Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shelbourne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

What purpose does the fat lad serve in reception, other than patting himself on the back?

He's the concierge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

He's the concierge

Don't they have to be......mobile?

He just...... sits there

Don't they have to be......mobile?

He just...... sits there

Nah they pretty much sit at their desk and answer questions and make reservations etc

Nah they pretty much sit at their desk and answer questions and make reservations etc

I wouldn't be enamoured with any of the staff to be honest. All seem pretentious and uppity, particularly the HR woman.

If she was chocolate she'd eat herself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I'm waiting to find out about the man who lived there - there was an article about him in the Irish Mail on Sunday a few years back.
    Are you talking about John Galvin who lived there with his family? He had a whole floor to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

smurfjed wrote: »
    Are you talking about John Galvin who lived there with his family? He had a whole floor to himself.

Cant remember his name but according to the paper he was came from an extremely wealthy family (American maybe). The paper were guessing where he would go when the Shelbourne was being refurbished. Is he still living in the hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

What purpose does the fat lad serve in reception, other than patting himself on the back?

Directing tourists to take a taxi to Trinity College. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Really pisses me of with all this fawing over people they call vip, nobody is a vip, everybody is a human and equal in my opinion.

Yea right, so i go to the hotel and stay in a 1500 euro suite and you stay in a 150 euro room, you expect us to be treated the same way? Sorry but my business is worth more to the hotel than yours, therefore they must make the effort to keep me going there.
    Same logic applies to any business.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

But it does seem they serve an excellent serve to everyone.
    And that for the 1500'ers they raise that excellent standard even higher.

The staff all seem excellent from the program. They must be all very proud watching it.

Those handmade Easter eggs! Wow!!!

• Advertisement

You have to ask yourself what sort've gob****es would fork out that much wonga to stay in an expensive kip like that

Probably the same type of gob****es that has risen to a level in a company that entitles them to first class hotel suites and first class air travel :)

You have to ask yourself what sort've gob****es would fork out that much wonga to stay in an expensive kip like that

:confused:
    It looks like far from a "kip" to me.

Mod:
    Please lay off the personal abuse/personal criticisms of the staff who work there and the customers

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Pass me the sick bucket

This is ****ing horrendous

This. How much would this hotel be paying for a little pr stunt like this? Can't believe they managed to make 6 eps out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CelticCub

I thought it was a pretty poor decision by a leading hotel to do a 'reality' style TV show and I think it has proved to be. I doubt their business will suffer much however. Always curious why they feel they can stop traffic on the Green just to do PR shoots etc...I know if they tried to stop me they would get a blast of the horn and by driven past or why the double yellow lines outside the hotel don't seem to be enforced and guests are allowed park and be dropped off there?

I know the mod said not to criticise staff members but the last episode where the guy said 'when girls ask me what I do I tell them I make dreams come through'.....pass me that puke bucket when your finished with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Of the many lame moments so far, the worst has to be stopping the traffic to let some rugby fans cross the road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The guy with the glasses (customer relations manager?), impresses me the least (and that's all I'll say on that).

I think the genuine management do a terrific job in fairness. This is reflected in the standard of the hotel and the reputation it achieves. I think the kitchen staff are by far the most impressive and come across as having the least ego.

On the VIP side, a few key names bring in far more general punters than a hotel full of other randomers. So it's easy to see why they get treated so well when they add some notoriety to the hotel. Although I lol'd at the GM saying leave the nice book in Omar Sharif's room, but just don't let him keep it. Really, on camera??

I've always thought it would be very nice to spend a night there, but after watching the promo show, I'd feel a bit ripped off for spending that kind of money to be just another head-in-the-bed. Maybe afternoon tea beside some genuine rich folk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

vidor wrote: »
    Of the many lame moments so far, the worst has to be stopping the traffic to let some rugby fans cross the road.

Or the Voiceover speaking of "omelette Arno Benét" like it was French when it's "omelette Arnold Bennett" after the English bloke it's named for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's all so soft, safe and bland

Years ago the Adelphi in Liverpool did a similar show and they showed what realy goes on in hotels which is extreme stress and shouting matches.

The Shelbourne don't want this and that's fine. I'm get the feeling I'm watching a PR job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What was the one for the main hotel in London on the BBC a year or two ago? Name is on the tip of my tongue...

Saudi Royals would book and they'd get the builders in beforehand to rip out walls and install private kitchens and mini pools etc, bills for the stay used to be 6 figures...

Thargor wrote: »
    What was the one for the main hotel in London on the BBC a year or two ago? Name is on the tip of my tongue...

Saudi Royals would book and they'd get the builders in beforehand to rip out walls and install private kitchens and mini pools etc, bills for the stay used to be 6 figures...

Claridges?

Oh yes.

Did they keep stuff in storage for one particular guest who came once a year for a week?

Was it their wardrobe/clothes or something??

Did they keep stuff in storage for one particular guest who came once a year for a week?
    I've seen colleagues do that with booze, as soon as they check into a hotel they ask for the bottles that they left behind on their last trip. Strangely enough they are still there waiting for them.

Oooh great we are going to see a wedding in the Shelbourne!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I wish I had seen more of the wedding! I had my own wedding there in 1988 and to be honest it was nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe we weren't the top class of guest I heard about a few weeks ago!

Were the cigars not cut already? No cutters were needed??

I am not mad about the weird vase with three bouquets sticking out of it

Jaysis how much did that suite and all those roses cost Mr Stewart?!!!!!

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    I am not mad about the weird vase with three bouquets sticking out of it

Not a fan either

Advertisement