Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

spock. wrote: »
    As jimmii said, I can't see myself getting rid of him before the DGW.

With Spurs having nothing to play for anymore, I may get rid of Kane before then aswell. A DGW frontline of Costa Sturridge Giroud would be lethal.

What week is that double game week potentially happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What week is that double game week potentially happening?

We have a fairly rubbish one in gw31 then a decent one on gw34 arsenal still have a game to be announced which I am hopeful will be 34 as well.

jimmii wrote: »
    We have a fairly rubbish one in gw31 then a decent one on gw34 arsenal still have a game to be announced which I am hopeful will be 34 as well.

What Confirmed DGW have we in the the next 3 GW's?

What Confirmed DGW have we in the the next 3 GW's?

QPR & Villa for GW31, Chelsea & Leiceter GW34 and now Arsenal & Sunderland GW37.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Would there be any doubts over Naughton losing his position? Presume he's pretty nailed on at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

#prayformyhillsavepoints :o

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Those of you with Foster but not Myhill, what keeper you going for?

Ospina - decent fixture this week and has a double coming up but also a blank before hand.

Myhill - cheap, guaranteed to play. Fixtures not the best.

Adrian, Fabanski, Forster - decent fixtures and will play

Currently trying to decide between Forster and Adrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

I did Foster-->Forster this week (doubling up with Bertrand) If money is no issue he's the best keeper to have over the rest of the season imo.
    Fabianski the next best alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

El festino wrote: »
    Those of you with Foster but not Myhill, what keeper you going for?

Ospina - decent fixture this week and has a double coming up but also a blank before hand.

Myhill - cheap, guaranteed to play. Fixtures not the best.

Adrian, Fabanski, Forster - decent fixtures and will play

Currently trying to decide between Forster and Adrian.

If you have the money and no chelsea def courtoius is a good shout good fixtures no blanks and a dgw in the next 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

If you have the money and no chelsea def courtoius is a good shout good fixtures no blanks and a dgw in the next 5.

You don't think Cech will get the odd match? Chelsea defenders have much bigger point potential anyway

• Advertisement

You don't think Cech will get the odd match? Chelsea defenders have much bigger point potential anyway
    I think he will at the end if chelsea have the league wrapped up. Im not getting courtoius I have Ivan but for people that need a keeper that dont have a che def I think its a good move. Courtoius to ospina or mig for gw 35 then if chelsea have the league sewn up.

If I was getting a GK I would just get Forster in and forget about it until the end

If I was getting a GK I would just get Forster in and forget about it until the end

Whats that?

Whats that?

Can't account for injuries. I wonder how many did Foster to Forster

I did. Cost me 10 points over the past 2 weeks and probably 2 transfers. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Here's your mate :(

I have Foster and Forster in UFPL down to just Krul now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Here's your mate :(

And me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    And me.

Me too. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

Skrtel charged after stamp on De Gea.

Elsewhere, Mc Cauley's red card transferred to Dawson who'll now be suspended for GW31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

SlickRic said the following in the GW30 Matchday thread.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    The challenge for those who lost out is to judge who of their team will perform in the next week or 2 and who won't, and to try to keep knee-jerking to a minimum, which is extremely hard to do when you've lost out by over 40 points in a week. the natural reaction is to think your team is absolutely shíte, whereas it's not necessarily the case.

I have a question or two now that I'm trying to find an answer to.......

I'm looking at my own team and trying to find out what I could have done differently over the last 4 weeks to prevent a slide from 24,000 to 70,000 place with a team I would not have considered shíte. How could I have predicted that I needed to sell both Aguero and Sturridge for Giroud and Costa? Being a week or two late to the party can destroy a season.

