Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

system boiler or regular boiler

• 18-07-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi:

I'm getting a new boiler in, the installer is going to put in a system boiler, but my old boiler was a regular boiler and I have the water tank in the attic etc,

The installer insist that system boiler is more popular than regular boiler at the moment and it's suitable for my house, should I go for a new system boiler or a new regular boiler?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

all a system boiler means is the pump, expansion vessel and safety valve are contained within the 'box' of the boiler rather than installed externally, it will not effect the water tank in your attic at all. So yes they are fine.

What your thinking of is a 'combi' boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mudxfxa

DGOBS wrote: »
    all a system boiler means is the pump, expansion vessel and safety valve are contained within the 'box' of the boiler rather than installed externally, it will not effect the water tank in your attic at all. So yes they are fine.

What your thinking of is a 'combi' boiler

Thanks DGOBS, so a regular boiler has no advantage at all when comparing to a system boiler?

Easier for servicing as can have isolation valves fitted for draining down (non system boilers cannot have isolation valves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

DGOBS wrote: »
    Easier for servicing as can have isolation valves fitted for draining down (non system boilers cannot have isolation valves)

Why is this? isolation valves for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

cerastes wrote: »
    Why is this? isolation valves for?

You can't have isolation valves on non system boilers because there's no expansion in the boiler and if you close both valves and turn on the boiler, the water cannot expand when heated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You can't have isolation valves on non system boilers because there's no expansion in the boiler and if you close both valves and turn on the boiler, the water cannot expand when heated

I see now,thinking about it now like that, it might mean the part (PRV?) that relieves an excess of pressure wasn't fitted there it might result in the same thing? although Im still thinking it wouldnt be healthy to do to a boiler anyway, with an expansion or PRV fitted on the necessary side of an isolation valve.
    Im assuming these isolation valves are near the boiler? and located there in a non system boiler would cause the problem.
    Isn't it possible to have drain valves without the isolation except from the header supply though?

Advertisement