Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day 2014

Options
  • 18-07-2014 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

The Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day 2014 returns this year, for august 23rd and 24th. 2014 is the second year of running the event, hosted by Wexford Wheelers, and once again, kindly supported by Stafford Wholesale Wexford.

2013 was our first year of the event, returning after an absence of almost 21 years.

This year, the Race categories remain the same, A1, A2/A3/Junior and A4.
    In addition, this year the race hosts the final round of the National Womens League race series on sunday, using stage 3 of the two day event.

The exceptionally popular 'Quarry Hills' circuit returns, however this year, the 'Quarry Hills' circuit becomes stage 1. We received much positive and enthusiastic feedback on the 'Quarry Hills' circuit, both from riders and CI commissaires.

Day 1 Stage 1 is again set in Camaross Hall County Wexford, and set to roll at midday on Saturday.

Stage 2 is a Time Trial, based close to Wexford Town and will run on Saturday evening. Stage 2 is a new route with a short flat distance. Stage 3 is also a new Route based upon the National Routes around Wexford Town, Enniscorthy and New Ross.

Timing this year is being handled by Alice Sherratt and Team, Frank Gibson.

The Event Website Link is:
    http://www.wexfordwheelers.com/index.php/stafford-wholesale-wexford-two-day/

or www.wexfordwheelers.com

Online registration:https://wexfordwheelers.primo-events.com/ps/event/StaffordWholesaleWexfordTwoDay20141

Thank You to Boards.ie for this publicity space.

Happy to help with queries here. My contact details are on the wexford wheelers website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Eoin_Morton

Looks class Michael! Won't be able make it this year. Love the idea of the tt in wexford town, savage idea. Promoting cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Looks like it's going to be another great race! However, would it not make sense to put the A2 riders in with the A1 race to get the numbers up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Great work Michael and Wexford Wheelers! I won't be able to make it down this year but absolutely loved it last year! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The vast majority of A2 races this year have been in with the A1s, no handicap. This is a welcome change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Route maps please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

Ah dont make stage 2 too short, the diesels need to be able to claw back time from the goats some how! Definetly down for this, looking forward to it, I'm even going to get my TT machine all shined up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I see in the Junior Tour, the TT had to be done on a road bike, would you not consider the same to eliminate advantages to certain riders based on equipment budget? makes it fairer all round imo.

Fair point, I'm sure there'd be no objections to the likes of that. I'll leave it at home so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

TT last year was mostly uphill, didn't see many (any?) on TT rigs

EDIT: ah... looks like route change this year, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭ericzeking

By the sounds of it it's a location in the town, which would indicate it's flat....no complaints here as last years TT was a sonofabeeetch... no TT bikes is also a nice idea, where would clip on bars fall?

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    By the sounds of it it's a location in the town, which would indicate it's flat....no complaints here as last years TT was a sonofabeeetch... no TT bikes is also a nice idea, where would clip on bars fall?

Personally I'd keep it to Standard Road Bike, no clips ons, keep it about the man, not the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I would imagine you should plan to bring your best gear, until Michael196 says otherwise. Even if everyone on here agrees not to bring TT bikes, there'll be plenty who will unless Michael196 makes a rule about it.

I would imagine you should plan to bring your best gear, until Michael196 says otherwise. Even if everyone on here agrees not to bring TT bikes, there'll be plenty who will unless Michael196 makes a rule about it.

Aye, my suggestion was that this be incorporated into the rules, as it was in the Junior Tour TT earlier this week. Even in a short TT the depth of ones pockets can drastically skew the results of a race such as this, rather than the power in ones legs and engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Jack Joll wrote: »
    Fair point, I'm sure there'd be no objections to the likes of that. I'll leave it at home so.

Objection here! then us triathletes dont have our day in the sun :P

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

TT bikes are fair game, where do you stop with a money argument, zipps, carbon, skinsuits, there's loads of advantages lots of riders have everywhere, plenty TT very well on a road bike, and plenty have an awful and weak position on a TT bike. TT's in stage races here so so small that a ban seems a bit much? Besides what excuse are we supposed to have for an extra bike in the house??

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye, my suggestion was that this be incorporated into the rules, as it was in the Junior Tour TT earlier this week. Even in a short TT the depth of ones pockets can drastically skew the results of a race such as this, rather than the power in ones legs and engine.

our club league impose such a ban for the tt leg. Keeps it much fairer IMO, but that could be just cause i don't have a tt.....