What prompted people to sell Sanchez weeks and weeks ago and why did many of us hold on to him?? I held on to him simply because I could. I didn't need to sell him to free up cash when he was injured. Did people sell because they needed cash or because they thought his best days were behind him (because selling him weeks ago meant you'd probably not be able to buy him back again)

There are some 50:50 decisions that don't go your way like bringing in Azpil instead of Terry earlier this season which cost probably 40 points, an incorrect captain choice (that Sanchez mega haul + Aguero mega haul which people can get on the wrong side of) and these decisions can affect your season but these are the bad luck calls I think that you can do little about.

But it's not all luck and I've made bad decisions. Can someone tell me how they decide the correct time to sell a player, a highly owned player like Sanchez or Aguero or Costa, when by doing so they run the risk of being on the wrong side of a big haul from them??

How long is too long too long to hold on to the likes of these? In other words, how long before your good team becomes shíte??!!

G1032 wrote: »
    SlickRic said the following in the GW30 Matchday thread.

I'm looking at my own team and trying to find out what I could have done differently over the last 4 weeks to prevent a slide from 24,000 to 70,000 place with a team I would not have considered shíte. How could I have predicted that I needed to sell both Aguero and Sturridge for Giroud and Costa? Being a week or two late to the party can destroy a season.

What prompted people to sell Sanchez weeks and weeks ago and why did many of us hold on to him?? I held on to him simply because I could. I didn't need to sell him to free up cash when he was injured. Did people sell because they needed cash or because they thought his best days were behind him (because selling him weeks ago meant you'd probably not be able to buy him back again)

There are some 50:50 decisions that don't go your way like bringing in Azpil instead of Terry earlier this season which cost probably 40 points, an incorrect captain choice (that Sanchez mega haul + Aguero mega haul which people can get on the wrong side of) and these decisions can affect your season but these are the bad luck calls I think that you can do little about.

But it's not all luck and I've made bad decisions. Can someone tell me how they decide the correct time to sell a player, a highly owned player like Sanchez or Aguero or Costa, when by doing so they run the risk of being on the wrong side of a big haul from them??

How long is too long too long to hold on to the likes of these? In other words, how long before your good team becomes shíte??!!

I sold Sanchez because his performance levels were dropping, there were far too many potential scorers in the Arsenal team, he wasn't gonna be played for full 90mins now that the others were back and needed game time (and he needed resting). Much better to sell and get Ozil who was 2m + cheaper who started to show what he was capable of - others opted for Santi has he guarantees assists and was on penalties

Aguero on the other hand is totally different - with City chasing Chelsea he was guaranteed game time (and nearly 90mins every week) and there wasn't many City players appealing. I would of opted for Aguero everytime! No one could of predicted he was going to have such a poor return (look at his ownership for top 10k) - people who didn't opt for him couldn't afford him or where chasing the pack & hoping for a differential (which worked). I felt he wouldn't return as much as earlier in the season and held back for a while but watching him play and not having him in your team while rivals did why drive you mad! If you were ahead of the pack you just had to have him in (IMO)

Chesty08 wrote: »
    I sold Sanchez because his performance levels were dropping, there were far too many potential scorers in the Arsenal team, he wasn't gonna be played for full 90mins now that the others were back and needed game time (and he needed resting). Much better to sell and get Ozil who was 2m + cheaper who started to show what he was capable of - others opted for Santi has he guarantees assists and was on penalties

And were you not afraid that he'd hit a big score or two and being so highly owned put a real dent into your season? I guess that's why I held on to both him and Aguero? The fear of their potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

In UL library here and I can see someone across the way from me on their fantasy team :p Anyone here no? :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

In UL library here and I can see someone across the way from me on their fantasy team :p Anyone here no? :L

Most people eye up women but a fanstay football team, that's a first!

• Advertisement

And were you not afraid that he'd hit a big score or two and being so highly owned put a real dent into your season? I guess that's why I held on to both him and Aguero? The fear of their potential.

Yes there was that fear but I felt that they would be more infrequent to earlier in the season due to - not playing full 90mins now, being rested for easier GW's and the fact there was other high potential scorers within the same team.

