Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Official FPL app is free now fyi

Is it any good?

I used Differential FPL this year (great for my points alerts and looking at fixtures) and the free FF Buddy (prefer the interface, better for showing my placings) and plan to do the same next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Is it any good?

I used Differential FPL this year (great for my points alerts and looking at fixtures) and the free FF Buddy (prefer the interface, better for showing my placings) and plan to do the same next year.

It's aight for the min or so I checked it out. Differential is much better in terms of seeing live bonus and scores against rivals. The official will just make it easier to constantly check when my rank updates :pac:

It's aight for the min or so I checked it out. Differential is much better in terms of seeing live bonus and scores against rivals. The official will just make it easier to constantly check when my rank updates :pac:

I know people have complaints about FF Fix, but their live update of ranking is fantastic. Having to wait hours for my official rank is so frustrating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Scott Sinclair has signed for Villa on a permanent deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I could not function without Differential FPL.

I intend to send a feedback email to the lad who does it, he's always replied if I've ever had a problem with the app and I think there are a few things that could be improved which would make it even more of a must have. Updating and notifying you when your OR is updated being one.

FHFC wrote: »
    I could not function without Differential FPL.

I intend to send a feedback email to the lad who does it, he's always replied if I've ever had a problem with the app and I think there are a few things that could be improved which would make it even more of a must have. Updating and notifying you when your OR is updated being one.

And if there's a way to check your overall rank, I can't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

And if there's a way to check your overall rank, I can't find it.

Had never realised it before! I can't find it anywhere either. Must be somewhere surely!!

jimmii wrote: »
    Had never realised it before! I can't find it anywhere either. Must be somewhere surely!!

Nope. That's why I was gonna suggest it for the 2015/16 update.

Nope. That's why I was gonna suggest it for the 2015/16 update.

Strange oversight easy addition to make you would think. I guess it is aiming more at the live game element knowing most people make the big decisions while at a computer and not so much via app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Saw this on the FPL reddit and thought it was worth posting here:

What have you learned from this season that you will try to remember next season?
    Another lesson learnt (although will never be doing it again anyway)....

Getting married mid-season severely damages your OR

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Another lesson learnt (although will never be doing it again anyway)....

Getting married mid-season severely damages your OR

Also starting a business. Thats what I blame for last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Harry Kane is feeling the pressure

https://twitter.com/btsport/status/600981249453264896

Its only tennis players who are good at FPL it seems. Although I seem to remember Crouch doing alright at one point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Colm Parkinson from Off The Ball has said on a few occasions that he is addicted to FPL, he's not doing too badly this year.
    http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/775994/event-history/37/

GAA fans or Off the Ball listeners will recognise some familiar names if you have a look in his leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Colm Parkinson from Off The Ball has said on a few occasions that he is addicted to FPL, he's not doing too badly this year.
    http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/775994/event-history/37/

GAA fans or Off the Ball listeners will recognise some familiar names if you have a look in his leagues.

Pity they are so tight with their league so. I won it one year and got the sum total of sweet fook all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Lads how do bonus points work? Last nights bps were bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Thought my top 1k chances were over having captained Benteke over Aguero the week before, but an 80 pointer has brought me up to 969 :) Just need to hold my rank in the final gameweek!

gimmick wrote: »

It is one of the most annoying things about the game right now that the bonus points rarely go to the players who have made the most telling contribution outside of scoring goals. Bellerin was deserving of bonus last night as he had the clean sheet, made a load of crosses, one of which created a great chance and lots of others that were dangerous, he rarely gave the ball away as his passes seemed to be completed in the most part.
    Now I'm unsure how Kos got more, what he did was adequate but I cant recall him making many tackles or blocks or things which would make him pick up the extra bps.
    The real heroes were obviously on the Sunderland team but at the sametime Arsenal were obviously the best team so deserved the bonus.

Perhaps someone can provide a link or simple explanation of the bonus system, the bonus which accrue from completed passes which top playmakers pile up is a particular bugbear of mine, a safe 5 yard pass needn't be rewarded in any way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Perhaps someone can provide a link or simple explanation of the bonus system, the bonus which accrue from completed passes which top playmakers pile up is a particular bugbear of mine, a safe 5 yard pass needn't be rewarded in any way.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

gimmick wrote: »
    It is one of the most annoying things about the game right now that the bonus points rarely go to the players who have made the most telling contribution outside of scoring goals.
    I said it many times this season but in my opinion (my 5th, well 4th and a half season playing the game) this is by far the best Bonus Points system the game ever had. Last couple of years with the ESPN thing it was a blatant joke. Before the new website, with 3 pundits deciding it (IIRC) it was a farce (we all have examples of players getting BP whatever the result e.g. Charlie Adam). The current system is as transparent as it could be. But you have to take a bit of time to read the rules and find it (no personal dig to anyone intended ;)).

