Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day 2014

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Oh, shame on all you cyclists letting a triathlete beat you in the A4 race:)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Oh, shame on all you cyclists letting a triathlete beat you in the A4 race:)

Those buggers come disguised. No longer do they show with sleeveless onesies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Massive thanks to Michael and team on a great weekend. Id a great experience and managed to just barely get through with the OA A4! 1 second was all it was to 2nd and there were plenty within striking distance going into yesterday so i really enjoyed having a few clubmates and Jackyback here help with covering things, setting good tempo on dangerous parts and keeping me safe! I never thought id manage a Hill TT win so was very surprised with that! New power records and HR's ive never touched on the bike too so satisfying to know i did indeed give it all! Here's to now having to deal with these juniors in A3 in 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Those buggers come disguised. No longer do they show with sleeveless onesies.

Sorry about that. I'll make sure that i get an ironamn tatoo on my calf for next time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Bambaata wrote: »
    Massive thanks to Michael and team on a great weekend. Id a great experience and managed to just barely get through with the OA A4! 1 second was all it was to 2nd and there were plenty within striking distance going into yesterday so i really enjoyed having a few clubmates and Jackyback here help with covering things, setting good tempo on dangerous parts and keeping me safe! I never thought id manage a Hill TT win so was very surprised with that! New power records and HR's ive never touched on the bike too so satisfying to know i did indeed give it all! Here's to now having to deal with these juniors in A3 in 2015!

I was in the A4 race, well done to you & your teammates. Thanks to Michael & Wexford for putting on a great stage race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Had a cracking weekend below in Wexford. Many thanks to all be organisers, especially Mr. Stafford for sponsoring the event (I think there were other sponsors also like DID Electrical and possibly Black Umbrella, correct me if I'm wrong).

Drove down from Meath on Friday evening and the N11 was really slow with a 4 car pile up and lots of road works so it took nearly 3 hours. Was camping in Ferrybank and hadn't much time to get the tent up but thankfully it was a beautiful evening with a lovely sunset. Wexford sure is a nice spot in good weather. Good facilities at the campsite and I was able to shower and cook for myself for €11 per night (€2 for a shower). Loads of people looked at me like I had 2 heads when I said I was camping but I couldn't think of any reason not to. Cheap being the Main reason I chose it. The best thing was seeing all the families just chilling having bbq's so I'm investing in a little Weber BBQ next or might try my hand at a DIY job.

Stage 1 was a great stage in the A3.very slow for the first 40-50k but then it hotted up. A break went away early. I tried making a few moves up the side but was brought back. Was thinking it was game over but around the 75k mark I saw a Blanch Wheelies rider up the road and rode across and we ploughed away together before catching the lone Cairn Wheelers rider up front. He did some incredible turns despite being out front all day. On the last drag up the N25 my legs were toast and we were caught by 5-6 riders. I couldn't contribute anything for a long time and a few riders must have been fairly annoyed but I hadn't finished a race since getting back in June and was hoping to at least get through this. Contemplated dropping off but dug deep and managed a few turns. Thought I'd be dropped on the 2 short climbs but pace was bearable, just the attack from the eventual winner which thankfully nobody tried to follow or I would have gone out the back. Almost knocked the Blanch Wheelie off his bike I was getting so ragged (had previously nearly knocked down he Moto rider apparently going for a bottle) but managed a sprint in the end for 3rd.

The TT was the last thing I wanted as my legs were wrecked. Went for a dip in the pool in Ferrybank around 3. Unfortunately they had no jacuzzi which would have been nice. 15mins rest and back to he TT. Nothing in the legs so it was all about damage limitation. Worse time than last year and dropped to 6th overall but still v happy to be in this position. Some incredible times posted by some A3s but obviously Dowling was the pick of the bunch. Someone said he averaged 34km/hr. Would love to have seen him. Lots of work to be done on my climbing I think although not many hills up here it seems.

Went for a dip in the sea in Curracloe Sat eve. Spoke to a fella in a camper van who was having a BBQ and was telling me how to BBQ chicken by sticking a beer can up its chassis and it's the best chicken you'll ever have. Also mentioned best form of recovery is a dip in cold sea water and remembered the Wexford hurlers saying they did it after all their championship matches this yr so why not. Worked a treat. Felt refreshed after it. Good sleep on Sat night in the tent an felt fine Sun morning. Wasn't sure how the legs would be but 1/2 way into the race I was feeling really strong and regret not attacking a bit more on some of the drags. Put in 3-4 digs but didn't stay away and got 1/2 across to Slipstream rider who eventually won but looked back and the bunch were nearly on my wheel. I should have kept ploughing on. Lesson learned for next time. Wouldn't be a huge fan of that particular course but the road surfaces were excellent and the marshalling very good.

