Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuam Aldi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Do we really need an Aldi? I think not. Give me a Dunnes Stores any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Mars Bar wrote: »

We need both

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

We stopped shopping in Tesco/Dunnes and switched 80% Aldi, 20% Lidl... The quality of food outta Aldi is perfect...

So for cost and quality I feel we need Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

LFC Murphy wrote: »

So for cost and quality I feel we need Aldi

And jobs too! Great news.

I would always preferred Aldi to Lidl myself, so I'm happy out. I think Lidl will come out badly from this however.

We wouldn't be lidl shoppers to much on our house. Not for food anyway. If aldi actually are better quality than lidl then great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We wouldn't be lidl shoppers to much on our house. Not for food anyway. If aldi actually are better quality than lidl then great!

Jeez, I think Lidl are superb. Maybe it varies from shop to shop.

Aldi is pretty good too, but some of the items aren't the nicest.

I used to shop Tesco, and what I get in Lidl is at least as good. Better for fruit and veg.

Das Kitty wrote: »

I used to shop Tesco, and what I get in Lidl is at least as good. Better for fruit and veg.

We struggle with lidl food wise coz we wouldn't be buying much in bulk. We go for the cleaning stuff and on the rare occasion, desserts!

Das Kitty wrote: »

Hi Kitty,

We think the exact opposite and find Aldi food superb :) so it'll be down to personal tastes etc...

Still as said above, great news for the area regardless.. jobs wise etc

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Mr Keek wrote: »
    And jobs too! Great news.
    Over time there will be few, if any, net extra jobs. There will be corresponding job losses in other Tuam shops and in nearby villages and towns. What is good is that the Aldi jobs will be better paid and with better employment conditions than those lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

Does anyone know what happened to the planned Aldi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

santing wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened to the planned Aldi?

Appeals against the granting of planning permission have failed. Its a matter of waiting now, like the wait for the Oranmore branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I dunno, I'm not inclined to shop there after the way they treat their staff after striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

Any update on this?

Still no movement on this. Anyone have any ideas as to why its delayed.

Any update on Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Lissavane wrote: »
    Over time there will be few, if any, net extra jobs. There will be corresponding job losses in other Tuam shops and in nearby villages and towns. What is good is that the Aldi jobs will be better paid and with better employment conditions than those lost.

Will employees be on zero hour contracts? If so, difficult for workers

Is the store being built or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Lidl taking advantage of the situation
    http://galwaybayfm.ie/lidl-seeks-demolish-tuam-store-replace-bigger-facility/

"LIDL SEEKS TO DEMOLISH TUAM STORE TO REPLACE WITH BIGGER FACILITY
    Galway Bay fm newsroom – Lidl is hoping to build a new discount foodstore in Tuam.

The company has applied to the county council for planning permission for the new building with an off-licence at the site of the existing Lidl store at Galway Road.
    The redeveloped Lidl site in Tuam, would mean demolishing the existing Lidl store and building a new larger single-storey foodstore in its place.

The car park at the Galway Road in Tuam would also be redeveloped and extended and the existing access for vehicles would be closed off.

The new entry and exit point would be via a proposed upgraded shared access with Steeltech Sheds and a planned filling station which was recently granted planning permission.

Separately, Steeltech Sheds has applied for planning permission to upgrade the access road currently servicing the company in order to serve the planning filling station and drive-thru facility.

A decision on the demolition of the Lidl store in Tuam to make way for a brand new Lidl building is due to be made next month."

Advertisement