over Dawson all day long to be honest, even more so if I had Foster.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd go with your Chelsea defender over Dawson all day long to be honest, even more so if I had Foster.

I would do that against every team in the PL except Aston Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Madness or clever?

West Ham have one win in 10 league games, plus a FA Cup hiding against WBA. On the flip side they have only failed to score twice at home this season, and they will surely be up for a derby against Chelsea. Then again they conceded from 3 set pieces against Palace on Saturday so Terry has decent potential for attacking returns. I'll be starting him anyway, but my other choices are Jones and PVA.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    West Ham have one win in 10 league games, plus a FA Cup hiding against WBA. On the flip side they have only failed to score twice at home this season, and they will surely be up for a derby against Chelsea. Then again they conceded from 3 set pieces against Palace on Saturday so Terry has decent potential for attacking returns. I'll be starting him anyway, but my other choices are Jones and PVA.

I just have this niggle that West ham will be well up for this and see a chance to get a result v Chelsea.
    I must look to see how previous games have gone v Chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

After GW 2 I was ranked 258k overall, by GW 12 I had plunged to 1.2 million but finally after GW 27 I've managed to get back to my GW 2 rank. At 244k now. If I get inside the top 100k it'll be a good season!!

Plain and simple I fancy Villa not to score more than West Ham not scoring.

Surely Chelsea will have some sort of lag after the cup final.

Then go for it so! Game is all about opinions have to go with what you believe.

unkymo wrote: »
    After GW 2 I was ranked 258k overall, by GW 12 I had plunged to 1.2 million but finally after GW 27 I've managed to get back to my GW 2 rank. At 244k now. If I get inside the top 100k it'll be a good season!!

You should still be aiming higher than that at this point it wouldn't take much for you to be able to get into the top 50k or so. 50k is on 1470 right now how far behind that are you?

EDIT: hmmm actually tougher than I thought 200k is almost 70 behind 50k still doable though. 100k is 36 ahead of 200k so that should definitely be a achievable then throw in a little luck and who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Only 70 behind 50k, that's not too bad actually. I still have a wildcard left! My best ever overall finish was 42k so I still have a bit of a chance to beat that.

unkymo wrote: »
    Only 70 behind 50k, that's not too bad actually. I still have a wildcard left! My best ever overall finish was 42k so I still have a bit of a chance to beat that.

A good WC is definitely going to give you a chance! Sounds like its very close from 200k to 244k if you're only 70 behind! 200k is 67 behind according to The Gargatron. I still have mine left too but every season I have been able to hold it I have dropped like a stone the last few weeks never seem to be able to nail the late one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Guys I am in the middle of my Wildcard and have one big question remaining. Heres my line-up as it stands

Foster -- Myhill

-- Bruce -- Terry -- Alder -- Bellerin -- Rose

Hazard -- Ozil -- Silva -- Eriksson -- Ameobi

---- Kane -- Aguero -- Sturridge

I don't really want to go without Sanchez just yet. The only way I can keep him is to downgrade Terry. I will be selling Rose as well Id imagine at some stage

I have just enough for Terry --> PVA and Ozil ----> Sanchez

I was half contemplating leaving Terry on the bench this week as it was. If Sanchez fluffs his lines over the next few weeks I could always revert. Main issue is only having one Chelsea player for the time being.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Guys I am in the middle of my Wildcard and have one big question remaining. Heres my line-up as it stands

Foster -- Myhill

-- Bruce -- Terry -- Alder -- Bellerin -- Rose

Hazard -- Ozil -- Silva -- Eriksson -- Ameobi

---- Kane -- Aguero -- Sturridge

I don't really want to go with Sanchez just yet. The only way I can keep him is to downgrade Terry. I will be selling Rose as well Id imagine at some stage

I have just enough for Terry --> PVA and Ozil ----> Sanchez

I was half contemplating leaving Terry on the bench this week as it was. If Sanchez fluffs his lines over the next few weeks I could always revert. Main issue is only having one Chelsea player for the time being.

Thoughts?

Can you go terry to zouma he wont play all games but should feature a fair bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Can you go terry to zouma he wont play all games but should feature a fair bit

Good shout. I could do Rose
    > Zouma but may wait until next GW. Interestingly enough Terry is at 35% ownership in the top 1000 & Ivanovic at 25%. Surely not many have both so that's a nice percentage covered by either or. Zouma at 5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Just looking at future fixtures of Costa and Sturridge.

Sturridge
    16 Mar 20:00 Gameweek 29 Swansea (A)
    22 Mar 13:30 Gameweek 30 Man Utd (H)
    04 Apr 12:45 Gameweek 31 Arsenal (A)
    13 Apr 20:00 Gameweek 32 Newcastle (H)

Costa
    15 Mar 13:30 Gameweek 29 Southampton (H)
    22 Mar 16:00 Gameweek 30 Hull (A)
    04 Apr 17:30 Gameweek 31 Stoke (H)
    12 Apr 13:30 Gameweek 32 QPR (A)

I reckon for GW30 would be the perfect time to bring in Costa for a two gameweek punt when he plays Hull and Stoke. Then bring Sturridge back in for Newcastle at home.