If you watch games or at least follow the season closely enough (this forum, FPL-related websites, games reports, etc..) you should know
    which players are more sensible to get bonus points or not and build your team accordingly. I mean who has ever been surprised that players like Fabregas, Ozil or Silva got their BPs boosted by the 9 pts for >90% pass completion rate? And for yesterday, it was evident that the only Sunderland player who could get Baps was Panti (from his high amount of saves). I mean, for once, we exactly know how players manage to get Bap. I really don't get the complaints (and I'm not directing this at you gimmick & Swiper, I've read a few posters complaining about it in the GW thread...).

Now, you may not 100% agree with the system (e.g. pass completion rate points overboosted vs clearances pts) but we all knew it beforehand. To be honest, I really hope they're gonna keep it (with maybe a few adjustments like the one I've just raised before) for next year and beyond.

=>
    FPL Rules wrote:
    How is the BPS score calculated?

Players score BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):

Playing 1 to 60 minutes 3
    Playing over 60 minutes 6
    Goalkeepers and defenders scoring a goal 12
    Midifielders scoring a goal 18
    Forwards scoring a goal 24
    Assists 9
    Goalkeepers and defenders keeping a clean sheet 12
    Saving a penalty 15
    Save 1
    Open play cross 1
    Creating a big chance (a chance where the receiving player should score) 3
    For every 3 clearances, blocks and interceptions (total) 1
    For every 3 recoveries 1
    Key pass 1
    Successful tackle (net*) 1
    Successful dribble 1
    Scoring the goal that wins a match 3
    70 to 79% pass completion (at least 30 passes made) 3
    80 to 89% pass completion (at least 30 passes made) 6
    90%+ pass completion (at least 30 passes made) 9
    Conceding a penalty -3
    Missing a penalty -6
    Yellow card -3
    Red card -9
    Own goal -6
    Missing a big chance -3
    Making an error which leads to a goal -3
    Making an error which leads to an attempt at goal -1
    Being tackled -1
    Conceding a foul -1
    Being caught offside -1
    Shot off target -1

*Net successful tackles is the total of all successful tackles minus any unsuccessful tackles. Players will not be awarded negative BPS points for this statistic.

Data is supplied by Opta and once it has been marked as final will not be changed. We will not enter into discussion around any of the statistics used to calculate this score for any individual match.

• Advertisement

No problem or offence taken iroced, it'd be ideal if the best and most influential players took the bonus but I realise that unless there are completely impartial adjudicators operating this system it is impossible.
    The system is there in black and white so no complaints, an ideal world is an impossible situation and it would involve a change in the assist rulings also in my opinion, if somebody can rule in the
    Creating a big chance (a chance where the receiving player should score) 3
    Missing a big chance -3
    Making an error which leads to a goal -3
    Making an error which leads to an attempt at goal -1
    then it could be applied to whether an assist is deserved or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I think 9 BPS for 90% pass completion is too much when you consider the type of passes Kos and Mert make. I'd like to see sideways or backwards passes downweighted since PVA was attempting long balls or cross field and of course he won't complete as many of those. It is transparent though and we all knew after 5 GWs or so the bap whores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

iroced wrote: »
    I said it many times this season but in my opinion (my 5th, well 4th and a half season playing the game) this is by far the best Bonus Points system the game ever had. Last couple of years with the ESPN thing it was a blatant joke. Before the new website, with 3 pundits deciding it (IIRC) it was a farce (we all have examples of players getting BP whatever the result e.g. Charlie Adam). The current system is as transparent as it could be. But you have to take a bit of time to read the rules and find it (no personal dig to anyone intended ;)).

If you watch games or at least follow the season closely enough (this forum, FPL-related websites, games reports, etc..) you should know
    which players are more sensible to get bonus points or not and build your team accordingly. I mean who has ever been surprised that players like Fabregas, Ozil or Silva got their BPs boosted by the 9 pts for >90% pass completion rate? And for yesterday, it was evident that the only Sunderland player who could get Baps was Panti (from his high amount of saves). I mean, for once, we exactly know how players manage to get Bap. I really don't get the complaints (and I'm not directing this at you gimmick & Swiper, I've read a few posters complaining about it in the GW thread...).

Now, you may not 100% agree with the system (e.g. pass completion rate points overboosted vs clearances pts) but we all knew it beforehand. To be honest, I really hope they're gonna keep it (with maybe a few adjustments like the one I've just raised before) for next year and beyond.

=>

I think there was only one poster surprised (didn't know) by the bonus points.
    I certainly wasn't surprised but that doesn't change the fact that I think this situation is a joke.
    Yip, it's the best bonus point system I've seen but this aspect is as bad as any that has gone before.

PARlance wrote: »
    I certainly wasn't surprised but that doesn't change the fact that I think this situation is a joke.
    Yip, it's the best bonus point system I've seen but this aspect is as bad as any that has gone before.

Me???
    I was aware of the system loosely but never bothered to study it, I've benefitted quite often from the system like everybody else but I've been disappointed a few times also.
    I agree about sideways and backward easy passes, you're being rewarded in this system by passing the buck, though that's a part of the game.

