Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sligo Rovers beat Rosenborg in Norway in Europa League qualifier.

• 17-07-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Sligo Rovers win away to Rosenborg is a notable win for a club from our country and I believe deserving of a thread in it's own right for what is an impressive win by an Irish club.

Loads of people like to bash the League of Ireland. It's not a night to get into that. I imagine all supporters of the game of association football in Ireland are impressed by a notable win. In Rugby Union we've seen Ireland's provinces represent our country in a European competition. It's great to see that a soccer team from our country can achieve such a win.

Congratulations Sligo Rovers! Take a bow and savour the moment. European competitions are like a league of Goliath's. It's great to see David claim a notable scalp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Great result as was St Pat's last night.
    The move to a summer league has really helped Irish clubs.
    Rosenborg are a big scalp for an Irish club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

As a Drogheda Utd fan I love seeing any LOI club do well in european competition, and I remember all the well wishes from the Bohs fans when the club used their ground for their home leg against Dynamo Kiev especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

As a Drogheda Utd fan I love seeing any LOI club do well in european competition, and I remember all the well wishes from the Bohs fans when the club used their ground for their home leg against Dynamo Kiev especially.

Proud to be a sligo man tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sligo Rovers win away to Rosenborg is a notable win for a club from our country and I believe deserving of a thread in it's own right for what is an impressive win by an Irish club.

Loads of people like to bash the League of Ireland. It's not a night to get into that. I imagine all supporters of the game of association football in Ireland are impressed by a notable win. In Rugby Union we've seen Ireland's provinces represent our country in a European competition. It's great to see that a soccer team from our country can achieve such a win.

Congratulations Sligo Rovers! Take a bow and savour the moment. European competitions are like a league of Goliath's. It's great to see David claim a notable scalp.

Fantastic result for both Rovers and the league of Ireland, but its still only half time, alot of work to do back at The Showgrounds next week. Thankfully the players have a week off to recuperate, and prepare. Will be looking closely at next weeks draw to see who we could potentially get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

How did we...
    But they are...
    I don't even...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Hardly worth a thread but still a fine achievement. Would be remembered for a long time if it they finished the job and got through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Well done Sligo on an extraordinary result, if our National Team beat Norway in Oslo if would be seen as an outstanding result. Fantastic three weeks in Europe so far for Irish soccer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

So I think it's fair to say that UCD are 2 goals better than Rosenborg after last Sunday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Was watching the match - Sligo played much the better as well especially considering they had a few players missing. They had to beat Lithuaniain opposition to met Rosenborg.

Gamboa who played all of Costa Ricas games in the WC should be back for the second leg in Sligo.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Hardly worth a thread but still a fine achievement. Would be remembered for a long time if it they finished the job and got through.

Of course its worth a thread. Looking at the other results we be the only irish side through to the next round of the EL. Fantastic result not just for the West/NorthWest, but also for the LOI.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Great result as was St Pat's last night.
    The move to a summer league has really helped Irish clubs.
    Rosenborg are a big scalp for an Irish club.

No team won a game in Europe last season! 1 Draw 7 Losses

Sligo take a bow, what a win

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

No team won a game in Europe last season! 1 Draw 7 Losses

Sligo take a bow, what a win
    Last year was a blip in what has been a fairly successful decade for the LOI in Europe it has to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

"Alfa wrote:
    if our National Team beat Norway in Oslo if would be seen as an outstanding result.
    Hardly. Norway haven't qualified for a tournament in 14 years.

Fantastic win for Sligo regardless. LOI football is improving, it's slow but it's evident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Great night band well done the Bit o Red

Results over the last 2 nights are clear evidence of the excellent job being done by the FAI and John Delaney in particular.

(Turn on the sarcasm detector)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sheepy99 wrote: »

Theres always one.

Well done Sligo from a GUFC fan. Hope ye finish the job next week.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Of course its worth a thread. Looking at the other results we be the only irish side through to the next round of the EL. Fantastic result not just for the West/NorthWest, but also for the LOI.

Better shut down the LOI in europe thread so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

great result for Sligo - fantastic result & well worth a thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If a Liverpool pre-season friendly is worth a thread then this definitely is. Fantastic result for Sligo and the league, it will be a tough task holding on back in the Showgrounds but hopefully they can do it. Unfortunately I have lost a bit of my interest in the league of Ireland in the past few years, but I love when this stage of the year comes around and (usually) all the fans from different clubs put aside their differences and support all the Irish teams in Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Even Rovers beat Sligo at home and Rovers can't beat anyone at home..

Honestly, it's not over yet, there's no scalp yet until they are through. Rosenborg might wake up to the challenge in front of them and win the tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

dfx- wrote: »

Honestly, it's not over yet, there's no scalp yet until they are through. Rosenborg might wake up to the challenge in front of them and win the tie.
    Maybe.
    Yes it could well end up that Rovers get well beat next week but live for the moment thats in it.Celebrate a decent win for the LOI and be happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Winning a game in Europe is worth a thread. We never win in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

AgileMyth wrote: »

This is boards.ie Sunderland ffs get a huge amount of threads and some dude looking for a german jersey get a thread.

But fcuk off with your Sligo win in Europe thread......will never change

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Well this is fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Great result Sligo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

It was a great win and one to savour. No harm in enjoying the moment. Our international team rarely claim a notable win away from home. It's a rather impressive achievement for an Irish association football club to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Great result. Delighted for them. Hope they finish the job.

