Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding/choosing a pup

• 18-07-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

I'm on the lookout for a pup/young dog. Smallish breed, probably a poodle x or bichon x of some description. Ideally from a rescue but I'm not going to stand on my head, give them enough information for identity theft or let them poke around in my underwear drawer. :o I'm willing to purchase a dog from a reputable breeder but want to avoid puppy farms.

What rescues/pounds do you folks currently recommend? Please reply to that by PM per the charter.

Please let me know if you know of any suitable pups are likely to become available inside a two-three hour drive of Dublin.

I'll be needing pet insurance. I'd appreciate a steer on that; again, would that need to be via PM?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A reputable breeder in general would not do cross breeds as they are not recognised; only something to keep in mind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout for a pup/young dog. Smallish breed, probably a poodle x or bichon x of some description. Ideally from a rescue but I'm not going to stand on my head, give them enough information for identity theft or let them poke around in my underwear drawer. :o I'm willing to purchase a dog from a reputable breeder but want to avoid puppy farms.

What rescues/pounds do you folks currently recommend? Please reply to that by PM per the charter.

Please let me know if you know of any suitable pups are likely to become available inside a two-three hour drive of Dublin.

I'll be needing pet insurance. I'd appreciate a steer on that; again, would that need to be via PM?

Many thanks!

As previous poster said, you won't be getting crosses from any reputable breeders.
    First off, why a poodle or bichon? Is there a reason you like that breed? Just to give us a better idea of what it is you want from a dog :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    As previous poster said, you won't be getting crosses from any reputable breeders.
    Hmmm. Good point. Happy accidents then perhaps.
    First off, why a poodle or bichon? Is there a reason you like that breed? Just to give us a better idea of what it is you want from a dog :)

I've medical issues including allergies and asthma. It's not just 'too lazy to vacuum'. Other low-shed types could also be part of the equation. ;)

My friend had poodles and I like their cop-on so I'd tend to favour them over bichons who I've heard are a bit difficult to train.

Hmmm. Good point. Happy accidents then perhaps.

I've medical issues including allergies and asthma. It's not just 'too lazy to vacuum'. Other low-shed types could also be part of the equation. ;)

My friend had poodles and I like their cop-on so I'd tend to favour them over bichons who I've heard are a bit difficult to train.

Well it is worth mentioning then that there is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that these breeds or crosses of them will be low/non-shed :o Come across a lot of cases on here where people get them (and even pay breeders for them) thinking it won't aggravate their allergies, when they find out that the dog does in fact shed, or that it is dog dander that is the problem, and not the fur!

To put in a slightly different context - I have blue eyes and my partner brown. Our child could have either. Just so a non or low shedding dog bred with another dog might yield a non/low shed pup, but just as likely might not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You could apply to local rescues to be a foster for a dog, stating your allergies and that if the particular dog did aggravate your health that it could go back? That way you're not tied to a particular dog if things do go pear shaped healthwise. Most rescues don't want a pound of flesh, just the knowledge that your garden is secure, the dog will live as part of the family and there's somebody home for company and supervision most of the time. And good fosters are worth their weight in gold.

• Advertisement

I understand the genetics and I've been fine with a number of breeds while staying with/minding them. I also know there are no guarantees about anything.

I just want to be as sensible as possible. I know myself and if I meet a dog and take him or her home, there's no way it'll be going back. If allergy problems arise I'll deal with them. I'm just trying to give us both the best possible chance of a long and happy relationship and avoid potential problems in advance. I know if I go to the pound or start to foster that I'll want to keep every dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have allergies/asthma and 2 golden retrievers. It's the dander/dead skin that causes problems so just brush the dog down regularly and you should be fine

I understand the genetics and I've been fine with a number of breeds while staying with/minding them. I also know there are no guarantees about anything.

I just want to be as sensible as possible. I know myself and if I meet a dog and take him or her home, there's no way it'll be going back. If allergy problems arise I'll deal with them. I'm just trying to give us both the best possible chance of a long and happy relationship and avoid potential problems in advance. I know if I go to the pound or start to foster that I'll want to keep every dog.

Okay, well if the allergy thing isn't a huge problem, then how about telling us what you'd like in a doggy friend? :) I assume from the bichon comment you'd like a type that's easier to train? What about energy levels, grooming requirements, size etc? I know of a few rescues close enough to Dublin that I'd consider very reputable, but it depends on what you might be after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My boss has asthma and allergies and has a dog, her husband/kids do like tk says and brush or wash the dog regularly.
    So long as that's kept up she's fine with the dog sitting on her lap or even sleeping on her bed!
    The dog is just a cross breed, they were told the mother was a border collie x Pom, maybe, and dad was unknown, but she's small enough.

Thanks people.

I'm fine with grooming, feel a bit guilty about wanting a pup and more-so about being picky about which pup but I've been thinking about this for a few years and have paid my dues in terms of volunteering on several fronts both human and creatures. I've done the walking, newspapers, blankety-stuff and cash for quite a long time. I'm not a fosterer. I know that and so I want this companion to be right. Lower energy (Cavalier?) smallish, smart or responsive, affectionate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Don't think cavaliers are low energy? Mines an old man at 10 and although he does know how to sleep he still walks hour and a half each day and barks a lot if he's bored. Their health problems would also put me off even though i'm lucky at his age he only has problems with his eyes. If you look up the horrible diseases they're prone to, even if you went to a good breeder i don't think it'd be worth the worry. I only adopted my guy 5 months ago by the way so haven't had him that long and am hoping he stays healthy!

Advertisement