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Races like the juinor tour, ras na mban etc. ban TT bikes (and indeed, any TT equipment), but that's to attract foreign squads and ensure they don't suffer a disadvantage by not being able to ferry over additional bikes. I don't see this race as being in the same situation. I don't have a TT bike, but if I did I'd want to be bringing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I see in the Junior Tour, the TT had to be done on a road bike, would you not consider the same to eliminate advantages to certain riders based on equipment budget? makes it fairer all round imo.

I'd imagine the reason it's standard road bikes in junior tour is because of logistics for international riders?!

All TT equipment not allowed in a TT?! Or is only the tt stuff you don't have?

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Races like the juinor tour, ras na mban etc. ban TT bikes (and indeed, any TT equipment), but that's to attract foreign squads and ensure they don't suffer a disadvantage by not being able to ferry over additional bikes. I don't see this race as being in the same situation. I don't have a TT bike, but if I did I'd want to be bringing it.

I disagree, A3/4 race shouldn't be decided by who has the deepest pockets. A full TT rig will confer a good time gap for the same power output over even a short TT. Very unlikely anyone TTing on a road bike has any chance of winning the overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

I disagree, A3/4 race shouldn't be decided by who has the deepest pockets. A full TT rig will confer a good time gap for the same power output over even a short TT. Very unlikely anyone TTing on a road bike has any chance of winning the overall.
    The TTs in stage races tend to be short as a means of limiting the impact of the equipment. The time gaps are small. A successful breakaway will do plenty of damage to the GC.

• Advertisement

I've got a 10 kilo bike for the road stages, I demand that sub 10 kilo should not be permitted in the road stages!

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    I've got a 10 kilo bike for the road stages, I demand that sub 10 kilo should not be permitted in the road stages!

The diff between road bikes only makes a negligible difference on a road stage, the diff a full TT rig makes is substantial even on a short TT. But hey if spending money is the only way people can win, why not eh?

Also in the TT you shouldn't be below 45deg to the perpendicular, to reduce the likelihood that you might be gain added seconds by lying sprawled out on the handlebars. Now look what I started... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The diff between road bikes makes a relatively negligible difference on a road stage, the diff a full TT rig makes is substantial even on a short TT. But hey if spending money is the only way people can win, why not eh?

An aero carbon road bike vs a steel road bike?

I know what you are saying though and kind of agree - but does any A4 go out and buy a TT bike specifically for these races?

I'd have no problem though if they said road bikes only, no aero bars or TT bikes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Races like the juinor tour, ras na mban etc. ban TT bikes (and indeed, any TT equipment), but that's to attract foreign squads and ensure they don't suffer a disadvantage by not being able to ferry over additional bikes.

This is exactly the reason alright. You see the same thing happening in some Pro Tour races, such as the early season ones in Gulf States.

The diff between road bikes only makes a negligible difference on a road stage, the diff a full TT rig makes is substantial even on a short TT. But hey if spending money is the only way people can win, why not eh?

Oh right, everything else is equal apart from a TT bike which you don't happen to have.

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Oh right, everything else is equal apart from a TT bike which you don't happen to have.

I am not racing in Wexford, I just think A3/4 racing, where not everyone is going to have a TT bike, should be about who's the strongest, not who's spent the most on a TT rig. Making people do the TT on their standard road bike is a great way of ensuring this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You're pretty much arguing for the UCI banning TT bikes outright. The Wexford Two Day is no different from any other race really.

You're pretty much arguing for the UCI banning TT bikes outright. The Wexford Two Day is no different from any other race really.

Not at all, Pro's have access to all the equipment, so noone is at a substantial disadvantage.

I am merely saying that at a low level of amateur racing it might not be a bad idea to have a level playing field, cycling is meant to be about the rider, not the bike, or maybe I have that concept wrong....

• Advertisement

It's never a level playing field. Some people will always have more money to spend on material than others. You're just moving the dial across a little more in terms of what is and isn't allowed.

There's fairly strict UCI regs already on TT frames to limit the advantage they provide. Most of the aerodynamic advantages conferred by a TT bike can be achieved by putting aerobars on a road bike and adjusting the position. That plus skinsuit plus pointy hat and you already have most of the aero gains you can get without breaking the bank.

Advertisement