Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is BIG a standardised format for Hard Drives

Options
  • 18-07-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

I have a dual bay USB enclosure with two 3.5" SATA (1TB & 500GB) drives configured as BIG. This is the 'puter sees them as one big 1.5" Drive. It's a noisy old enclosure and I only used it for back ups and leave it switched off most of the time.

Anyway, it looks like the enclosure has failed - powers on but the drives don't spin up - and I want to replace it.

If I get a new enclosure that supports BIG, will it just be a case of swapping the drives over? Or does each enclosure have its own ideas about how the BIG format should look?

Alternatively, if I just want to pull the data off these drives, if I pop them into a single bay enclosure individually, will they be readable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

BIG is just a spanned volume. I don't know of any hardware implementations, but it's supported natively in Windows anyway.

So, yes, you should be able to just pop them in a new enclosure.

Just be aware that, like RAID0, you have no redundancy with a spanned volume. If one drive dies you lose data on both. One drive will not work without the other.

Honestly, a spanned volume has absolutely no benefits apart from having one less drive letter to worry about. Really not worth the risk.

Advertisement