Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing to gas, concerns & options?

• 18-07-2014 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

We have an oil central heating system. We're thinking of changing to gas, and had been thinking of getting a multi fuel stove previously because we have a back boiler. Firstly, does anyone know if it's possible to run both a multi fuel stove & a gas system?

Also, we got a quote a few years ago for around 2,500 from a RGI installer to convert our system to gas (small dormer bungalow) I think that was including the grant at the time. We would love to have gas because of the benefits of paying a bi-monthly bill compared to lump sums for oil, waiting for deliveries as oil always seems to go over holidays, frozen pipes, air locks etc, as well as a back garden free of tanks & boilers. Are there any cons to having gas that anyone can make me aware of? We are a bit worried about a couple of domestic gas accidents that have been reported over the news in the past couple of years.....gas explosions etc. In that respect oil seems safer!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

We have an oil central heating system. We're thinking of changing to gas, and had been thinking of getting a multi fuel stove previously because we have a back boiler. Firstly, does anyone know if it's possible to run both a multi fuel stove & a gas system?

Also, we got a quote a few years ago for around 2,500 from a RGI installer to convert our system to gas (small dormer bungalow) I think that was including the grant at the time. We would love to have gas because of the benefits of paying a bi-monthly bill compared to lump sums for oil, waiting for deliveries as oil always seems to go over holidays, frozen pipes, air locks etc, as well as a back garden free of tanks & boilers. Are there any cons to having gas that anyone can make me aware of? We are a bit worried about a couple of domestic gas accidents that have been reported over the news in the past couple of years.....gas explosions etc. In that respect oil seems safer!!

The only con is that gas boiler parts can be expensive but that shouldn't affect you until years down the road. Nat gas is much cheaper to run also. Just make sure your system is properly power flushed before hand. I'd also recommend upgrading your heating controls to get the most from your new boiler

Advertisement