Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I close bank account when I'm not in the country?

Options
  • 18-07-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I would like to close my bank account but Im out of the country. How do I close it as soon as possible? 

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Gabija.K

Thanks for your query today and welcome to Boards.ie

To close your account from abroad, you can send a written instruction to your account holding branch(cannot accept fax/email). Please include in your letter, your banking details, contact number and signature. 

If you have a credit balance in this account, you can also include how you would like this transferred to you. 

For example, if you would like a bank draft, please advise your branch who to make this payable to. You may prefer to have the funds sent electronically to a replacement account. For this, we will require banking details, i.e. account number, sort code, IBAN and BIC, name on account and bank name and address.

We would also suggest, if you are set up for eStatements online, before closing account, please revert back to paper statements if you would like to receive your closing statement in the post. Also, you could download and save a copy of all your eStatements in pdf if you would like to retain these for future use. Once the account is closed by your branch, you will not have any online access to it. 

Address and contact details for your branch can be found here

We hope this information helps. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement