Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 28: Sausage Casserole

• 18-07-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Sausage Casserole 

Sorry to have two sausage recipes back to back! This probably isn't even really a casserole but I'm not great on recipes and therefore naming dishes. 

Anyway, this is a go to in my house for leftover sausages from the weekend fry. My local butcher closed recently so I'm using Tesco finest sausages which are actually quite nice. They have different varieties including Mediterranean style, so I'd say you could adapt the ingredients here to suit that style. 

Ingredients (I cook for two) 
    Sausages (ironically I'm not a big meat eater. I use four sausages and I'll maybe eat one or two pieces. Cook as many as you need) 
    1 leek
    2 carrots 
    1 clove of garlic 
    1 tbsp Tomato puree 
    Worcester sauce 
    Chicken stock pot/cube

Method 
    Brown the sausages in a dry pan. I try to use the same pot for the whole thing, although it feels strange frying them in a sauce pot. They don't need to be cooked through but I normally do anyway. 

Remove the sausages keeping the oil and fat in the pan. Fry the garlic in this for a few seconds, and then add the chopped leeks.

Once the leeks have softened, add the tomato puree and a shake of Worcester sauce. Then make up the stock and add this too. I tend not to use too much water as I don't like the end result to be too liquid. Now add the chopped carrots.

When I have big sausages from the butchers I like to cut them diagonally, but these were too small. I cut them into chunks but you could leave them whole. 

Once you've added the sausages, leave the pot covered on a low heat for about half an hour, or until the carrots are cooked. 

I serve this with mashed potatoes (normally with scallions through it, but I didn't do that for this one because of the leek). If I was serving it with rice or roast potatoes/chips, I'd need more liquid and would either add a tin of tomatoes or more stock before simmering. I don't have a picture of the final product because I left my boyfriend in charge of plating it and it was not good!

Nothing amazing, but I like it! Enjoy :) 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Sounds good, add some white beans and you have a Cassoulet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Thanks OP. It's the kind of simple "what's in the fridge" recipe but something you often need a bit of inspiration for! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Malari wrote: »
    Thanks OP. It's the kind of simple "what's in the fridge" recipe but something you often need a bit of inspiration for! :)

Exactly what I was going for! Very low key but it hits the spot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Wife just made this, it's delish!

Very tasty savoury flavour - used Lidl Jumbo Sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Simple and delicious. Has this for lunch today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement