Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HEAR Orientation 2014 (NUIG)

• 18-07-2014 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am a past student of the HEAR Scheme from 2012. I was a mentor last year and will be again this year. So if anyone has any questions about Orientation from the 24th-27th of August or about HEAR in general, then give me a shout! Otherwise see you all soon!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Hi Mr-Talk, is 24-27th August orientation days for HEAR applicants only or for all groups? I am starting nursing as a mature student any ideas of dates for me? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Hi My son is hoping to attend the orientation what exactly happens and do they stay on campus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mr. Talk

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Hi Mr-Talk, is 24-27th August orientation days for HEAR applicants only or for all groups? I am starting nursing as a mature student any ideas of dates for me? thanks
    Hi QueenBee1,
    The 24th to 27th is only for the first years who are under 23. Are you coming to college through the access program? If you are then I suggest you contact Imelda Byrne. Just go to the nuig access webpage for contact details. I can only speak for those on the HEAR Scheme.
    Mature students are not on the HEAR Scheme.

lulu1 wrote: »
    Hi My son is hoping to attend the orientation what exactly happens and do they stay on campus
    Hi "lulu1"
    On the first day which is a Sunday, you and your sun will arrive at 3:00pm in which you will be given an introduction to the whole program. Afterwards you will be given a tour of the campus. Then you will be brought to dinner (which is free of any cost). Once you finish, the parents will depart and your son will be divided into a group of about six. Your son will be staying overnight in Corrib Village for the 3 nights.
    The 3 days will consist of lectures, activities and entertainment. The lectures will give him an introduction to university and should give him a head start to the rest of the first years.
    If your son is from Galway, then he may stay in his own house if he wishes and then return in the morning.
    All expenses are paid for by the Access office. You will only be asked to contribute €20 to help with some of the costs.

If you want me to clarify on anything I just said then don't hesitate to ask me.

Hi Thanks alot

Have you any idea what date collage starts for first years

• Advertisement

Hi Thanks alot

Have you any idea what date collage starts for first years

Orientation 1st years Tuesday 2nd - Friday 5th September 2014,

Start of teaching for all years - Monday 8th September 2014

Hi again so sorry for all the questions My son has acc booked in corrib village when would you advise to come to corrib to get settled in before starting on the 8th

Hi again so sorry for all the questions My son has acc booked in corrib village when would you advise to come to corrib to get settled in before starting on the 8th

Anytime after the 1st of September. At the HEAR orientation he will be given a tour of Galway city and the college campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

If you are a HEAR Student do you have two orientations? Do you go to the HEAR one and then attend the other one for all 1st years? Is the book voucher what you get instead of the small grant?

If you are a HEAR Student do you have two orientations? Do you go to the HEAR one and then attend the other one for all 1st years? Is the book voucher what you get instead of the small grant?
    If you attend the HEAR orientation then it is not essential that you attend the second one. The orientation for all first years is different this year as it is a week long as opposed to one day long last year. So you should attend the second orientation.

As a HEAR student you get a €250 book voucher. But you only get this if you attend the HEAR orientation. Every student can apply for the student assistant fund in October. But HEAR Students tend to get more that anyone else. Last year I got €1200, while the other students got between €600-1000. Bear in mind that you will need to produce receipts to get the money. These receipts can be from rent, food, bills etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

What is the maximum amount you can claim from the student assistance fund or is there a max?

Mr. Talk wrote: »
    If you attend the HEAR orientation then it is not essential that you attend the second one. The orientation for all first years is different this year as it is a week long as opposed to one day long last year. So you should attend the second orientation.

As a HEAR student you get a €250 book voucher. But you only get this if you attend the HEAR orientation. Every student can apply for the student assistant fund in October. But HEAR Students tend to get more that anyone else. Last year I got €1200, while the other students got between €600-1000. Bear in mind that you will need to produce receipts to get the money. These receipts can be from rent, food, bills etc.

Is the students assistance fund another grant you get as well as the susi grant

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    What is the maximum amount you can claim from the student assistance fund or is there a max?
    The max is €2000, though it is rare to be allocated anywhere near that amount.

Is the students assistance fund another grant you get as well as the susi grant
    Yes, even the students who are not eligible for the SUSI grant are entitled to apply for the s.a.f. Online applications open in October with payment into your account on November. Start collecting your receipts now.

Mr. Talk wrote: »
    Yes, even the students who are not eligible for the SUSI grant are entitled to apply for the s.a.f. Online applications open in October with payment into your account on November. Start collecting your receipts now.

I have booked Corrib Village for accommodation, does a receipt from that count? So you recommend that I should go to the HEAR orientation and the normal 1st year one?

