Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car for Triplets

Options
  • 18-07-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My wife is expecting triplets and we are wondering what others out there have done in terms of car transportation. We currently have a large saloon car with only 2isofix points. Could it still be possible to carry 3 newborns in the back, 2 isofix and one strapped? We have researched other cars and are leaning towards a 7 seater if we had to change. Would give us more space but again very few, with the exception of the French cars have 3 isofix points. A buggy is another issue. We have researched ABC Triple but wonder if a double and single might work better. How often would one go out on their own with all three on board! Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I think you would do better if you move this to the motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

Firstly Congrats! :)

It also depends on your budget, but from memory check out the following which I think have 3 isofix :

Honda FR-V
    Citroen C4 Picasso
    Ford S-Max

and maybe:

Ford Mondeo
    Fiat Multipla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Seanb8 wrote: »
    Could it still be possible to carry 3 newborns in the back, 2 isofix and one strapped?

I don't have any advice on which car to get, but I'd definitely try to get one with three Isofix if you can ... it's a pain in the ass using the straps rather than Isofix with just one baby, let alone three!

Don't forget, when you're buying, to also consider the size of the next-size-up seats that they'll be using from maybe 10-12 months onwards.

Big congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I don't have any advice on which car to get, but I'd definitely try to get one with three Isofix if you can ... it's a pain in the ass using the straps rather than Isofix with just one baby, let alone three!

Don't forget, when you're buying, to also consider the size of the next-size-up seats that they'll be using from maybe 10-12 months onwards.

Big congrats!

Wow congrats!! Triples!! Amazing! I would 100% agree! I don't even know if it is possible to have 3 isofix??? There are some new isofix car seats that are from birth to 18kg. I would buy these instead of baby carriers and then the 9kg-18kg seats. The only downside is that you can't put them on your buggy! Gosh I couldn't imagine triples! I would contact a car seat company eg britax and ask them what is the story with 3 isofix car seats. I found that on their site they have a feature where you can see where each car seat fits into each car. They may even give you some freebies!!!! :) OP there is a multi births association, you should join them as I bet they will be a fountain of info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Id also look into slings /carriers. That way 1 person could *possibly* leave the house with just a double buggy and 1 in the carrier. Also you could be carrying one on your back and holding a crying one in your arms or something.... hopefully the third one is grand in this scenario... :)

Good luck with it all!

p.s. Ford mondeo only has 2 isofix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

Hi. Firstly congratulations. Triplets will be amazing. We have twins. If you're on Facebook you should join the IMBA group. Full of parents of multiples on there. There is loads of triplet parents there too. You will get excellent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Skoda Superb estate, Octavia estate, Ford Mondeo estate, VW Passat estate.

Ford Smax, Citreon c4 picasso, something along these lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We have a Skoda Superb estate and it only has two isofix points and as big as it is you wouldn't fit three newborn seats safely in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rainman1

Hi, I am the father of 2 year old triplet boys, firstly fantastic news, triplets are wonderful and our lives have been infintely enriched by our three lads, never a dull moment and great fun, especially at our stage where they're starting to talk and asserting their independence.
    As for the car, I spent 5 months agonizing over this decision and I know what you're going through as it's pointless going to dealers, baby shops etc., as they simply don't deal with this situation on a regular basis, if ever. Two isofix points is absolutely fine, what you need to concentrate on is getting your car seats/buggies integrated, forget triple buggies for many reasons, expense, the uniterrupted attention you will draw upon yourself when trying to get shoppng done etc., but most importantly, they won't integrate with your car seats. The best solution is a twin buggy and a single, one thing that yourself and your wife won't be doing is strapping children onto your body with slings and pushing a double buggy around, taking triplets out is a two person job, full stop.
    What we opted for in the end was a people carrier with two isofix points (VW Touran), we went for three maxi cosi rear facing seats with bases, two bases clip straight into the isofix point and the centre base is secured with the seat belt, and as the seat clips off the base, you will never need to mess with the belts once they're set up. We went for an iCandy pear tandem buggy with integrated Maxi Cosi clips and a single Maxi Cosi buggy and I could have all three lads out of the car and in their buggys ready for a walk in under a minute, it really works that well.
    Hopefully this has gone some way towards answering your question, if you need any more advice, maybe send me a private message and I can give you my phone number, you have great times ahead to look forward to.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

We have a Peugeot 307SW and it has 3 isofix points across the back and they are also full sized adult seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'm the father of 16 month old twins and it's like getting kicked in the head by life but in a brilliant way. My wife joined the Irish Multiple Births Association (IMB), you get a 10 % discount in some shops so you'll get your subscription back in no time. They have a face book page which should be free to join and they will be able to tell you everything you need to know.

You can get a base for triplets I've seen a picture of one ask the IMB somebody there will know. After that a ISO fix base can also be belted in so you should get three across the back seat.

Depending on how much driving you will be doing have a look at an early 2000's merk estate, they are often good value and big enough for most needs. Or a subur forester

Good luck with every thing, one advice bank some sleep you'll miss it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are very few cars that fit 3 baby seats across the back and then think about all the "stuff" that you need if you are going anywhere.
    I would mostly definately go with a small 7 seater,room for 3 seats and plenty of boot space for triple buggy and the other random things you need for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I agree we don't have multiples but we have two 12 months a part, which is tricky in itself. We have a BMW and boot is just a pain to deal with. I've to take all wheels off double buggy and the second seat and still its a squeeze and in the backseat we have like half a foot between the two seats its a nightmare if we go shopping for anything. I think 7 seater I know if I had a third it would be a must for us..

By the way congrats! Wish my two were twins

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

We have 3 small boys with a 4th on the way! We have a Peugeot 5008, plenty of room for 3 seats in plus room for buggies and bags!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 4,the eldest is 5 and have a Ford Galaxy and it is fine for 4 but was awesome for 3.
    I can still fit the double buggy in and the dog and enough for a weekend away but for summer holidays we needed a roof box.

Advertisement