The big problem though is Costa's yellow cards. Two more and he misses two games so it could be a waste of a transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Lemlin wrote: »
    Just looking at future fixtures of Costa and Sturridge.

Sturridge
    16 Mar 20:00 Gameweek 29 Swansea (A)
    22 Mar 13:30 Gameweek 30 Man Utd (H)
    04 Apr 12:45 Gameweek 31 Arsenal (A)
    13 Apr 20:00 Gameweek 32 Newcastle (H)

Costa
    15 Mar 13:30 Gameweek 29 Southampton (H)
    22 Mar 16:00 Gameweek 30 Hull (A)
    04 Apr 17:30 Gameweek 31 Stoke (H)
    12 Apr 13:30 Gameweek 32 QPR (A)

I reckon for GW30 would be the perfect time to bring in Costa for a two gameweek punt when he plays Hull and Stoke. Then bring Sturridge back in for Newcastle at home.

The big problem though is Costa's yellow cards. Two more and he misses two games so it could be a waste of a transfer.

The only thing is I have a feeling this United team is very out of sorts and going to Anfield vs a somewhat resurgent Liverpool could get a spanking. Unless United improve a lot I'd fancy Studge for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

IIRC the yellow card ban gets increased to 15 before GW33 so Costa will be good to go for their DGW. Before that I'll be playing it by ear.

• Advertisement

IIRC the yellow card ban gets increased to 15 before GW33 so Costa will be good to go for their DGW. Before that I'll be playing it by ear.

The deadline for 10 yellows is qpr gw 32 I think. Worst case scenario he gets his 10th yellow that day. Utd beat arsenal in fa cup meaning Chelsea have a blank gw 33. Then costa is suspended for both games of Chelsea's double in gw 34

The deadline for 10 yellows is qpr gw 32 I think. Worst case scenario he gets his 10th yellow that day. Utd beat arsenal in fa cup meaning Chelsea have a blank gw 33. Then costa is suspended for both games of Chelsea's double in gw 34

That would certainly be interesting :pac:. I can't believe some of my casual "rivals" love for Costa. Two of them held him through the 3 match ban and blank instead of getting Aguero. "He's too expensive"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Random observation - last GW my starting 11 consisted of players from just 4 different teams - city (3), wba (3), arsenal (3) and Newcastle (2). Can't get any fewer than that! Time to diversify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

a rival of mine took a transfer in GW27 and then 2 in GW28 but its not taking minus 4 of him. odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Dr. Bre wrote:
    a rival of mine took a transfer in GW27 and then 2 in GW28 but its not taking minus 4 of him. odd

He must have had 2 FTs in GW 27 but only used 1. He got another one this week so he had 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Dr. Bre wrote: »

He was probably carrying a spare one from 26 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Does anyone know where Yacob plays for WBA? Is he playing defensive mid or on the wing? I'd like West Brom cover and I could save 0.1m by bringing him in instead of Dawson :P Also, if he plays on the wing maybe more chance of an assist!

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where Yacob plays for WBA? Is he playing defensive mid or on the wing? I'd like West Brom cover and I could save 0.1m by bringing him in instead of Dawson :P Also, if he plays on the wing maybe more chance of an assist!

Defensive mid. Last four weeks Dawson has actually played further up the pitch than him so he tends to stay very deep!

BT Sport chose a great pair of fixtures to show this weekend :p
    Bradford 0-0 Reading
    Liverpool 0-0 Blackburn

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/574932700651515904

GOAL ACCREDITATION PANEL @SwansOfficial's goal against @BurnleyOfficial on Saturday 28 February has been confirmed as a Tom Heaton own goal

Happy to have benefited from this, Cork you legend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/574932700651515904

GOAL ACCREDITATION PANEL @SwansOfficial's goal against @BurnleyOfficial on Saturday 28 February has been confirmed as a Tom Heaton own goal

Happy to have benefited from this, Cork you legend :D

Makes it all the sweeter!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

4 out of my last 6 weeks I've had a GW ranking in the top 100k. Much needed boost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

Wonder have they an alternative colour free kick spray for when there's snow on ground :)

Invincible wrote: »
    Wonder have they an alternative colour free kick spray for when there's snow on ground :)

Yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

jimmii wrote: »
    Yellow.

The ref won't need a can just drink lots of water before hand.

patmac wrote: »
    The ref won't need a can just drink lots of water before hand.

The old back up spray. Hope webwont have to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

In the last 13 gameweeks I've had a massive 1 green arrow! Dropped from 22,000 to 177,000 :o The worst thing is it was very gradual, most weeks I was still beating the average score and then in the last 3 weeks dropped over 100,000 places...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

What are people doing with Bertrand/clyne for this game? Benching them for someone like pva who may not start? I'm thinking that after chelseas long midweek game, that game could easily be 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

What are people doing with Bertrand/clyne for this game? Benching them for someone like pva who may not start? I'm thinking that after chelseas long midweek game, that game could easily be 0-0.

