Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible???

Options
  • 18-07-2014 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I wish to inquire if it would be possible to avail of a grant from SUSI to pursue a level 9 Masters in a science discipline for 2014/2015 if one has already availed of a grant in 2010/2011 academic year for a postgraduate masters level 9 course of which exams were passed but thesis was never completed due to becoming unwell at the time and therefore never received a qualification for the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BigCOB

Did you take the post-graduate exit option on the first course? Were the fees paid to the college? Post graduated diplomas are at the same level as a masters and as such if fees were already paid then technically you have already availed of the level 9 funding and will not be able for a second one. It is however worth calling SUSI to discuss the course, or indeed perhaps the original college first, but bear in mind, if the fees were returned to SUSI for whatever reason then you will be liable for the original fees.

Another thing to note is that I was almost sure that masters were only covered if you rolled from undergrad straight into it, not when returning to pursue one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dougalbear

Thank you BigCOB for taking the time to reply to me. Firstly with regards to your question did "I take the post-graduate exit option"....I didnt because until now I never knew of such an option. My fees were paid by the VEC in 2010 to the college. It was a masters level 9 that I attended and when I spoke to the college fees office today I was told that there is no problem in coming back to pursue a different level 9 masters course but there was no mention of if the fees were returned to SUSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BigCOB

Post graduate diploma exit is usually on offer for masters programs, it is basically the same, you have completed all the modules and requirement, exams etc but just have not submit a thesis, as I said, both are level 9. If this is the case, then I would be inclined to contact Academic Administration of your college and request this. The request needs to be official, they should then issue you with a post-grad dip. Are you returning to study the same thing is it?

Anyway, again to reiterate, I am under the distinct impression that fees are covered for 1 post grad when going straight from undergrad, I don't believe it is possible to return after a break and pursue a funded masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dougalbear

The same dissertation/thesis that I tried to complete for my masters is a module in the level 9 Postgraduate Diploma as well unfortunately. As far as I know if 5 years have lapsed after a course a student has not completed they can be deemed eligible for tuition fees paid if they pursue a course at the same level. If this is so it would give me hope for this time next year I expect.

Advertisement