Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Dublin Fusiliers grave outside main grave

Options
  • 18-07-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Does anyone know why the grave (01/09/1915) of "Private Owen McAuley" is located outside the main graveyard in Confey Cemetery?

The grave is located roughly where I have placed this marker, and is farily new compared to other graves nearby (other graves there are all worn away).

The plot is fairly small, and there is no other graves nearby it.

Thus I'm wondering why it's outside the main graveyard? Was it religion, politics, or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

the_syco wrote: »
    Thus I'm wondering why it's outside the main graveyard? Was it religion, politics, or something else?

I've heard stories over similar incidents, usually it was on religious grounds, many graveyards are separated off or contained within a walled area for those of different faiths, where there are insufficient number to warrant a separate graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I've heard stories over similar incidents, usually it was on religious grounds, many graveyards are separated off or contained within a walled area for those of different faiths, where there are insufficient number to warrant a separate graveyard.
    Something I forgot to say was that the grave is about 6 or 10 feet north of the ruins of the old Confey church/St. Columba’s Church. Not sure if this would have any significance.

Advertisement