Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to study on a Sunday

Options
  • 17-07-2014 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does anybody know a place where you can go and just sit and study on Sundays? There's not one library that I can find in either Kildare or Dublin that opens. I need to find somewhere because it's just not possible to do it in my fairly small house with a fairly big family!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Have you got a car. Head to the Curragh and park up on the grass. Perfect isolation with newbridge only 5 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jamies15

ken wrote: »
    Have you got a car. Head to the Curragh and park up on the grass. Perfect isolation with newbridge only 5 mins away.

Nope, no car unfortunately!

Can you narrow it down a bit to the town you live in or are near.

Can you narrow it down a bit to the town you live in or are near.

I'm in Newbridge but I can get lifts/buses to wherever. Just somewhere decent and quiet to study. I know it's fairly unlikely when you rule out librarys

There is tables and benches down by the river. There'd be kids playing around the area but it'll be outdoor noise as apposed to indoor. Of course you need good weather for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

The college in Maynooth.

You won't get access to the library but you should be able to get into a lecture theatre or the reading room in the arts block. Should be quiet there unless the Spanish students have taken it over.

Just walk into a room don't ask security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

You'd think Maynooth alright. Alas there is no public transport from Newbridge to Maynooth bar getting a train into Heuston, getting the LUAS to Connolly and then getting a train to Maynooth! God I remember the days that Kavanagh's didn't run a bus up to Maynooth during exam times and that was in the 00s!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Train to Hazelhatch, shuttle bus, bus to Maynooth is another option but its also hideous. Absolutely no north-south transport links in the county - how you're expected to get to Naas for a driving test legally I've no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Wordless wrote: »
    You'd think Maynooth alright. Alas there is no public transport from Newbridge to Maynooth bar getting a train into Heuston, getting the LUAS to Connolly and then getting a train to Maynooth! God I remember the days that Kavanagh's didn't run a bus up to Maynooth during exam times and that was in the 00s!

The simplest public transport would be train to Hueston and get the 66 or 67 from Parkgate Street across the river from Hueston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Agree with Maynooth College. Just walk in to the arts block and use the reading room, even if there's nobody in there. Easiest way to get there would definitely be the train to Heuston and a bus from there out.

Complete pain to have to travel for so long to get to Maynooth, but if you're not necessarily in a rush, you can start your day early with a bit of study on the train and a coffee; ease yourself into the study session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

cut ur loses a small bit if going into town what about trying the likes of DIT rather then going back out to Maynooth to find a study area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Easiest way from Newbridge to Maynooth (if you don't drive), is to get a lift.

Newbridge to Maynooth would be a nightmare with Sunday bus and train timetables. Be quicker to walk.

Yeah thanks everyone I'll be trying Maynooth. Can probably get a lift as well so no problems there

Jamies15 wrote: »
    Yeah thanks everyone I'll be trying Maynooth. Can probably get a lift as well so no problems there

Ah sure if you can get a lift Maynooth is the one.

Newbridge to Maynooth would be a nightmare with Sunday bus and train timetables. Be quicker to walk.

Not to mention the price of the train!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

By far the handiest way would be to get a train from Newbridge to Hazelhatch and then either pay €10 for a taxi or better yet bring a bike. It's a 30 minute cycle.

Would take a fraction of the time of going all the way into town then waiting for a 66 or 67 and coming all the way back out.

I was asking a friend about this and another option might be the Parish centre in Newbridge. Even if it isn't open on Sunday I am sure if you ring them they might let you use it. They have a website with contact details. I was also thinking about the Riverbank arts centre which is quite enough. It would save you over an hour travelling from Maynooth and back every Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you're getting the train in to Dublin why not just go to Trinity and use a lecture theatre there?

Advertisement