Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying House Paint

• 18-07-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I'm painting the interior of the house next week. I'm trying to keep costs down if possible, so any places worth checking for white and colours? (saw Woodies have a sale on white).
    Located in the city with a car.
    Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Get a quote from the Crown place in the Kilmallock Road enterprise center, they wholesale to painters or buying in bulk.

http://www.yourlocal.ie/company/380346339098624

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mrtayto27

Fleetwood paints also have trade depots in inchicore and finglas, you should try your local hardware store, there is always good bargains throughout the summer months,

Fleetwood paints also have trade depots in inchicore and finglas, you should try your local hardware store, there is always good bargains throughout the summer months,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,693 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We did a good bit of painting in the last year and we found we got better value in our local Co-op. They were also more likely to give a bit of money of at the till if you asked.
    I'm speaking from my experience and I'd recommend you use Dulux paint I've heard of some horror stories about people using Fleetwood paint.

• Advertisement

We did a good bit of painting in the last year and we found we got better value in our local Co-op. They were also more likely to give a bit of money of at the till if you asked.
    I'm speaking from my experience and I'd recommend you use Dulux paint I've heard of some horror stories about people using Fleetwood paint.

I have heard horror stories about people using every brand of paint including Dulux , it all boils down to preparation and price, don't expect any type of paint to perform well if the preparation isn't done right

Mrtayto27 wrote: »
    I have heard horror stories about people using every brand of paint including Dulux , it all boils down to preparation and price, don't expect any type of paint to perform well if the preparation isn't done right

This was nothing to do with preparation. It was just due to the paint being poor quality.

This was nothing to do with preparation. It was just due to the paint being poor quality.

So that means you have the proof that all surfaces were cleaned of all forigen bodies and that the manufacturers instructions were followed to the letter using good quality applicators, to make a statement like that must mean that you know the products thoroughly, as far as I am aware the quality is as good as anything that any other paint company supplies and that comes from somebody who has been in theindustry for the last 18 years not just somebody who just watches the ads on the telly and listening to hearsay. the original poster wanted some advice on some good prices on paint located in Dublin , as I always do I suggested to shop local to try and keep money in the locality, and there is always good advice on offer in the smaller more personal shops which in my opinion is the best bargain to get anywhere, what I would recommend to the original poster is to discard the comments both me and you have made about whatever product , visit the local hardware/ decor centre and avail of promotions which run all summer long not just on bank holiday weekends

So that means you have the proof that all surfaces were cleaned of all forigen bodies and that the manufacturers instructions were followed to the letter using good quality applicators, to make a statement like that must mean that you know the products thoroughly, as far as I am aware the quality is as good as anything that any other paint company supplies and that comes from somebody who has been in theindustry for the last 18 years not just somebody who just watches the ads on the telly and listening to hearsay. the original poster wanted some advice on some good prices on paint located in Dublin , as I always do I suggested to shop local to try and keep money in the locality, and there is always good advice on offer in the smaller more personal shops which in my opinion is the best bargain to get anywhere, what I would recommend to the original poster is to discard the comments both me and you have made about whatever product , visit the local hardware/ decor centre and avail of promotions which run all summer long not just on bank holiday weekends

I've a neighbour in his late fifties and he's being in the decorating industry since he finished school. He's trained many local lads and he's well respected in the community. He's painted local shops/houses/factories/the health centre. I.e if there's a job for painting in our town he gets it. We were talking to him a couple of months ago and he said he wouldn't touch Fleetwood paint due to previous bad experiences with it.
    I wouldn't recommend the OP buys Fleetwood paint. I was just being honest with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

the original poster wanted some advice on some good prices on paint located in Dublin , as I always do I suggested to shop local to try and keep money in the locality
    I'd been a bit too busy to reply until now, thanks for the posts.
    I made this topic this in the Limerick forum, so would be local to Limerick City, not Dublin.

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »
    I made this topic this in the Limerick forum, so would be local to Limerick City, not Dublin.
    Sorry didn't read the heading properly, Thomand paints or the Albany in limerick city would be 2 good decor shops to price , again I would take the recommendations from the staff in the shop, after all it's also their reputation they are selling, not just a brand , I do harp on about it a lot but shop local keeps the money local and jobs in the area .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Sera wrote: »
    Irish Wire Products on the Dock road have signs up offering 3 for the price of 2 and other specials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Thanks for the advice Pecker and Tayto! I'll have a look at those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

I'd highly recommend colortrend paint - its Irish made (in Celbridge) and although more expensive it is built to last in Irish weather! We stupidly painted our whole house in a store brand paint and whilst it seemed ok at the time the difference we noticed when we started redecorating using the colourtrend paints was an eye opening experience!
    A few places sell it but we mostly buy from Colorworx in Rhebogue. Really nice people too!

Advertisement