Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it safe to buy second hand MacBook Pro - Adverts

• 18-07-2014 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to buy a mac book pro on adverts it's €900.
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz i5, 1Tb HDD 8 GB Ram 13".
    The owner said he will restore to factory settings.
    Is it safe to buy this and what should u look out for ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Hi, I'm looking to buy a mac book pro on adverts it's €900.
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz i5, 1Tb HDD 8 GB Ram 13".
    The owner said he will restore to factory settings.
    Is it safe to buy this and what should u look out for ?
    Don't know about Apple gear specifically but I would need to be looking at some serious (30+) positive feedback for a start.
    Is it still under warranty ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

Request the serial number and check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Check out his feedback (if any), make sure you ask for serial number to check warranty status. Ask what the battery health is like on it too. When meeting up ask him to bring some photo ID just in case anything is a bit dodgy. Give it a good inspection for any problems when meeting up. Should be fine though as most sellers would be genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I've bought and sold various Macs, etc on adverts.ie over the years and always (touch wood) had good experiences. Both bought from and sold to some very nice people over many years.
    If you're paying a lot of money, could I suggest that you arrange to meet the seller in a bank (also good for the seller, who can get your money scanned to make sure you're not giving him/her forged notes!); take a photo of the seller and of his/her passport on the ID page. Make sure you see the MacBook working before you buy it, and plug it in and make sure it's charging from the power supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I've bought and sold various Macs, etc on adverts.ie over the years and always (touch wood) had good experiences. Both bought from and sold to some very nice people over many years.
    If you're paying a lot of money, could I suggest that you arrange to meet the seller in a bank (also good for the seller, who can get your money scanned to make sure you're not giving him/her forged notes!); take a photo of the seller and of his/her passport on the ID page. Make sure you see the MacBook working before you buy it, and plug it in and make sure it's charging from the power supply.
    overkill if seller has solid feedback IMO.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    overkill if seller has solid feedback IMO.

Probably is, but if you're handing over a few hundred euro…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Probably is, but if you're handing over a few hundred euro…
    Happens every day on adverts. Phones command € in this territory regularly, let alone laptops. Obviously buying 2nd hand comes with risk, as does purchasing anywhere. Personally, as an adverts user with solid feedback, if I was selling something 2nd hand and someone asked me for passport photos and to go to a bank to verify note crispiness, I'd sell elsewhere and give them a free tinfoil hat for their troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

OSI wrote: »
    What use is asking for passport/ID? You have no comeback on a second hand purchase whatsoever.

In case it's stolen or maybe you want to take action with getting your money back yourself.

OSI wrote: »
    What use is asking for passport/ID? You have no comeback on a second hand purchase whatsoever.

As far as I know, you have the same rights on a secondhand purchase as on a new one; you have a right to expect warrantable goods that are as described. That's certainly the basis on which I sell anything, and the basis on which I expect to buy anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

As far as I know, you have the same rights on a secondhand purchase as on a new one; you have a right to expect warrantable goods that are as described. That's certainly the basis on which I sell anything, and the basis on which I expect to buy anything.

If your are buying from a person it's just a case of buyer beware.

• Advertisement

Here's Citizens' Advice on buying a used car, which is the same as buying anything secondhand:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_ireland.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Here's Citizens' Advice on buying a used car, which is the same as buying anything secondhand:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_ireland.html

Maybe you should read the bit about buying through a small advertisement, i.e. Private sale. You have NO protection. Buyer beware.

Here is the correct info: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/second-hand

whiterebel wrote: »
    Maybe you should read the bit about buying through a small advertisement, i.e. Private sale. You have NO protection. Buyer beware.

Here is the correct info: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/second-hand

Which says:
    When you buy a second-hand item from someone who is selling it as part of their business, you have a similar set of rights as when you buy a new item. However, your rights very much depend on what you paid for the item.

Any item you buy, including a second-hand item, must be fit for the purpose it has been sold for. It must also be as described to you, and the quality must be of an expected level, given the price you paid.

- See more at: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/second-hand#sthash.69II9C6k.dpuf

If you're paying some hundreds of euro, you have protection, and you have a right to expect straight dealing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Which says:

If you're paying some hundreds of euro, you have protection, and you have a right to expect straight dealing.

Are you deliberately missing the bit that says "as part of their business"? This is for car dealers, not private sale. Here, I'll even put in the bit you're missing:

"Private sales

If you buy second-hand items through a private sale – like a second-hand car through a newspaper or website advert - you have no consumer rights as you are not buying from a business.

If you buy from a private seller, the item only has to be owned by the seller and fit their description. The item does not have to be suitable for any purpose. So it is very much a case of "buyer beware". You should check the item carefully and make sure you are happy before you buy it. For example, if you are buying a second hand car privately, you should consider having a mechanic look at it first.

- See more at: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/second-hand#sthash.MkMicLSH.dpuf

Value has no bearing on it either. You buy a second hand Rolex privately for 2 grand and it stops when you get home - tough, buyer beware.

Advertisement