Out of interest if they did make the groups can they play their games in Sligo?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Rosenborg supporters are distraught over this result and they reckon the team is all but out of the EL qualifiers. They are calling, en masse, for the firing of the manager Per (Perry) Joar Hansen and Club Director Erik Hoftun.
    http://www.rbk.no/latest-news/article/gyhggvyarpfo1ksh79ydtjmaa/title/skapte-seg-vanskelig-utgangspunkt-mot-sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Brilliant result for Sligo! Be some return game up in the showgrounds next thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

dreamers75 wrote: »
    This is boards.ie Sunderland ffs get a huge amount of threads and some dude looking for a german jersey get a thread.

It's only one person. Stop making out like you're being persecuted.

• Advertisement

Maybe its Europe we are concentrating on this season.

iDave wrote: »
    Great result. Delighted for them. Hope they finish the job.

Woah, one round at a time.

:D

I'd imagine though they would be allowed to install a temporary stand at the Old Shed End, like they did for last seasons CL to allow games to be played there.

Actually you can remove the 'in Europe' and its still accurate.

iDave wrote: »
    We'll just build a new stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Where would the games be played if Rovers went further on in the competition to face a bigger clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

dfx- wrote: »

WHAT????? WE BEAT OURSELVES???? rolleyes.png

I think we need to start a thread about teams that have beaten themselves pacman.gif

Well done The bit o' red, roll on next week, hopefully we can finish the job but it's gonna be tough.

• Advertisement

Where would the games be played if Rovers went further on in the competition to face a bigger clubs?
    We're good for a couple more rounds at home I think. We've worked really hard to avoid moving games in recent years. Something im immensely proud of my club for. Improving infrastructure when the going is good will stand to us for years to come.

We're also undefeated in the Aviva. Might have to play for penalties though.

We're good for a couple more rounds at home I think. We've worked really hard to avoid moving games in recent years. Something im immensely proud of my club for. Improving infrastructure when the going is good will stand to us for years to come.

We're also undefeated in the Aviva. Might have to play for penalties though.

Whats our Staduim Catergory with/without the temporary stand at the old shed end. That will determine up untill what rounds our games can be played in the Showgrounds.

Whilst I would rather not games be played in Tallaght, I can imagine thats where we could end up. Any thoughts about The Brandywell or Thomond Park.

PS. We got Kardemir Karabükspor should we progress to the 3rd Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

We'll just build a new stadium.

yea,:D sur we can tap Michael Ring up for a few pound too;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Whats our Staduim Catergory with/without the temporary stand at the old shed end. That will determine up untill what rounds our games can be played in the Showgrounds.

Whilst I would rather not games be played in Tallaght, I can imagine thats where we could end up.

Doubt if Tallaght would be available, Rovers had to install a temporary stand to be able to use it in Europa league, As the stadium stands normally it wouldn't be up to standard without the same upgrade and I couldn't see it being worth Sligo's while to pay to put temporary stand in Tallaght to play there. They'd be better off putting the cash into their own ground

21/25

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rosenborg used be in the Champions League groups nearly every year a while back. Have they gone to crap?

• Advertisement

Whilst I would rather not games be played in Tallaght, I can imagine thats where we could end up. Any thoughts about The Brandywell or Thomond Park.

Brandywells nowhere near the standard id have thought. If it had to be moved and we could get Thomond id prefer that to Dublin.

KK qualified by virtue of their rivals being banned i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

excellent result and its been a really brilliant european campaign so far.

need to build on this however and keep progressing.

Rosenborg used be in the Champions League groups nearly every year a while back. Have they gone to crap?

Lost to St Johnson last year as well around this stage. But yes, they had been used to playing CL up to a few seasons ago.

Was trying to find a link on the prize money for this stage of the Tournament. Looking at present form, its unlikely we will be in europe next season, unless we actually win europe :D so any prize money is going to have to last us almost two years.

People give out about too much money in football, my self included, but unfortunately like everything else, its a business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Last made the Europa League group stages 2 seasons ago but yes sadly they are not the side they once were,

Still a massive result for Irish Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Why on earth would Thomond even come into consideration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Limerick FC (an Irish team) play there. It isn't much further to Thomond than it is to Tallaght so why wouldn't it come into consideration?

To echo what Oats already said, because its one of the top none national staduims used for soccer in this country, and is only a few hours from Sligo, and would probably already meet UEFA requirements for at least the group stages if not beyond. It would probably also suit the size of our fan base, plus any other fans/followers, and dare I say, sunshiners/barstoolers who wanted to go along who wanted to go.

The Showgrounds would need quite a bit of work to meet requirements for the groups, between a tempory stand, improved corporate and media facilities, etc etc, and as already discovered so would Tallaght need additional requirements, and personally would rather not play our games there. Lansdowne Rd would also be a none runner for me, as the staduim would be too big for the groups based on our fan based, even taking into account the interest in recent FAI Cup finals, the games would be played in a less than half full stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

It was a night to savour but I'm not looking beyond the second leg.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Quit your cribbing will ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I had to do a double take when I saw the result in the paper. Well done to Sligo, if I'm not mistaken Rosenborg have been in the CL group stages in recent times so it's no mean feat. Fantastic stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement