Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

From what I hear on the grapevine down in this part of the world a road bike might actually be more of an advantage for this particular TT , could be wrong though .

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Inquitus wrote: »
    I see in the Junior Tour, the TT had to be done on a road bike, would you not consider the same to eliminate advantages to certain riders based on equipment budget? makes it fairer all round imo.

I totally agree with this. At the recent Tour of Omagh the 2nd Stage was a TT of just 4km. The top of the leaderboard after this stage was awash with guy's on full TT rigs and gear. A lot of them made about 25-35 seconds on equally strong riders just because of the equipment they could afford. If the TT at the Wexford 2 Day has a few turns on it, that in itself might level the playing field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 2Cando

Any ideas on the distance of the TT?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

greenmat wrote: »
    I totally agree with this. At the recent Tour of Omagh the 2nd Stage was a TT of just 4km. The top of the leaderboard after this stage was awash with guy's on full TT rigs and gear. A lot of them made about 25-35 seconds on equally strong riders just because of the equipment they could afford. If the TT at the Wexford 2 Day has a few turns on it, that in itself might level the playing field.

In fairness A4 has a different slant because in many cases it will be riders first stage race and the % of rider with TT rig will be lower which offers a greater advantage. For the likes of Gorey, Charleville & Mayo and other stage races which feature short rolling/flat TT's I've never heard any calls for forbidding TT rig, most with designs on GC will have it anyways.

In this race a short TT won't have much impact on the overall as the stages are long and hard, 20 seconds gain in the TT will mean nothing when you miss the break on stage 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

I see in the Junior Tour, the TT had to be done on a road bike, would you not consider the same to eliminate advantages to certain riders based on equipment budget? makes it fairer all round imo.

Juniors arent allowed race on tt bikes afaik, also means foreign junior riders need only bring one bike with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    20 seconds gain in the TT will mean nothing when you miss the break on stage 3.

That's not true, it will mean the fella in the break who had the TT bike will take the overall. You'll have a number of people, say 10-15, who finish in the front group of each road stage, they will be seperated by the TT, and anyone who had a TT bike will finish ahead because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

What about the excellent cyclists who get a fancy dancy retul bike fit, should that be banned also?

That's not true, it will mean the fella in the break who had the TT bike will take the overall. You'll have a number of people, say 10-15, who finish in the front group of each road stage, they will be seperated by the TT, and anyone who had a TT bike will finish ahead because of it.

So we should ignore technology and advancement until its accessible for free to every man on the street?

Next time I'm on the golf course I'll demand my fellow competitors drop their 3 grand clubs and play with a branch from the ditch!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So we should ignore technology and advancement until its accessible for free to every man on the street?

Next time I'm on the golf course I'll demand my fellow competitors drop their 3 grand clubs and play with a branch from the ditch!

No I think you should just stick to golf ;)

No I think you should just stick to golf ;)

Part time job maybe, you'll get there:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

We are making our club tt merckx rules. I dont mind not using my tt bike. It makes it fair. I have won it the last 3 years it might give someone else a chance. Some of the pro tour races at the start of the year were merckx rules but just for logistical reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

fondriest wrote: »
    From what I hear on the grapevine down in this part of the world a road bike might actually be more of an advantage for this particular TT , could be wrong though .
    2Cando wrote: »
    Any ideas on the distance of the TT?

1.9km flat route on the quays I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hope that's true, a race along the quays would be a great advertisement for bike racing in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

I am on my holiers ( for 1 day only ) in Westport at the Skoda Sportif tonite.

Let me query the suitability of Time trial bikes on that stage , and bring you all an informed perspective. I don't have a TT bike myself.

Event take up has been phenomenal so far in just a few hours. Thank you all our supporters.

That is True. Stage 2 is a 1.8km Time Trial along Wexfords Quay front. Not on the road, on the actual quayfront.
    We will send you down 0.9 km of barriered unidirectional channels, on the quay front, traveling over Concrete, wood sections, tarmac, and small ramps. After 0.9 km we turn you 360 Degrees and race you back to the start, through unidirectional channels. The wood sections normally support commercial traffic tending to the fishing trawlers.
    No Cars, no traffic, no blockages, just go as fast as you can. It is a Time trial, in a sprint/ prologue / Criterium style. The Quay front is flood lit in the evening so duration is no problem, Part of the race Channels are tree lined in sections.
    The borough council are working with us to remove, all quay front furniture, giving us, clear fast straight channels. The borough council are 100% supportive of hosting the stage on the quayfront.
    The potential here is to bring the race to the very center of town, attracting the public to come along and safely view the race up close. The potential is also for a carnival atmosphere on a saturday evening on the quayfront.
    Stage 2 requires the riders to warm up as close to the start as possible, using rollers, and the warm up, support cars, as close to the stage as possible. This brings the whole race organisation / the rider preparation, the actual race and public all together on the quayfront for a few hours, on a Saturday evening.
    The organising team are very excited about stage 2. The short stage permits stage 1 and stage 3 to be lengthier stages.