Aguero on the other hand had far less big scorer potentials in his team

I've had both success and failure with this. I sold Costa back in October because I was tired of the never ending drama over his hamstrings. That turned out to be a great decision since I used the money better and didn't have to worry about him for the captaincy which he usually underwhelmed in. I sold Kane on the Jan WC because he had a very high conversion rate that I didn't think was sustainable, tough fixtures, and a blank. That did not turn out so well and cost me 30+ points.

I was guilty of rushing Sanchez back in and giving him the armband against Leicester. In hindsight, it would have been much better to avoid but at the time 60% or so of the top 10k captaining him up front was too great a risk. Aguero I'm still holding and will continue to since I think he'll come good. Hopefully people sell him and he's a bit of a differential.

In terms of holding players too long I think it depends on the FTs you have available and how much you trust them with the armband even after a few blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

That's a very interesting matter.

You mentioned Agüero, Sturridge & Sanchez. Out of these 3 I'd put the blame on Sturridge for your free fall in the rankings lately. Purely because he's a differential (considering his ownership) and a differential that doesn't work means disaster in the overall rankings.

Now, what'd be interesting is to analyse your whole squad. A single differential can't singlehandedly destroy your team. I think you "gambled" on Yaya too. And I guess if you had Silva instead you'd be a good 20 pts (at least) better.

---

One thing I'd be very curious to know (if many boardsies agree we could actually gather the "data" in a table (*)) is some kind of ratio between your overall rankings and your captain returns. Like overall rankings, overall points, captain pts, vice captain points. Actually the "Possible Total Points if you Always Captained Highest Scorer out of (C) and (VC)" from http://anewpla.net/fpl/ is very interesting.

If I have a look at my own example, I'm stagnating around 20k for 8 GWs in a row now and I've been oscillating between 46k and 19k since GW17 which represents about half the season so far. Last year from GW13 onwards I've never been outside 14k and from GW22 onwards never outside 5k. After 30 GWs I scored this year 366 (C) pts which is 21.6% of my overall pts. Last year at the same stage I was on 454 (C) pts that represented 30% of my overall pts. I can search for all my mistakes but in my opinion the main difference lies here.

(*) Something like this icon5.png (using http://anewpla.net/fpl/) with each poster adding its own "data line" and so on and on...

boardsie | overall pts | (C) pts | (C) % | (VC) pts | best of (C)/(VC) pts | | bench pts
    iroced | 1691 | 366 | 21.64 | 424 | 1782 || 133

Boards username
    Total Points for the above Gameweeks
    Total Captain Points
    Total Captain Points as % of Overall Score
    Possible Captain Points if you Always used your Vice-Captain instead
    Possible Total Points if you Always Captained Highest Scorer out of (C) and (VC)
    Total Benched Points for the above Gameweeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

boardsie overall pts (C) pts (C) % (VC) pts best of (C)/(VC) pts bench pts
    Swiper 1767 406 22.98% 320 1827 196

Edit: that didn't really work did it:pac:
    Looked fine when I was putting it together:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just looked through my main rival in my work league and the poor guy is 2nd in all of his pay leagues, to different people in all of them!

• Advertisement

iroced wrote: »

You mentioned Agüero, Sturridge & Sanchez. Out of these 3 I'd put the blame on Sturridge for your free fall in the rankings lately. Purely because he's a differential (considering his ownership) and a differential that doesn't work means disaster in the overall rankings.

Now, what'd be interesting is to analyse your whole squad. A single differential can't singlehandedly destroy your team. I think you "gambled" on Yaya too. And I guess if you had Silva instead you'd be a good 20 pts (at least) better.

---

One thing I'd be very curious to know (if many boardsies agree we could actually gather the "data" in a table (*)) is some kind of ratio between your overall rankings and your captain returns. Like overall rankings, overall points, captain pts, vice captain points. Actually the "Possible Total Points if you Always Captained Highest Scorer out of (C) and (VC)" from http://anewpla.net/fpl/ is very interesting.

