Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car broken down

• 18-07-2014 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just got a call from my father that his car had broken down. When I met him, there was a slight burning smell & we couldn't get the car into gear.
    Is the clutch gone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A burnt clutch has a unique smell. If the smell is just a normal burning one the clutch isn't gone, you've bigger problems.

If it's a burnt clutch you can still drive it by putting it in gear before starting, but your stuck in that gear and need to stop the engine anytime you stop the car.

Best thing is to check if you have recovery from your insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Del2005 wrote: »
    A burnt clutch has a unique smell. If the smell is just a normal burning one the clutch isn't gone, you've bigger problems.

If it's a burnt clutch you can still drive it by putting it in gear before starting, but your stuck in that gear and need to stop the engine anytime you stop the car.

Best thing is to check if you have recovery from your insurance.

Just went down to the car there. I can get it into gear with the engine off. But I can't, when the engine is on.

Is there anyway of knowing when a clutch is about to go? My Dad just bought the car. I brought it to a mechanic & test drove it before we bought it. The clutch wasn't slipping??

Tilikum wrote: »
    Just went down to the car there. I can get it into gear with the engine off. But I can't, when the engine is on.

Is there anyway of knowing when a clutch is about to go? My Dad just bought the car. I brought it to a mechanic & test drove it before we bought it. The clutch wasn't slipping??

There may be some slipping when it's about to go but unscrupulous sellers can get around that. When you get it to a garage they can tell if it was worn out or a failure. Did you buy from a garage or private. If it was a garage you have come back under the sale of goods act, if private no come back other than good will.

There may be some slipping when it's about to go but unscrupulous sellers can get around that. When you get it to a garage they can tell if it was worn out or a failure. Did you buy from a garage or private. If it was a garage you have come back under the sale of goods act, if private no come back other than good will.

Private. We got the car pretty cheap so not too bothered about paying for a new clutch. €240?

Surely the mechanic would have checked the clutch, when I brought it to him before buying it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

What kind of car is it?
    240 sounds very cheap

• Advertisement

What kind of car is it?
    240 sounds very cheap

Ford focus. The clutch went in my own 2 months back. I was charged €240

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

No. Its not covered. Its a wearable item.

Also, tell us how a seller can get around selling a car with the clutch worn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Put into 1st gear then start car you will be able to get it home and change gear at low speed. When dropping pull out of gear turn off and start again in 1st

Put into 1st gear then start car you will be able to get it home and change gear at low speed. When dropping pull out of gear turn off and start again in 1st

Thanks for the advice but the auld lad's mate is towing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

MidlandsM wrote: »

The only way I can think of is if the buyer really hasn't a clue about cars.
    Apart from that, it's quite hard to cover up a slipping clutch

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »

A car has to be of merchantable quality when buying from a dealer, a clutch going within a week means that the car wasn't good enough for sale unless it was a catastrophic failure. Once the OP has the clutch out their mechanic will be able to tell what happened.

Not that it really matters as the OP bought private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

bear1 wrote: »
    The only way I can think of is if the buyer really hasn't a clue about cars.
    Apart from that, it's quite hard to cover up a slipping clutch

Years ago the method was to throw a load of flour into the bellhousing.
    Often gave enough grip to 'get you home' (or sell the car).

I don't know lads, maybe I'm just too innocent but the couple that sold the car were a yr behind me in school. I wanted to get the car on a Wednesday, but the girl said she needed it for work until Friday. If she knew about the clutch surely she'd get rid straight away.

I just remembered the last car Dad bought (off his mate) the clutch cable snapped the very next day he drive to cork. Maybe he's just unlucky as fook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

I don't know lads, maybe I'm just too innocent but the couple that sold the car were a yr behind me in school. I wanted to get the car on a Wednesday, but the girl said she needed it for work until Friday. If she knew about the clutch surely she'd get rid straight away.

I just remembered the last car Dad bought (off his mate) the clutch cable snapped the very next day he drive to cork. Maybe he's just unlucky as fook.

Sounds more like this again rather than a worn clutch, however in this case it's a push rod that can slip off the pedal ,, common fault and cheap fix on focus, have a look above pedal yourself or himself, fixes on google, involving a more secure clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Bigus wrote: »
    Sounds more like this again rather than a worn clutch, however in this case it's a push rod that can slip off the pedal ,, common fault and cheap fix on focus, have a look above pedal yourself or himself, fixes on google, involving a more secure clip.

That fault is on fiestas as well.Silly arrangement.Simple fault for the OP if thats what it is.

In fairness, it might be possible that the clutch was on its last legs without it affecting the drive, and then it got worn enough to start losing the drive after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Bigus wrote: »
    That wouldn't explain the burning smell. A worn clutch seems much more plausible.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    That wouldn't explain the burning smell. A worn clutch seems much more plausible.

It was a worn clutch. He's just had it replaced but I can smell it burning again everytime he gets out of the car. Is it normal when a clutch has been replaced, for there to be a burning smell? Or is it more likely to do with the way he's driving it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It was a worn clutch. He's just had it replaced but I can smell it burning again everytime he gets out of the car. Is it normal when a clutch has been replaced, for there to be a burning smell? Or is it more likely to do with the way he's driving it?

I wouldn't have thought it normal for a burning smell to persist. He could be 'riding' the clutch pedal and unconsciously pressing the clutch pedal causing it to slip slightly and overheat; also some people tend to rev the engine hard when manoeuvring in/out of parking spaces or driveways which may have the same effect.
    Alternatively the smell could be from something unrelated to the clutch such as an oil leak.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought it normal for a burning smell to persist. He could be 'riding' the clutch pedal and unconsciously pressing the clutch pedal causing it to slip slightly and overheat; also some people tend to rev the engine hard when manoeuvring in/out of parking spaces or driveways which may have the same effect.
    Alternatively the smell could be from something unrelated to the clutch such as an oil leak.

He really really revs the engine, when taking off. His old car was a much bigger estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

He really really revs the engine, when taking off. His old car was a much bigger estate.

Sure there's your problem then.
    Keep doing that and before long it will need another clutch.
    Revving the pistons out of the engine while slowly removing your foot from the clutch is the best way to kill it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

This is what kills clutches.

Also sitting with the clutch half on at lights burns them out also.

It's only necessary to bring the clutch to the bite point at idle and then provide throttle.

I've had the same clutch and DMF since 160,000 km and now i'm on 342,000 km.

It's just a matter of fixing a bad habit imo.

Advertisement