Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shelbourne

Options
  • 17-07-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

Anybody watching?

I'm waiting to find out about the man who lived there - there was an article about him in the Irish Mail on Sunday a few years back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I watched it ... I enjoyed it , working in the kitchen looks like very hard work !! The rooms are so expensive :0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭munster87

Half watching it now on RTE +1. Some man that head doorman! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Anyone catch this?

Think it was first of a 3 or 4 part series. Wasn't overly impressed - the staff seem completely self absorbed and self obsessed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Yeah I watched it! Was shocked when I saw the Concierge telling two tourists who were looking for Trinity College, to get a taxi across to it! F*** sake all he had to say was just walk around the corner & it'll be straight in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

It was somewhat interesting, but a bit like a 30 min promo for the hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭brian_t

Anyone catch this?

Think it was first of a 3 or 4 part series.

They are actually getting 6 episodes out of it.

I thought it was on a par with similar series on the BBC or ITV but I can't see myself watching all six.

brian_t wrote: »
    They are actually getting 6 episodes out of it.

I thought it was on a par with similar series on the BBC or ITV but I can't see myself watching all six.

There's only so much sh*te they can talk about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,425 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It should have been on for an hour with just 2 or 3 episodes, too short to have over half an hour including ads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

While the staff were nice, I didn't like the part re michael flatley (not his fault) In my opinion, the sign of first class service is when all guests feel that they are getting first class treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

honeybear wrote: »
    While the staff were nice, I didn't like the part re michael flatley (not his fault) In my opinion, the sign of first class service is when all guests feel that they are getting first class treatment.

Agreed!
    I cringed when the guy said they rate guests on their status and that their rating determines the level of care they should receive. Top tier of course was occupied by politicians and actors. If he said people renting the most expensive rooms got the most pampering it would've been bad enough but saying it's status was really poor show I thought.

Overall I found it very disappointing. It's a hotel I'd love to have stayed in once to get some 5 star action but being a level one guest doesn't really appeal at those prices.

• Advertisement

My missus brother is getting married there next month- they're mostly working class boisterous gargle monsters.

Will be interesting to see how it goes in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Agreed!
    I cringed when the guy said they rate guests on their status and that their rating determines the level of care they should receive.

Same as every major hotel in the world..

I'll be sure to piss on the floor and ****e in the urinal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Oooh I am enjoying this programme!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think it is a car-crash, a PR disaster for the hotel.

There is a clear message that, because I am not a celebrity, my money is not good enough to get me their full commitment. With rack rates of €400+ per night, I don't think that less than 100% commitment is enough.

There is a clear message that, because I am not a celebrity, my money is not good enough to get me their full commitment. With rack rates of €400+ per night, I don't think that less than 100% commitment is enough.

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Agreed. If there's no chance of me getting the special VIP bath mat (:confused:), I'm just not interested.

Pass me the sick bucket

This is ****ing horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Grrrr how did I miss this thread?!

I LoooooOOOOOVVVVEDDDD IT!!!!

amdublin wrote: »
    Grrrr how did I miss this thread?!

I LoooooOOOOOVVVVEDDDD IT!!!!

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Yup! I did.

Over on the twitter machine they seem to have loved it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Oh my god I hated it, it would certainly put me off stopping in for a bite to eat or a pint!

Just goes to show how management do sweet f*ck all and get paid a fortune where as the actual hard workers (cleaners, kitchen porters, pot scrubbers, waiting staff etc) not only get minimal pay but also don't even get shown on camera. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I only saw bits here and there, but that was the impression I got also.
    There was a clip where they were preparing a room for Michael Flatley, and some kind of tray of goodies was being put in the room, but it wasn't deemed good enough by one of the senior managers because it was for a celebrity, and had to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Watched this last night (this episode hasn't changed my initial opinion-it comes across as a pretentious hotel-hardworking & happy staff though). Did anyone think they saw someone who looked like Mary Hanafin chatting at the bar? Can't check it on RTE player. Could be wrong-a lot of people look like her!

Was in the Shelbourne yesterday. Wow there is a lot going on in there. It's like a bus station. Personally I think the check in area is a bit too flashy. Very Vegas style IMO

Where is the check in??

Any sign of the hawt manager?! :pac:

Where is the check in??

Check in is off to the right at the back of lobby

No sign of the manager and would we say he is hawt?!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Where is the check in??

Just going by your recent posts...you sure you're watching the same show as everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Was in the Shelbourne yesterday. Wow there is a lot going on in there. ...IMO
    There has been a lot going on; from yesterday's paper: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/shelbourne-hotel-acquired-by-us-property-investment-group-1.1884964.

I wonder what the new owners think of the PR value of the television programme.

• Advertisement

What purpose does the fat lad serve in reception, other than patting himself on the back?

Advertisement