I have booked Corrib Village for accommodation, does a receipt from that count? So you recommend that I should go to the HEAR orientation and the normal 1st year one?[/Q

I have booked Corrib Village for accommodation, does a receipt from that count? So you recommend that I should go to the HEAR orientation and the normal 1st year one?
    Yes, they will accept receipts for everything except clothes, alcohol etc.
    As i said before the orientation for all first years is different this year, so I don't have exact details. Why not go to it anyways? what else are you going to be doing at the start of September? I suggest you contact Una Mcdermott who is in charge of the Orientation for all first years. Just google her name and you should find her contact details there.

You do not go to both. If you are on the hear scheme you go to that orientation if you are not on the scheme you dont go.
    Who said that?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

In the other thread I asked about leaving the orientation to go to my debs, so would they let me go home the Tuesday night? Because my debs is on Wednesday and who would I say it to that I had to leave and when would I tell them?

Janeh9 wrote: »
    In the other thread I asked about leaving the orientation to go to my debs, so would they let me go home the Tuesday night? Because my debs is on Wednesday and who would I say it to that I had to leave and when would I tell them?
    Yes they will let you go home on Tuesday. You may go whenever you wish. They are not strict about that. You will have to tell your mentor on the day and they will sign you out.

• Advertisement

Its worth mentioning that if you turn down the chance to attend the HEAR orientation, you are missing out on getting a €250 book voucher as well as extra money in the student assistance fund. Last year 290 students were offered a place and only 240 accepted and attended. The only reason people are reluctant to go is because they are too nervous. Groups are small, so you should feel at ease after a while. Everyone is nervous and your mentor will be aware of that. Remember no one will know each other, so your all in the same boat.

Hi Could you tell me please the difference between orientation and freshers week and do you have to attend both?

Hi Could you tell me please the difference between orientation and freshers week and do you have to attend both?

At Orientation you will be provided with important information on your academic programme(timetables, subject choice) and support services; Orientation includes a special session for parents. This will be the only opportunity students will have during their time with us to have the campus to themselves, to familiarise themselves with the campus, the people and each other. (copied and pasted) YES YOU HAVE TO ATTEND.

Freshers forthnigh is just a variety of entertainment events. No, you don't have to attend.

I have to remind you all that its recommended that you accept your CEO offer on the very first day the offers are given. Info packs for the HEAR Orientation have to be sent out on the Tuesday after the offers are given. Remember that Orientation begins the day before the offers close.

One more question about leaving early for my debs :P

will it affect the benefits you get from hear if i leave?

One more question about leaving early for my debs :P

will it affect the benefits you get from hear if i leave?
    No.

Hi I have just seen on the nui website where students can ask a question. Someone asked when did collage start for first years. The moderator answered that collage starts for 1st years on 1st September and during that week you will get your timetable and whatever else you need.What I would like to know is do 1st year students still have to attend the orientation on 24 aug. they both sound very similar. I know if you dont attend the orientation you dont get the book voucher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Hi I have just seen on the nui website where students can ask a question. Someone asked when did collage start for first years. The moderator answered that collage starts for 1st years on 1st September and during that week you will get your timetable and whatever else you need.What I would like to know is do 1st year students still have to attend the orientation on 24 aug. they both sound very similar. I know if you dont attend the orientation you dont get the book voucher
    College starts 1st and it'll be orientation and registration. It may be similar but you may as well go in and meet majority of your class mates. There'll be much fewer in 24th and you will meet more and see more by going in. What's harm of not going on the 1st?

College starts 1st and it'll be orientation and registration. It may be similar but you may as well go in and meet majority of your class mates. There'll be much fewer in 24th and you will meet more and see more by going in. What's harm of not going on the 1st?

do you think my daughter should attend the both she will have to stay from 24 to 27 aug and then go back on the 1 sept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 FBee

do you think my daughter should attend the both she will have to stay from 24 to 27 aug and then go back on the 1 sept

Yes.

If your daughter got into her course with the help of HEAR (i.e she fell short of the points for the course but still got in with HEAR) then she needs to attend the orientation or else she will loose her place. If she got enough points for her course but still got accepted to HEAR then she doesn't have to go to the HEAR orientation but she will miss out on the benefits throughout the year such as the book token, more money allocated to student assistant fund etc.

The HEAR orientation is a fun filled three days which will help introduce your daughter to college life and to meet people on her course but also people on other courses too. There are a number of activities to help the students mix and get talking. It also helps give them advice about signing up to blackboard, cass accounts, course information, clubs and societies, tips on accommodation, other help such as SUMS and just general tips to help make the transition to college life easier. Its a very enjoyable few days and I know many say it is one of their favourite and more memorable parts of college.

The normal college orientation is when they will be with everyone on their course. It gives them their timetable, a quick tour around the college grounds and registration. They also meet others from their course. It helps when they already know people from the HEAR orientation.

I don't understand why people would not attend the HEAR orientation if they get the chance to do it because they will miss out. It is very enjoyable and very beneficial introduction to college.

Yes she will be attending Its just when its the first in the family it's a bit confusing. Like she has to go on 24 -27 aug and then go back for a week of something similar on 1st Sept although I know that is starting date for first years.