Me???
    I was aware of the system loosely but never bothered to study it, I've benefitted quite often from the system like everybody else but I've been disappointed a few times also.
    I agree about sideways and backward easy passes, you're being rewarded in this system by passing the buck, though that's a part of the game.
    No no it wasn't you Swiper. Like PARlance I didn't know either this poster.
    PARlance wrote: »
    But, pardon my insistence but what exactly is a joke? The whole system? Some aspects of it like the overweighted pass completion rate we've been discussing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

iroced wrote: »
    No no it wasn't you Swiper. Like PARlance I didn't know either this poster.

But, pardon my insistence but what exactly is a joke? The whole system? Some aspects of it like the overweighted pass completion rate we've been discussing ?

The system is the best I've seen, the awarding of bonus points to defenders like last night is a joke imo. It's still the best system I've seen but there is still a tweak or two needed Imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

My last three year's rankings are:

1. 2011/2012 - 35640
    2. 2012/2013 - 36026
    3. 2013/2014 - 35458
    With one gameweek to go I'm currently sitting around the 39,000 mark.

Am I the most consistently average player in the world? :pac:

Easy Rod wrote: »
    My last three year's rankings are:

1. 2011/2012 - 35640
    2. 2012/2013 - 36026
    3. 2013/2014 - 35458
    With one gameweek to go I'm currently sitting around the 39,000 mark.

Am I the most consistently average player in the world? :pac:

I can't believe anyone has had that little variance in finishing position over the last 4 years thats unreal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

jimmii wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone has had that little variance in finishing position over the last 4 years thats unreal!!

Yep, pretty bizarre alright! If I finish within 500 places again this year I think I'll retire out of respect for probability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That's well above average. The standard on this form, it bears repeating, is very high.

• Advertisement

I've noticed people mentioning various apps etc on a number of the threads. I have a FFFIX account but I never use it, I'm not familiar with the others that are mentioned.
    Question, which is the single most useful resource that ye use regularly? For me it is the good old Frisking the fixtures on FFS, besides this forum it's the only thing that I ever check out regularly, probably don't even need to as the information it provides is readily available here but it helps to gather my thoughts re my plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

I've noticed people mentioning various apps etc on a number of the threads. I have a FFFIX account but I never use it, I'm not familiar with the others that are mentioned.
    Question, which is the single most useful resource that ye use regularly? For me it is the good old Frisking the fixtures on FFS, besides this forum it's the only thing that I ever check out regularly, probably don't even need to as the information it provides is readily available here but it helps to gather my thoughts re my plans.

FSA forum on Boards.ie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

G1032 wrote: »
    FSA forum on Boards.ie!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

My current position in my pay league is 3rd, 27 points behind 1st and 25 points behind second I'm also 47 points ahead of 4th (top 4 being paid). I'm going to gamble as I'm pretty sure I can't be caught. is there anyway I can see what my rivals are up to re transfer wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

patmac wrote: »
    My current position in my pay league is 3rd, 27 points behind 1st and 25 points behind second I'm also 47 points ahead of 4th (top 4 being paid). I'm going to gamble as I'm pretty sure I can't be caught. is there anyway I can see what my rivals are up to re transfer wise?

You can only see how many transfer they made (if any).

Having any more information would be unfair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

patmac wrote: »

Not unless you now the prices of the players at the time they purchased them.
    You would also need to now their team value before and after transfers.

A bunny boiler type attitude from the start of the season would also net said info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I found the fpl wizard app very good for my defensive rotations. Saved me a lot of time as it used to be a good old paper and pen system I used to adopt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

wonski wrote: »

I'm glad as that seems a lot fairer thanks.

wonski wrote: »

You can work it out, but you have to be very very sad and obsessive. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Where's the GW39 transfers thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

qwabercd wrote: »
    Where's the GW39 transfers thread?

Sepp Blatter is currently working on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

Just wondering. For those of you that have access to the UK press, have the Newcastle fans had a change of heart about Pardew? They drove him out. Do they realize their mistake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/2161302/event-history/38/

My season long no transfers, no changes team that ended up respectably inside the top 250k OR

Big Borg wrote: »
    Just wondering. For those of you that have access to the UK press, have the Newcastle fans had a change of heart about Pardew? They drove him out. Do they realize their mistake?

There's a long-running thread on the soccer forum here about it. My impression is that most are glad he's gone, regardless of results, and his good start at Palace is not indicative of his longterm effectiveness.

KevIRL wrote: »
    http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/2161302/event-history/38/

My season long no transfers, no changes team that ended up respectably inside the top 250k OR
    Impressive to also end the season with a total team value of £102.3m!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

There's a long-running thread on the soccer forum here about it. My impression is that most are glad he's gone, regardless of results, and his good start at Palace is not indicative of his longterm effectiveness.

Thanks. I'll look for the thread. The Newcastle fans seen to be daft.

How messed up is it that I'm looking forward to picking next seasons gw1 team already.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

How messed up is it that I'm looking forward to picking next seasons gw1 team already.....

Something magical about the first gameweek!
    Plenty of permutations to mull over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Woke up this morning and automatically reached for the phone to see what price changes there were!

Game opening day is awesome. Its like Christmas morning opening all those new prices and players. Love it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement