Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish banks need to learn communications skills

Options
  • 17-07-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

While I seldom have to deal with Irish banks, whenever one does, one comes across glitches in their customer interfaces.

Eg If one receives a letter from an AIB branch with a signature and name on the letter, and one wishes to call them using the phone number shown on their letter to discuss the matter, one invariably ends up in a badly designed voicemail jail system, press 1 for this 2 for that. No provision to speak with the person concerned. Nobody gives their direct dial number* and they do not give their telephone extension number on the letter.

Call the number on the letter, and a “welcome to AIB” recorded voice message followed by a series of template prompts. It would be a simple matter to add “press 7 if you know the extension number you require”, followed by an invitation to enter the extension number.

Similar communications illiteracy arises in bank online systems. I got an “error message” with no error message number or reason for the error when trying to attach a Visa payment card to a current account online banking set-up. (Lazy thoughtless system design). So I called their 24 hour number and option 1 was “online and telephone banking support”. So I tried that. The voice prompt then told me my account balance, and invited me to press 2 to apply for a loan etc. A load of things I had no interest in. These are not “SUPPORT” issues. These are online and telephone banking *service* issues. “Support” in my books is if one has a problem with their badly designed “systems”, etc.

While one appreciates that they need to save costs etc, the banks are increasing costs for themselves, and wasting time and money for their customers by making their “systems” so difficult to penetrate. And no doubt increasing customer infuriation and hatred of Irish banks in the process.

While in Ireland on a recent long weekend, I visited a large Bank of Ireland branch. There were counters for “foreign exchange and cash”. And automated machines. And a big “staff only” sign. (as in go away). And nothing else. No marked customer service desk. Where is one expected to go for “everything else”? eg open a new account, get a cheque book, whatever.

Why is the banking system so unapproachable and messed up? Perhaps the Irish customer is too polite and is prepared to put up with rubbish service, from their banks and other businesses?

*Irish companies are among the worst in the world in my books for publishing direct dial numbers. Everybody seems to want to hide behind their “switchboard operator”. Even though most companies do not have a switchboard operator anymore. On the continent, almost all companies have a policy of showing the direct dial number on correspondence and advertising.

And the best organised companies provide a reference number as well, which one might be prompted to enter into the telephone keypad, so that the answering agent knows exactly why you are calling and which document is relevant to your issue. Sometimes the reference number is shown in an advertisement or website, and provides an advertising performance metric to the company in terms of cost per customer acquired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Reasonable Person

Well I have had a lesser experience in unapproachable from banks-you might think lucky me! Not the case. Got a call for them (the bank) reminding me that my car loan repayments were due to end shortly-nice-and said I was approved for another loan when I needed to buy a new car. They said they would follow up with a call. Got a call at about 7.40pm from their 'customer service' person who proceeded to talk about the letter and how the bank would be available to offer me finance on a car again. I asked when the last payment for the car was due and that person was unable to confirm. Then I was put on hold for some time as they needed to confirm! (LOL customer service!)

Once they came back on the phone I asked again what the date of the last payment was going to be so I could perhaps make an informed decision on whether I might like to change the car. The person informed me that they could not give me that information without providing me with a full address! Am I am all into security but they phoned me and referred me to a letter they had sent me. I was quite annoyed by this and said so. I have reviewed previous board messages re this bank and agree their customer service makes you agitated but sure most customer services in these types of state run institutions are probably more of the same.

I also had a previous incident relating to PPI where customer service in the same bank was unable to tell me what PPI I was charged over a number of years. If you have been charged for a service incorrectly or otherwise, are you not entitled to know what you are being charged for? I called again with this premise and guess what the next customer service person gave me the details! I got a PPI refund eventually but felt that it's so dependant on whether you get the right person who understands what customer service means to the customer on the other end of the phone-THE CUSTOMER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I include my direct dial number on all correspondence. Always have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Reasonable Person

Not sure how this contributes to the thread nigbbbith…am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Well I have had a lesser experience in unapproachable from banks-you might think lucky me! Not the case. Got a call for them (the bank) reminding me that my car loan repayments were due to end shortly-nice-and said I was approved for another loan when I needed to buy a new car. They said they would follow up with a call. Got a call at about 7.40pm from their 'customer service' person who proceeded to talk about the letter and how the bank would be available to offer me finance on a car again. I asked when the last payment for the car was due and that person was unable to confirm. Then I was put on hold for some time as they needed to confirm! (LOL customer service!)

Once they came back on the phone I asked again what the date of the last payment was going to be so I could perhaps make an informed decision on whether I might like to change the car. The person informed me that they could not give me that information without providing me with a full address! Am I am all into security but they phoned me and referred me to a letter they had sent me. I was quite annoyed by this and said so. I have reviewed previous board messages re this bank and agree their customer service makes you agitated but sure most customer services in these types of state run institutions are probably more of the same.

I also had a previous incident relating to PPI where customer service in the same bank was unable to tell me what PPI I was charged over a number of years. If you have been charged for a service incorrectly or otherwise, are you not entitled to know what you are being charged for? I called again with this premise and guess what the next customer service person gave me the details! I got a PPI refund eventually but felt that it's so dependant on whether you get the right person who understands what customer service means to the customer on the other end of the phone-THE CUSTOMER!

Your experience is essentially a "them driven" (ie the banks) functionality. And they were selling product to you. And it does point to the paucity of information they provide their staff about your account, which is pretty basic stuff - reflecting poor management in the IT design process at the bank. And they were essentially calling you without being prepared to answer your questions - which is against the basic Bi Ullamh philosophy. And Irish banks ID confirmation stinks too. I live on the continent, and if I call them (an Irish bank) they often ask for my address. I roll off the basic address without the postcode - which should be enough to indicate to them that the caller knows the address. But no, every time they want the postcode too - as if not stating the postcode is somehow "suspicious". You never come across that moronic stupidity at a bank or other company on the continent.

Is it any wonder that they lost the run of themselves during the "celtic tiger" era - they were clearly unable to use big data to develop an intelligent big picture of the risks they were opening everybody up to.

What I am really getting at I suppose is their ability to design branches and phone services etc to respond in a refreshingly intelligent manner when YOU, when you call or visit.

An example from a different industry - Starbucks is bringing out a new app. They make horrible coffee in my books but they are good at technology (in the US stores anyway). A customer ordering their coffee etc using the app, has the purchase charged to their registered payment card. As the customer approaches the store, the central computer (big data system) works out the precise time when the coffee should be poured - having regard to production delays in the store concerned. When you walk in the door, your order is put on the collection shelf with your name on it. You just take it and walk away or over to a table. No payment delay. No waiting for your coffee. That is refreshing technology use in my books.

Another example that occurs to me. If a bank calls you on your phone and you miss the call, if you call them back using the caller ID left by the bank, you hear a recorded voice announcement ("ABC Bank tried to call you. You don't need to do anything now - we will call again"). If they want to hide their caller ID - they still can show a number, but when you call the number you hear a fake tone - eg a busy tone.

This event (you calling back) could trigger an urgent re-scheduling of the outbound call from the bank, because they know you are now close to your phone etc. Maximizing efficiency for both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I include my direct dial number on all correspondence. Always have done.

I only wish everybody did it - it would save a lot of time and money, and provide a better customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Not sure how this contributes to the thread nigbbbith…am I missing something?

Have worked in Irish banking for 20 years. I include a direct dial number and an ink signature on all outgoing correspondence.

Advertisement