Yes she will be attending Its just when its the first in the family it's a bit confusing. Like she has to go on 24 -27 aug and then go back for a week of something similar on 1st Sept although I know that is starting date for first years.

Oh I hope my post did not come across as being rude, I never meant it too, just trying to tell you more about the different orientations.
    When it is the first in the family then I'm sure it is somethimes confusing, especially when you don't know what to expect.
    It does sound a bit silly having to go to both but it is definitely worth it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 caitrionaM94

Hello Mr.Talk, I have been accepted by Hear and i have got letters from the other colleges about their orientation dates etc but i have never got one from NUIG ...does this mean that i have not been accepted by NUIG hear program :O

FBee wrote: »
    Oh I hope my post did not come across as being rude, I never meant it too, just trying to tell you more about the different orientations.
    When it is the first in the family then I'm sure it is somethimes confusing, especially when you don't know what to expect.
    It does sound a bit silly having to go to both but it is definitely worth it. :)

No not at all just want to make sure she dosen't miss out on anything. Anyway I'm sure she will get something in the post to tell us exactly what she needs to attend.

Thanks for reply

Uhm if we got accepted into hear would it have said so in the cao offers? or would we find out in the next few days

• Advertisement

Hi I know the hear orientation starts at 3 o clock on Sunday 24 August could someone tell me what time it finishes on Wednesday

Uhm if we got accepted into hear would it have said so in the cao offers? or would we find out in the next few days

My daughter applied through the hear as well but it said nothing about it in the offers we were thinking that because she got the points she needed that might have something to do with it. Might ring cao tomorrow and find out

My mam is ringing HEAR tomoro I don't imagine cao could be much help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dan1

Hi if your mum rings hear and i ring can between the. Two of us we might get an answer

It didn't in mine. The first time I found out about it was when I got an email from the college.
    Hi I know the hear orientation starts at 3 o clock on Sunday 24 August could someone tell me what time it finishes on Wednesday

It finishes at 5pm on Wed.
    My daughter applied through the hear as well but it said nothing about it in the offers we were thinking that because she got the points she needed that might have something to do with it. Might ring cao tomorrow and find out

I was like your daughter, I got enough points and nothing was mentioned in my offers but I got an email a day or two after the offers and found out then about the Hear. The email was directly from the college.

Your best bet would be to ring the HEAR access office as NUIG if you have any questions, they will be much more use to your rather than the CAO at this stage.

• Advertisement

hi We are after getting a letter in post from nui galway hear orientation programme with a few forms to fill in before thursday. Still didnt know if we were in through hear so phoned nui and they said because we got the orientation leaflet we were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Will parking be full during 24th-27th? How early would I need to be to get public parking spot?

Does anyone know if people are bringing their parents and if so how long they will be staying for? Do they just stay for the questions and answers part?

Final question: Is sports a huge part of the week because I am not really into sports at all :/

hi We are after getting a letter in post from nui galway hear orientation programme with a few forms to fill in before thursday. Still didnt know if we were in through hear so phoned nui and they said because we got the orientation leaflet we were.

Great! If you get a letter/email about the orientation then that means that you are in :)
    Does anyone know if people are bringing their parents and if so how long they will be staying for? Do they just stay for the questions and answers part?

Final question: Is sports a huge part of the week because I am not really into sports at all :/

Most people tend to bring their parents (sometimes maybe an aunt, uncle or friend instead) Students and guests will arrive at 3pm and the parents have to go at around 7ish. The talk is only about an hour but they bring them for a tour of the campus and dinner.
    No sports isn't a huge part, if your not into it then you can just watch and talk with the other students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 19967

Hi, I got a letter from nuig today about the hear orientation. I did not need to use hear points to get into my course but yet the woman in the college said I need to go to this. I don't think I am able to go to it so what happens if I can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 conorc94

19967 wrote: »
    Hi, I got a letter from nuig today about the hear orientation. I did not need to use hear points to get into my course but yet the woman in the college said I need to go to this. I don't think I am able to go to it so what happens if I can't?

HEAR isn't just for people who didn't get enough points. Even if you got enough points, you can still get accepted through the HEAR scheme. You have to attend or you may lose your place on the course, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KamKam

I got the letter today, and unfortunately my parents can't go up to Galway with me, do I still have to attend the Orientation Programme on the 24th? Or can I just sign up on the 25th?

KamKam wrote: »
    I got the letter today, and unfortunately my parents can't go up to Galway with me, do I still have to attend the Orientation Programme on the 24th? Or can I just sign up on the 25th?

you should email the lady who sent the letter she will be able to tell you.

KamKam wrote: »

I'm unsure what you mean by can you just sign up on the 25th? The orientation starts the 24th until the 27th and you the student has to be there for all of them days. If your parents can't come on the 24th with you when you arrive then that's completely fine, sometimes some parents can't or choose not to come and its not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 derbyk

hi Mr Talk,
    do students who get the HEAR have to attend the orientation programme?

• Advertisement
Advertisement