In fairness A4 has a different slant because in many cases it will be riders first stage race and the % of rider with TT rig will be lower which offers a greater advantage. For the likes of Gorey, Charleville & Mayo and other stage races which feature short rolling/flat TT's I've never heard any calls for forbidding TT rig, most with designs on GC will have it anyways.

In this race a short TT won't have much impact on the overall as the stages are long and hard, 20 seconds gain in the TT will mean nothing when you miss the break on stage 3.

This poster has hit the nail on the head here.

Well done Michael , looking forward to it , entry in and I've even started training . Enjoy Westport .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Would there be an issue with the wooden section if it happened to rain?

The organising team have made that consideration and considered the 'what if' scenario. There are alternative routes off the boards while staying on the quayfront. There is a wood covering possibility also.

However in absolute conditions, there is a back up plan, that maintains the stage and race prep on the quayfront.

The aim and focus is to run the quayfront stage, with contingencies. That is our job to provide the stage.

fondriest wrote: »
    Well done Michael , looking forward to it , entry in and I've even started training . Enjoy Westport .

beautiful location here. the Last bit of solace (and cycling !! ) .before the fun realy begins !!!!

Thank you Patsy for coming on board so early.

• Advertisement

Last year was epic aside from the timing issue. Bringing this race close to the town sounds challenging but worthwhile!

Appears to be some feck**rs on aero gear back 25 years ago :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuD35Gc1qyA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Last year was epic aside from the timing issue. Bringing this race close to the town sounds challenging but worthwhile!

Woooow, brilliant find. I commuted to work down that straight at the start (it is now one-way in the other direction) all of last year.

(I worked for 3 years in that turqoise building at 4'40)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

Pity it's not a hill tt - I think they keep everyone honest for the other stages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

any deals with the ferrycarrig hotel or elsewhere in Wexford town. would be nice to be able to check in early as well to be able to get ready and drop off any gear in the room.

the service in the maldron last year was terrible. they wouldn't even give us blankets for our youngest child for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Michael,
    Interesting change in the TT, change is always good and I suspect the nature and distance of the TT will sort the TT bike question.

Can you elaborate on the timing arrangements this year -is their a HS camera at the finish on the road stages?

The truly disturbing thing about this video is I spotted myself spectating . Jeez I'm getting old.

boege wrote: »
    Michael,
    Interesting change in the TT, change is always good and I suspect the nature and distance of the TT will sort the TT bike question.

Can you elaborate on the timing arrangements this year -is their a HS camera at the finish on the road stages?

Hi Boege,

Alice Sherratt and crew Frank Gibson are looking after our timing.

Alice and crew Frank Gibson, each year do the timing for the An Post RAS, the Gorey three day, the Junior Tour of Ireland, the Mondello Race Series, the Charlville two day, the Suir Valley three day and all the Cycling Ireland National Championship races, in addition to a smattering of one day races.

Frank Gibson will be there with the High Speed camera camera.

The Alice Sherratt and Crew were unavailabe to the event in 2013, as the event was scheduled to co-incide with the national A3 Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

michael196 wrote: »
    That is True. Stage 2 is a 1.8km Time Trial along Wexfords Quay front. Not on the road, on the actual quayfront.
    We will send you down 0.9 km of barriered unidirectional channels, on the quay front, traveling over Concrete, wood sections, tarmac, and small ramps. After 0.9 km we turn you 360 Degrees and race you back to the start, through unidirectional channels. The wood sections normally support commercial traffic tending to the fishing trawlers.
    No Cars, no traffic, no blockages, just go as fast as you can. It is a Time trial, in a sprint/ prologue / Criterium style. The Quay front is flood lit in the evening so duration is no problem, Part of the race Channels are tree lined in sections.
    The borough council are working with us to remove, all quay front furniture, giving us, clear fast straight channels. The borough council are 100% supportive of hosting the stage on the quayfront.
    The potential here is to bring the race to the very center of town, attracting the public to come along and safely view the race up close. The potential is also for a carnival atmosphere on a saturday evening on the quayfront.
    Stage 2 requires the riders to warm up as close to the start as possible, using rollers, and the warm up, support cars, as close to the stage as possible. This brings the whole race organisation / the rider preparation, the actual race and public all together on the quayfront for a few hours, on a Saturday evening.
    The organising team are very excited about stage 2. The short stage permits stage 1 and stage 3 to be lengthier stages.

That really does sound epic, now just have to get out of family party arranged for that weekend :(

One of our members is racing with a spannish crew/ club, for the past year, as part of studying abroad for the year, and he is returning in August with the full Spannish Team to enter the Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two day.

Logistical obstacles were resolved for this team with the help of the Title Sponsor. Thank you to Stafford Wholesale for coming to this teams assistance.

Our first international team. Welcome on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Boubabarcelona

Looks great. Not sure that TT equipment will make a big difference on such a short and technical course.
    Are there maps for stage 1 and 3? Can't find any.
    Also will you provide updates regarding the numbers of participants for the A1? Last year there were not enough riders entering apparently and many riders packed in before the end.

Advertisement