Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day trip to philadelphia city

Options
  • 18-07-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Heading to big philly by train on a day trip from new york in september, could anyone recommend tips/things to do around the city?? Will mainly be getting around on foot/public transport.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Depends on what you are into - it's a very big city with 90% of the good stuff packed into the center.

The two biggest draws in Philly are the historical stuff like the Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, Independence Hall, and Olde City district, and arty stuff like the Philly Art Museum, Barnes Museum (monstrous art collection of a now-dead crazy millionaire), and lot of smaller art museums. There are also loads of restaurants, bars, nightclubs of any budget and style.

For standard touristy stuff, check out www.visitphilly.com and for bar/restaurant/nightlife stuff check out www.philebrity.com which tends to cover the edgier/funkier stuff, while www.phillymag.com is more mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

can i recommend going by bus instead. its cheaper and the first stop in philly is "Independence Hall Visitors Center" right across the road from the main tourist site in town ie liberty bell/independence hall. http://us.megabus.com/Default.aspx

pretty much everything you would want to see (or be able to get to see in a day trip) would be inside the lines i drew

t7hmy8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

In addition to the above - don't forget to try a famous Cheesesteak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭8-10

In addition to the above - don't forget to try a famous Cheesesteak :)

Pat's or Geno's?

I never remember which one I prefer but it's worth going to either as they're beside each other and the 2 famous best places for cheesesteaks in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I personally prefer Jim's of South Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Philly is a big city and has just about everything, so it really depends on what you're interested in. I would say watching one of the films at the Franklin Institute IMAX theater is something else.

https://www.fi.edu/theaters/imax-theater

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

RGM wrote: »
    Philly is a big city and has just about everything, so it really depends on what you're interested in. I would say watching one of the films at the Franklin Institute IMAX theater is something else.

https://www.fi.edu/theaters/imax-theater

that looks awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

rossie1977 wrote: »
    can i recommend going by bus instead. its cheaper and the first stop in philly is "Independence Hall Visitors Center" right across the road from the main tourist site in town ie liberty bell/independence hall. http://us.megabus.com/Default.aspx

pretty much everything you would want to see (or be able to get to see in a day trip) would be inside the lines i drew

Cheers, was thinking train as i tought it would be quicker and time would be more important seeing as were only going for a day.

A few people have been telling me Boston would be the better day trip to do from New York so im kinda in 2 minds about this now :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Boston is a four hour train ride, so Philly is the best option if stuck for time

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

phishcakes wrote: »
    Cheers, was thinking train as i tought it would be quicker and time would be more important seeing as were only going for a day.

A few people have been telling me Boston would be the better day trip to do from New York so im kinda in 2 minds about this now :confused:

I agree with Smartguy. A day trip to Boston is definitely an option and it's worth a visit, but you have to realize you're looking at 7-8 hours of travel round trip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement