Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford vs Galway

Options
  • 18-07-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Thinking if buying holiday home in Dunmore East Waterford - grew up close by and live the area. However , all my family live in Galway between Oughterard, Tuam and Milltown. They r suggesting I buy there - we visit there 4/ 5 times a year and my daughter spends 5 wks every year I. The Garlteacht. A nice house had come up at the edge of Oughterard Village. My family are suggesting that the kids would also then have the choice of going to UCG or GMIT if the wished. I like Oughterard also but there is no beach for water sports as their is in a Dunmore East. I have sold a property and I intended to use the money for a holiday home in an area I could retire to. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these locations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I live in Galway, and for holidaying I would pick the sunny south east over the watery-west, any day!

If your kids want to go to GMIT or NUIG (your people may not have heard it's got a new name), then living in Oughterard would be no use to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Thanks for your reply - I'm not sure the Sunny South East is that much sunnier - at times I think if!s a myth! Why would Oughterard not be much use to my kids if studying in Galway - my cousins travelled in from Tuam and Oughterard for college - do kids expect to live right beside college nowadays - I know attitudes and expectations change all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Transport costs are rising, its more ideal to live in the city when in college anwway

Advertisement