Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Health Insurance: is there always a 5 yr pre-existing condition period?

Options
  • 18-07-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

We let our health insurance lapse for 1.5 years, and are now looking at getting cover again. One of the downsides of the lapse is that it looks like all insurance providers have a 5 year wait period for pre-existing conditions. I wasn't really aware that "pre-existing condition" means a condition that could be newly diagnosed after the insurance has commenced, but my understanding is that if the consultants report says that the condition started (undiagnosed) prior to the insurance period, then it won't be covered.

2 questions:

1. does this mean that if I take out insurance in 2014, and say, a tumour is diagnosed in 2017, that looks like it's been slowly growing since 2013, I wouldn't be covered for treatment of that tumour?
    2. Is this 5 year wait period ever waived or reduced by any of the insurance companies?

Laya and VHI both said they wouldn't impose the usual 6 month wait period for cover that would normally apply when insurance is taken out after a break of more than 13 weeks. But gave no indication on flexibility re. 5 year pre-existing wait period.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

grazer wrote: »
    We let our health insurance lapse for 1.5 years, and are now looking at getting cover again. One of the downsides of the lapse is that it looks like all insurance providers have a 5 year wait period for pre-existing conditions. I wasn't really aware that "pre-existing condition" means a condition that could be newly diagnosed after the insurance has commenced, but my understanding is that if the consultants report says that the condition started (undiagnosed) prior to the insurance period, then it won't be covered.

2 questions:

1. does this mean that if I take out insurance in 2014, and say, a tumour is diagnosed in 2017, that looks like it's been slowly growing since 2013, I wouldn't be covered for treatment of that tumour?
    2. Is this 5 year wait period ever waived or reduced by any of the insurance companies?

Laya and VHI both said they wouldn't impose the usual 6 month wait period for cover that would normally apply when insurance is taken out after a break of more than 13 weeks. But gave no indication on flexibility re. 5 year pre-existing wait period.

The insurance companies will always try to swing this clause in their favour.... But generally, the crucial date is when you or your doctor became aware of the condition.... So yes, a tumour could have been slowly growing prior to cover but as long as you or your doctor only became aware of it while covered then you should be ok.

Advertisement