If I have a look at my own example, I'm stagnating around 20k for 8 GWs in a row now and I've been oscillating between 46k and 19k since GW17 which represents about half the season so far. Last year from GW13 onwards I've never been outside 14k and from GW22 onwards never outside 5k. After 30 GWs I scored this year 366 (C) pts which is 21.6% of my overall pts. Last year at the same stage I was on 454 (C) pts that represented 30% of my overall pts. I can search for all my mistakes but in my opinion the main difference lies here.

(*) Something like this icon5.png (using http://anewpla.net/fpl/) with each poster adding its own "data line" and so on and on...

boardsie | overall pts | (C) pts | (C) % | (VC) pts | best of (C)/(VC) pts | | bench pts

Boards username
    Total Points for the above Gameweeks
    Total Captain Points
    Total Captain Points as % of Overall Score
    Possible Captain Points if you Always used your Vice-Captain instead
    Possible Total Points if you Always Captained Highest Scorer out of (C) and (VC)
    Total Benched Points for the above Gameweeks

Ziegler1988 | 1792 | 426 | 23.77 | 410 | 1873 || 146

I'm good at picking my (C) and (VC), shame about those 81 points I've left on the table

dahat wrote: »
    Most people eye up women but a fanstay football team, that's a first!

I had a sales rep come into me one time while I had FPL up we didn't end up talking business for a good ten minutes! I don't think he the type to be troubling the leaders boards some of the players he was talking about having in his team were shocking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

boardsie overall pts (C) pts (C) % (VC) pts best of (C)/(VC) pts bench pts
    Swiper 1767 406 22.98% 320 1827 196

Edit: that didn't really work did it:pac:
    Looked fine when I was putting it together:o
    :P ; You forgot the "table" markers at the beginning & end and the | between each column ;).

---

Swiper | 1767 | 406 | 22.98 | 320 | 1827 | | 196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Either I don't pay enough attention to my VC choice, or I've been nailing my choice each week!

AdMMM | 1695 | 372 | 21.95 | 157 | 1743 || 206

AdMMM wrote: »
    Either I don't pay enough attention to my VC choice, or I've been nailing my choice each week!

Anelwa doesn't double the VC points so that's the discrepancy ;)

Im a computer idiot so someone may add in my data
    Boards name Busts
    Total score 1752
    total capt score 324
    Capt % of overall score 18.49%
    Vice capt score 380
    Score if used highest c/vc score 1837
    total benched pts 138

As expected my captaincy score has killed me harry kane in the dgw is the only time since gw 14 my captain has scored a goal. Certainly a case of what might have been there. There is a 432 pt difference between my captain score and the highest captain score I couldve picked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The Unusual Alpaca

Long time reader but new time poster. I've had a disaster of a season in FPL this year, Got my girlfriend who doesn't really like the sport to participate and she's probably going to beat me. New low.

Lost momentum around Christmas and could never win it back. Had too much faith in big name players.

AdMMM wrote: »

Invincible 1687 368 21.81% 159 1734 122

iroced wrote: »

---

G1032 | 1644 | 372 | 22.63 | 372 | 1716 || 151

Ya. Bought Sturridge in the night Giroud was benched and have persisted with him in the hope my mistake would come good in the end. To make matters worse I tried to force this issue my taking a hit to get him out last weekend for Benteke. That cost me a further 10 points.

I did gamble on Yaya in what was another massive recent mistake. A major lesson I'm taking out of those two transfers is the old favourite saying on this forum - 'It's better to be a week late to the party than 3 weeks early'

You say Strurridge is the main reason for the tumble - let's do the maths so.....................

Bought for Giroud in GW25 and used to GW29 inclusive

Sturridge - 22 points
    Giroud - 31 points
    9 point difference

Sturridge sold for Benteke for -4 hit in GW30.
    Benteke 2 points + (-4) = -2 points
    Giroud - 13 points
    15 point difference

It's likely I'd have captained Giroud in GW29 instead of Aguero which would have yielded a further 9 points.

