Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HEAR Orientation 2014 (NUIG)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 FBee

derbyk wrote: »
    hi Mr Talk,
    do students who get the HEAR have to attend the orientation programme?

I'm not Mr Talk, I think he got banned from boards for some reason :P but I'll try and answer your questions..
    If you get into your course with a HEAR place and you didn't recieve the points for your course then you have to do the orientation or risk loosing your place on your course. But if you got a HEAR place and you got enough points for your course then you don't have to go to the orientation but you loose your HEAR place and therefore all the benefits from HEAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 derbyk

are you sure that you wouldn't lose your place if you dont turn up and got enough points for your course, as i read somewhere else that you could lose your college place whether you got the points for not , if you dont go.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dan1

FBee wrote: »
    I'm not Mr Talk, I think he got banned from boards for some reason :P but I'll try and answer your questions..
    If you get into your course with a HEAR place and you didn't recieve the points for your course then you have to do the orientation or risk loosing your place on your course. But if you got a HEAR place and you got enough points for your course then you don't have to go to the orientation but you loose your HEAR place and therefore all the benefits from HEAR.

Hi so the long and short of it is if you got accepted through hear you go to the orientation weather you got enough points or you didn't get enough points. Would that be correct ?

derbyk wrote: »
    are you sure that you wouldn't lose your place if you dont turn up and got enough points for your course, as i read somewhere else that you could lose your college place whether you got the points for not , if you dont go.

Unless they changed it this year for NUIG. But in the past that's how it was. You will need to obviously get in contact with them and ring them and explain that you can't/don't want to go to the orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 derbyk

ok thanks

dan1 wrote: »
    Hi so the long and short of it is if you got accepted through hear you go to the orientation weather you got enough points or you didn't get enough points. Would that be correct ?

Well yes. If you a HEAR place (whether or not you got the points) then you do the orientation and you get the benefits throughout the year (book token, additional student assistant funds etc).

I think many students only hear about how HEAR lets them get into the course if they didn't get enough points and that's where all the confusion comes out of. I myself thought that was true. But that is only one of the benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Does anyone know how can i find out what date my course starts on? I have no clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Does anyone know how can i find out what date my course starts on? I have no clue
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/academic_dates/academic_term_dates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 scatmanscat

Is the book token and additional student assistant funds the main benefits of HEAR, what else can I expect from HEAR. I will be attending the orientation programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

How do they alocate rooms for the orientation? Like I know there are shared rooms in Corrib Village so will there be two people to some rooms?

What kind of bags do most people bring? or are bringing this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KamKam

What kind of bags do most people bring? or are bringing this week?

I have the exact same question, and since we need to bring clothes and toiletries for 3 nights, will there be a place to put our bags? Or will we have to walk around with them until we get our accommodation at the end of the day?

Janeh9 wrote: »
    How do they alocate rooms for the orientation? Like I know there are shared rooms in Corrib Village so will there be two people to some rooms?
    Im just guessing but course/age etc may help decide how people are allocated to accomodation
    KamKam wrote: »
    I have the exact same question, and since we need to bring clothes and toiletries for 3 nights, will there be a place to put our bags? Or will we have to walk around with them until we get our accommodation at the end of the day?
    The SU have a bag drop but that may not be open yet. There'll be places to leave gear so you wont be carrying them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Janeh9 wrote: »

I would think maybe that if you booked a single room then they would probably give you a single for the orientation and the same for anyone that booked a shared, they woud be sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 2 scatmanscat

Is the book token and additional student assistant funds the main benefits of HEAR, what else can I expect from HEAR. I will be attending the orientation programme.

Anybody no????

• Advertisement

Anybody no????
    As far as I know there is a students assistant fund that opens in October that also helps with costs but you must keep all your receipts for purchases

Are we staying in Corrib for the 4 days of Orientation with 4 other people? Do you think it would be possible to leave Wednesday?

Are we staying in Corrib for the 4 days of Orientation with 4 other people? Do you think it would be possible to leave Wednesday?

All info is in the orientation letter that you should have got if you are going on Sunday and the same with corrib if you are staying there you will have that info as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thomasjoyce73

What do you have to bring to the HEAR orientation

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nousername12

Hi i was just wondering how did you become a hear mentor and also how can you apply to be a tour guide during orientation week?

• Advertisement

Hi i was just wondering how did you become a hear mentor and also how can you apply to be a tour guide during orientation week?
    Contact the disability office about HEAR and becoming a mentor through them. Not sure who best to contact about orientation week etc but talk to SID etc and find out there would probably work...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Contact the disability office about HEAR and becoming a mentor through them. Not sure who best to contact about orientation week etc but talk to SID etc and find out there would probably work...

For Orientation week maybe try Marketing Office in the Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

What dates is HEAR orientation on in NUIG this month?

danube wrote: »
    What dates is HEAR orientation on in NUIG this month?

If you check their website you might find the dates there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 biosci

Sorry to bump an old thread but am I obligated to spend the 3 nights in Corrib? I live in Galway so would I be able to go home in the evening and come back in the morning?

biosci wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread but am I obligated to spend the 3 nights in Corrib? I live in Galway so would I be able to go home in the evening and come back in the morning?
    Its not an old thread...
    No you are not obligated to stay in Corrib. If you live in the City you wont have to stay in Corrib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 biosci

Its not an old thread...
    No you are not obligated to stay in Corrib. If you live in the City you wont have to stay in Corrib

Misread the date of the last post and thought it said 2014, pardon :P
    Ah wonderful. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Firstly123

Do you avail for fee accommodation as part of hear??

Firstly123 wrote: »
    Do you avail for fee accommodation as part of hear??

Do you mean free ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Firstly123

yes i meant free

• Advertisement

Firstly123 wrote: »
    yes i meant free

No you have to pay your own acc fees

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GG396

Its not an old thread...

Are you sure about this? I emailed the access office and they said students are not permitted to leave at all.

Could anyone tell me what the kitchens are like in Corrib? I plan on bringing some food to heat up, will I get the chance?

Advertisement