Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philipp Lahm retires from international football

• 18-07-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I was surprised to hear this, he is still only 30 and would have so much still to offer. Thought he would give the Euro's a go before calling it a day, the only medal he is missing. One of the most consistent players I've ever watched and will be missed by Germany.

But what a way to retire.

10027605.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

He doesn't have a Europa League medal either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

What a player, easily one of the best I've seen.

Far too young to retire, thought he could at least have stayed for the Euro's.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If he has the willpower to stay away, fair play to him. Quitting at the top is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would imagine his thinking is along the lines of that he could stay for the Euros but if he did that he would probably get tempted for another crack at the World Cup.

I think the Euros will probably lose it prestige in 2016 now that they are letting in a lot of weaker teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I thought he'd go after Euro 2016 but going out after captaining your side to the WC in Brazil is pretty special too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It is a strange move as Lahm is arguably just in his prime now. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back on his decision and returns... Germany should win the Euro's tbh and I think Lahm is too much of a competitor to miss out on that. Some way to go out though if he sticks with it. Great player and captain, wouldn't be at all surprised if he's up there for the Ballon D'Or in January. He could easily play at the top level for Bayern for another 5/6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thomas Muller looks like he has fangs in that picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

gimmick wrote: »
    Thomas Muller looks like he has fangs in that picture

There are hundreds of photo's of him celebrating like that. He does it all the time and it looks bizarre. :P

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Shocked at this, would definitely be a starter for the Euros you'd expect and possibly the World Cup in 2018

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Didn't expect this at all, would have thought he'd have at least played the next euros

Top class player, probably the best full back of his generation

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Retiring from (international football) at the top the world, or go out limply in tournament(s) after that like a Xavi for example? Good call by him. And yes, there is a difference between Spain and Germany's squads now, but you just never know, they might disappoint in 2016 or 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Retiring from (international football) at the top the world, or go out limply in tournament(s) after that like a Xavi for example? Good call by him. And yes, there is a difference between Spain and Germany's squads now, but you just never know, they might disappoint in 2016 or 2018.
    It doesn't matter when a great player retires. Lahm will always be regarded as one of the best full backs to have ever played the game just like Xavi will always be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wonder if he got the hump being asked to play full back?

Advertisement