Or after the, let's just say negative response from the press to the way Chelsea played, they might just come out and actually try to win a game by means other than haranguing the officials. They might hit the ground running and try to rack up a few goals to try silence their critics. They could hit The Saints for 4 or 5. I can't see Southampton keeping a cleanie.

• Advertisement

Benching Berty and playing Ivanovic, can't see Saints keeping a cs.

It means doubling up.on WBA though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The Guardian have predicted PVA as starting...but on the left wing. Has Poyet given any indication that this might happen? I'd be happy just with him starting but him playing further forward would be a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The Guardian have predicted PVA as starting...but on the left wing. Has Poyet given any indication that this might happen? I'd be happy just with him starting but him playing further forward would be a bonus.

From the Sunderland Echo
    GUS POYET insists there will be no surprises in the Sunderland side for tomorrow’s crunch relegation clash against Aston Villa.

Poyet only has 16 senior outfield players available for this weekend’s Stadium of Light tussle against Villa, with the injured Emanuele Giaccherini and Will Buckley, and suspended Lee Cattermole and Adam Johnson all unavailable.

With the players that we have got available for tomorrow, I think the team has practically picked itself – apart from maybe one decision
    Gus Poyet
    Promising Under-21s winger Duncan Watmore is likely to be involved on the bench, while full-back Billy Jones is fit-again after an ankle problem.

But with those limited options available, Sunderland boss Poyet says his starting XI to face the side lying one point and one place below the Black Cats has largely picked itself.

Poyet said today: “The starting XI tomorrow is not difficult.

“It’s a very common-sense team. I think if you put every single person who plays week-in, week-out, maybe there’s only one that people could disagree with.

“There’s not going to be anything strange. I can’t ask the players to do things simply, and then me complicate things with the team.

“With the players that we have got available for tomorrow, I think the team has practically picked itself – apart from maybe one decision.

“We know that we don’t have too many wingers at the moment, which has created a bit of an issue, but the players need to adapt.”

Sunderland and Villa are the Premier League’s lowest scorers this season, with the pair managing just 38 top flight goals between them.

Poyet expects a tight affair, but hopes Sunderland can emerge victorious in front of yet another near-to-capacity Stadium of Light crowd.

“I cannot see too many goals,” he added.

“The two teams who have scored the fewest goals in the Premier League are not suddenly going to be finishing 3-3.

“Saying that, if one team goes one or two up, there’s going to be spaces.

“Let’s put pressure on them, use the home crowd, and try to win the game.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

this would delight me
    2 of my defenders play oop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/577245008388079617

Poyet departure imminent apparently. Don't think it will change my mind about getting rid of PVA though.

https://twitter.com/CaulkinTheTimes/status/577244384653086720

Gus Poyet is on the brink at #Safc. Set to leave this week with the club targeting a short-term replacement until end of season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have a frontline of Kun,Kane and Austin which would be typical enough but tbh if Man City don't buck up their ideas I will be contemplating the almost unthinkable...selling Aguero.
    Are others thinking similarly!???

Of course the problem is apart from likes of Giroud who else gives a decent goals return at mo.....Sturridge taking time to get back into the groove and Costa is a bit overrated in my eyes...and also a nut job;)

Have a frontline of Kun,Kane and Austin which would be typical enough but tbh if Man City don't buck up their ideas I will be contemplating the almost unthinkable...selling Aguero.
    Are others thinking similarly!???

Of course the problem is apart from likes of Giroud who else gives a decent goals return at mo.....Sturridge taking time to get back into the groove and Costa is a bit overrated in my eyes...and also a nut job;)

Lots of people have been saying it but doubt we will see much of an exodus before the DGW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Beware! Very dangerous player. Must stay away from him. Bound to reduce to ashes your FPL team progress & ambitions.

Here's his most up to date list of wrongdoing.
    Leicester home = 2 pts
    WH away = 2 pts
    Burnley home = late cameo 4 min appearance 1 pt
    Swansea away = 0 pt
    Sunderland home = did not play, United got a CS
    Newcastle away = did not play, United got a CS
    Spurs home = I bench him since he was not supposed to play and did not want a 1 pt cameo, he gets CS + 1BP 7 wasted pts
    Please report any of his additional misdeeds to the FPL Headquarters.

Thank you for your cooperation,
    iroced.

2ngyhae.jpg

Have a frontline of Kun,Kane and Austin which would be typical enough but tbh if Man City don't buck up their ideas I will be contemplating the almost unthinkable...selling Aguero. Are others thinking similarly!???

Of course the problem is apart from likes of Giroud who else gives a decent goals return at mo.....Sturridge taking time to get back into the groove and Costa is a bit overrated in my eyes...and also a nut job

As jimmii said, I can't see myself getting rid of him before the DGW.

With Spurs having nothing to play for anymore, I may get rid of Kane before then aswell. A DGW frontline of Costa Sturridge Giroud would be lethal.

I think Im going to take the plunge and sell aguero next week:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement