Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Cycle Projections

Options
  • 18-07-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Well lads, assuming an optimal calorie intake and recovery how likely do you think it is to hit the projected weights at the end of a 12 week Starting Strength Cycle mainly the Squat, bench and overhead press
    i.e.

Squat (start)70kgx3x5 - (Fin)157.5kgx3x5
    Bench (start)60kgx3x5 - (Fin)102.5kgx3x5
    Press (start)30kgx3x5 - (Fin)72.5kgx3x5

Its mainly a question for discussion I don't really think that progression is achievable given the amount of variables, sleep fatigue diet etc

(yes I do realise my opening and closing paragraph are a contradiction)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

I'll just report my experience. In my first 12 weeks of SS (middle of last year), my squat went from 3x5x70 to 3x5x155. I failed 150, 152.5 and 155 once each before getting them, then I failed 157.5 three times and had to reset.

Bench in that time got to 3x5x90 and OHP to 3x5x62.5.

Your starting bench is a bit higher than mine was. I'm not the best presser even now.

I put on quite a bit of weight over that time, probably around 7-10Kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What's your height and weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

An increase of 87.5kg in squat, and 42.5 in both bench and press. It might be achievable in squat and bench, but press increases aren't going to keep up with bench.

Squat: +5kg per session for 3weeks, then +5kg per week
    Bench: +2.5kg per session for 3weeks, then +2.5kg per week

The above hit the targets with 2.5kg to spare in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

Blacktie. wrote: »
    What's your height and weight?

6' 95kg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

Well I am 6'1 and was 94kg when I started so you should at least be able to replicate my numbers. Just eat lots and train hard. The mental part is almost the hardest once you're squatting serious weight, especially if you're failing reps which you will do towards the end of a linear progression.

• Advertisement
Advertisement