Would be nice to have a flat TT next year alright as someone suggested for the Diesel engines (not sure what category I fall into though) but it would only be fair given the last 2 were uphill. Not sure if the bell caught any other riders out on the TT as I thought it was the finish and slowed down before being told it wasn't the finish. Big credit to Michael for another well organise race with plenty of tea and sangwedges afterwards. The finishing structure is great as well and the timing was spot on this year with results up on display very quickly (less than 1 hour). Another thing I'd like to see is the TT being run a bit earlier followed by the stage race. The way it worked in Newry 3 Day last year was that the TT started at 10am followed by stage around 2pm. IMO it makes it easier for riders who have travelled with families (would be interesting to see did many families travel with riders). In the current setup you're kinda spending the whole of Saturday doing bike related stuff (prep before stage race, recover after, eat, prep for TT, recover and before you know it it's nearly time for bed) so it's hard to give any time to the other 1/2 if they've traveled also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Where do I start,

To our title sponsor Stafford Wholesale Wexford, Michael Stafford Snr and Michael Stafford, Chapeau, for continuing to back Wexford Wheelers to run the event*.

Thank you to all the riders for coming and supporting the 2014 Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day.

Thank you to wexford wheelers, backroom and support teams on the day. Fb social media support crew and the neighbouring clubs who came together to provide the event. To the central team of Michael Stafford, Keith Cullen, David Maguire and Oliver Gargan, a superb job.

Our photographers, Amy Norah Farrel and Sean Rowe (Wexford Wheelers) all crews, superb timing crew, Alice Sherratt, Gary Mcilroy, Frank Gibson and Tom Keenan and the local hosts of our visiting Spannish team.

The clubs founding member from 1973, Billy Roche was present at the event, ( as he is at every Wexford Wheeler event,) and afterwards he expressed, how proud he felt to be there, to witness, what his founding club had grown to become, the organisation that provides the Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day 2014.

To boards.ie, for permitting the thread. To the boards contributors, for the subtle hints that I had omitted to publish some detail somewhere !! .Several of the podium winning riders, told me they were boardsies, as they passed me on the stage, to accept their trophies. We will start on boards again in 2015.

For me, back on the bike and catch the rebel tour and a few choice events (chuculainn) . The off season approaches, the review season. No doubt the event enhancements will be envisaged, and planned for implementation. Our efforts will be to grow the event in 2015.

I felt I could write a book, from the 2013 event, how the event came about, and the first phone call to our sponsor, its a great story. The 2014 event adds a few vital chapters.

Finally, I have learnt, that within the Ireland cycling community, of which many aspects are represented here on boards, there is a wealth of resource and expertise, locally and nationally, whom are prepared, to give a dig out at a moments notice, and pass on their knowledge and skill, to help events grow, and make cycling a stronger entity in Ireland. Our club in return, shares our resources to help grow the sport. locally and nationally. We sent our club car to the junior tour on request, and I honestly felt, that we had 'paid it forward'.

My Boss and colleagues in work, Pfizer (Wyeth Biopharma ) Grange Castle, Dublin, (Suite 3 Parenterals) now take an interest, to see each year how the event goes. Its a great #in my spare time# article.

I have an upcoming, that I want to share soon, so please , keep watching.

* to answer the previous post, Stafford Wholesale is the title sponsor and the event sole main sponsor.

P.S. to the prev poster, always come to wexford via the Naas Road, to Carlow motorway and on to bunclody and enniscorthy. Avoid the N11 Friday nightmare. Or take the Waterford motorway for camross turning for new ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

this event sounded superb this year, gutted to have to miss out. Please dont ge rid of the hill TT, the other multi day events have flat TT's (Kanturk/Charleville)...give the diesels a chance? Give the climbers a chance!

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    this event sounded superb this year, gutted to have to miss out. Please dont ge rid of the hill TT, the other multi day events have flat TT's (Kanturk/Charleville)...give the diesels a chance? Give the climbers a chance!

Setanta Showing the video production september 10 then hopefully on you tube release afterwards.

Did you not enter on time or a date clash ?

Just as matter of interest, what cat are you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

michael196 wrote: »
    Setanta Showing the video production september 10 then hopefully on you tube release afterwards.

Did you not enter on time or a date clash ?

Just as matter of interest, what cat are you ?

A3, had to miss out due to other commitments, not anything on your side! Next year!

Reminder : Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day 2014 on Setanta, Wednesday 10th September, 5:30 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Any sign of this being shown on tg4 or youtube anytime Michael ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Just wondering is this race running as per calendar this year guys ?

Normally see a lot of promo a long time in advance.

Hi HarringtonP,

yep, plans are in progress, no routes change on last year. We hope to open online entries within the next 2 weeks.

Proceeding as per calander. We are working with the locals whom are getting involved to provide bed and breakfast-dinner-laundry locally. Just bear with us and keep an eye on the Wexford two day cycle race on face book and wexford wheelers website. The Wexford wheelers website for online registration initially.

I am in Ennis for the week with the Junior Tour.

regards Michael Noonan

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Any updates on the routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Is this the first or the second day course?
    https://www.strava.com/segments/5191298
    Or has it changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Advertisement