So the transfer that night has cost me 33 points. That's extraordinary and I'd never have thought it was that much.

Couple that with my Yaya in instead of Silva to try to steal a march in GW26
    Yaya 9 points to GW29 + Mane 3 points GW30 = 12 points
    Silva 41 points from GW26 - GW30
    Difference of 29 points

Total loss over 5 weeks because of Sturridge and Yaya = 62 points if my maths are correct or 53 if I still went with Aguero (c) in GW29 since there is no definitive way of knowing for certain if I would have gone with Giroud in the end

53 points!!! Oh my God. This is kind of saddening and depressing when I see it in print like this. :(

According to that anewpla.net I'm 45 points off 25,000 so i guess I'd be somewhere near the top 20,000.

These are the what if's though but they are the decisions I would not put down to bad luck like a 50:50 captain choice. Poor decisions, trying to steal a march, trying to be too clever. Lesson learned the hard way I guess but at least if nothing else it is a lesson learned!

You hit the nail on the head iroced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

CrabieCrawford | 1795 | 440 | 24.51 | 266 | 1828 || 145

• Advertisement

Long time reader but new time poster. I've had a disaster of a season in FPL this year, Got my girlfriend who doesn't really like the sport to participate and she's probably going to beat me. New low.

Lost momentum around Christmas and could never win it back. Had too much faith in big name players.

Lesson learned???!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Suarezistheman | 1686 | 426 | 25.27 | 177 | 1736 || 108/

Interesting enough, my captain choice has worked out very well

boardsie | overall pts | (C) pts | (C) % | (VC) pts | best of (C)/(VC) pts | bench pts
    iroced | 1691 | 366 | 21.64 | 424 | 1782 | 133
    Swiper | 1767 | 406 | 22.98 | 320 | 1827 | 196
    Ziegler1988 | 1792 | 426 | 23.77 | 410 | 1873 | 146
    AdMMM | 1695 | 372 | 21.95 | 157 | 1743 | 206
    CrabieCrawford | 1795 | 440 | 24.51 | 266 | 1828 | 145
    G1032 | 1644 | 372 | 22.63 | 372 | 1716 | 151
    Suarezistheman | 1686 | 426 | 25.27 | 177 | 1736 | 108

Any chance you'd stick Bust's and my figures from above in table too??

boardsie | overall pts | (C) pts | (C) % | (VC) pts | best of (C)/(VC) pts | bench pts
    Iused2likebusts | 1752 | 324 | 18.49 | 380 | 1837 | 138
    Invincible | 1687 | 368 | 21.81 | 159 | 1734 | 122

Invincible wrote: »
    Any chance you'd stick Bust's and my figures from above in table too??

Done!! I just deleted post altogether and added in a new one instead. You and Busts updated now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

This has confirmed busts lamentable captain choices anyway, his captain points % is absolutely miles behind the rest of us.

Remember that you will need to double your vc's total for the purposes of this list, a few haven't by the looks of it.

spock | 1627 | 342 | 21.02 | 372 | 1713 | 206

This has confirmed busts lamentable captain choices anyway, his captain points % is absolutely miles behind the rest of us.

Remember that you will need to double your vc's total for the purposes of this list, a few haven't by the looks of it.

It's a truly outstanding score so far by busts considering his captain choices. Without going into any detail it's highly likely that with a few better picks he'd be right up near the top of the world rankings.

spock | 1627 | 342 | 21.02 | 372 | 1713 | 206
    Chesty08| 1748 | 350 | 20.02 | 232 | 2150 | 104

What am I doing wrong here? My (c) pts as % of Highest Possible (c) pts is 46.54%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Shano88 | 1707 | 332 | 19.45 | 368 | 1789 | 121

Not suprised by my captain %. Most of my choices havent gone well.

Advertisement